Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate asking this, but I don't know where else to ask.

Everyone on here says to make sure that you're getting a puppy from a breeder you feel comfortable with. When I was doing my research, I found this breeder. I felt comfortable, she answered all of my questions, and in a timely fashion. So, I put a deposit down. Since I did that, it's taken her longer than before to respond to my e-mails, sometimes not responding at all. She hasn't initiated any conversations, nor has she officially told me that the mommy dog is pregnant. She's updated her website, so I know the pregnancy was confirmed, but she hasn't officially told me. She also didn't send me an e-mail letting me know the dog went into heat, or that she had been AI-ed. I had to ask. Is this normal? Should I be concerned, because I am.

I've been doing some light researching, since its been almost 2 weeks since my last contact with the breeder. But I'm morally stuck. I know I made a commitment to a litter, but I'm starting to worry about it more and more. Should I live with my decision, or go with my gut and find another litter?

I do know she's busy. She does have litter right now, and she's got three dogs that are going to be having puppies within a few days of each other (one of them lives with another breeder) at the end of July. So, should I cut the breeder some slack? I just don't know if this is normal. If it is, than its not a problem. But this is the first time I've gotten a puppy from a breeder, so I don't really know what to expect.

Thanks for your help! My boyfriend and I are just so torn right now.

Kristen (and Anthony)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Kristen, I don't know what the typical routine is, but Maureen didn't even ask for a deposit until the puppies were born and she could tell me what she had. Your breeder may just be super busy, and of course it also depends on how many emails and questions you sent, but you should be hearing something. On the other hand, her lack of responsiveness doesn't mean that the puppies won't be wonderful. It does sound as though she's set things up to have her hands really full, and then I'd wonder how much socialization each tiny doodle is going to get before it goes home to its permanent people.

Is there anything else that's suggesting to you that this might not be the best breeder besides her lack of follow-through?

Leslie

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, when my boyfriend and I decided to put a deposit down, I had been pressuring him to help me make the decision. I had been talking to her for a while, and like I said, she'd been really nice and informative, and quick to respond. So he said to go with her, doing the typical "I want to stop you from pestering me" response. I am also concerned that the type of coat that we're looking for isn't a possibility. I've been looking at the two litters she's had since I started talking to her, and none of the puppies appear to have that cute curly coat that I adore. Not say I wouldn't take what was given, but the cute little curl melts my heart. So I'm slightly confused.

I forgot to say that she said she would be able to produce the curly fleece coat, when I asked.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would check her website or perhaps a contract if you signed one and see what her deposit return policy is. You can PM me privately I would be happy to help you.

There are many breeders that do not take a deposit until pups are born and then will refund if the coat you are looking for does not present itself. That may make you feel more comfortable.

Mic

·
Registered
177 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, but go with your instincts. If you don't feel good about the breeder, since you gave your desposit then ask for it back. There is no excuse for not communicating with you. I shared email after email with my breeder before I even sent a deposit. In fact, I was making a decision between 2 females without a deposit and Jac (my awesome breeder, who I adore) had a another couple interested in one I was leaning towards. Jac told them she needed to find out from me first if I wanted her. With that being said, Jac never pressured me for a deposit and once I did give her one she communicated with me as much, if not more, about the puppies progress, plus sending me updated photos. I felt so darn comfortable with her prior to selecting a puppy that I had no reservations about anything she told me about her dogs. She communicated EVERYTHING about them without hesitation. Now I have an adorable 5 and a half month puppy named Abby who is more of a joy then I would have ever expected from her coat to her personality :lol: I wish you all the best with your decision, but remember, go with your instincts...they never let you down.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Can you call her on the phone? I was on the phone with Di frequently throughout the process.

PS - I usually go with my gut on things... :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
good idea, Lynn and tallady. Calling is good AND going with the gut is good. There's a reason we say choose your breeder carefully!

You might lose your deposit, but you WON'T have years of living with a puppy AND regret.

I give out my phone number and INVITE calls in the process of adoption. And breeders can get busy but there SHOULD be some communication.

I also have broken my own rule and refunded deposits if the coat someone wants, from the start, isn't in this particular litter. But I (obviously) like NOT having someone's money on deposit until I can actually see, and refer to specific puppies!

Also....DO NOT let anyone talk you in to choosing your puppy before he/she is 6wks old! The coats change! Yes, an experienced breeder will have a likely idea but believe me we're talking GENETICS here! It's not that predictable!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Paintsmeblue

Please listen to your heart and if it is telling
you to go with another breeder, then that is
what you must do. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Speaking from a terrible experience with the breeder of my first doodle..listen to the voice inside..be assertive...if you are having uneasiness then something maybe not right...this should be an exciting wonderful experience.. :? :?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Right now, this process isn't "fun." I'm honestly worried. But at the same time, I feel guilty about asking for my deposit back, especially since it was non-refundable.

But I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for the support.

Breeders, if I post pictures of the puppies, could you tell me if I'm right or wrong about the coat types?

*edit* Ok, so I can't copy the pictures, so if a breeder would like to help me, I'll send the website over a pm.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Paintsmeblue......go with your gut instinct!!! if you aren't comfortable then call the breeder and talk to her about getting your deposit back.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes she does. I just don't want to post it. Just because she might not be the right breeder for me, doesn't mean that she isn't the breeder for someone else. She is very nice.... but we just might not mesh well.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yes she does. I just don't want to post it. Just because she might not be the right breeder for me, doesn't mean that she isn't the breeder for someone else. She is very nice.... but we just might not mesh well.
Ok no problem I was just curious to see her site
and you are right she could very well be wonderful
but if you do not feel comfortable then you just don't.
Before I got Denver another breeder had come very
highly recommended to me, I did not like certain things she said or things not said and I looked elsewhere.
It really is a personal thing and who you
feel comfortable with. :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
she is a reputable breeder, but every breeder does things their own way. things vary so much among breeders that why after we lecture everyone on choosing a reputable breeder they still have to do MORE research and find the "right" reputable breeder for them!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, she is a reputable breeder. I asked all the right questions, and got the right answers. But now, I just don't think we "mesh." But I would never say anything bad about her. Because, just because we didn't mesh, doesn't mean that others won't be absolutely in love with her and her puppies. I would never want to tarnish her name.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Paintsmeblue
Do not be so hard on yourself, you are
more than allowed to feel what you feel
and if something bothers you then go with your inner voice
and at this point it does not matter if she is reputable or not,
it matters how comfortable you are. :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
First, thanks so much Terry (talllady)! Wow, you brought tears to my eyes!

Now, Kristen, I would call this breeder. Why? Because I can say from my own experience that sometimes the computer and emails are fallible! A while back, I discovered that my web page was not forwarding my email to me! I had a year and a half of email that I never responded to! But I had no idea. (I started from the beginning and wrote to every one to apologize...it was awful!)

Sometimes breeders do get very busy with litters and web issues and all of the business end of things, but they still should do their best to stay in touch with their clients, especially since they required a deposit.

I know how you feel, I gave a $500 deposit (yes, you read that correctly, $500!!) for a multigen puppy when I started...then we decided to breed and I found out that it would cost me $9000 to buy a breeding male, $13000 for a breeding female! Well, I said "Keep the deposit, I can't afford the puppy..." and took the loss. It was a kick in the gut, but in the end, I got two wonderful breeding F1 puppies for ... well, far less! LOL

I am not giving you advice either way, just trying to explain 1) these things can be caused by computer glitches and 2) you are not alone in feeling like you have made a horrible mistake.

The good thing about misunderstandings and mistakes is that they can be fixed! So, take heart...contact your breeder, and without saying anything that you might regret, explain that you are surprised that you have not heard from them, especially to confirm your place on the waiting list for the upcoming puppies.

Maybe you will be able to resolve this well.

If you would like for me to look at the web site and give an opinion about the coats, I'll be happy to...but it is tough to predict what the coats will be like until the pups are older, as Maureen said.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Jac! I did e-mail her a day ago. No news yet. I'm going to wait until Monday (I think) to call her. So we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That sounds good...I was thinking, with it being a holiday weekend for some, maybe she is out of town too...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts