Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST ***

PRESS CONFERENCE!!

There will be a Press Conference hosted on Monday, 9 July, by Senate Republican Caucus Chair George Runner (Antelope Valley). Sen. Runner will lead the opposition to AB1634 and will be joined at this Press Conference by:

Bill Hemby, Chair of PetPAC
Dr. Kathleen Kenyon, Sanger Veterinarian Hospital
Beth Shea, International Association of Assistant Dog Partners
Kelley Moran, Director of the "NO on AB1634" State Campaign

This Press Conference will be held at 10:30am at The State Capitol, Governor's Press Conference Room (#1190).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Best of luck. Please post synopsis/outcomes.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I saw snippets of the conf on the news last night. Bob Barker as spokesperson for the legislation??? I know he is an animal rights advocate but due to his recent "notariety" I would have looked elsewhere for a spokesperson.. I was, however, disappointed in what little I heard from the opposition to the bill. The rights of backyard breeders was advocated and that is not the right direction at all. I am anxious to see what happens tomorrow. Thanks, Jac, for your stalwart efforts!!
Diane and Dakota

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, it was very disappointing...very.
But, we are still going strong! It is beginning to sound like the Opposition is gaining much more power than the proponents...I hope so!
Still, if it doesn't fly this time, you can bet they will be back with another try!
What killed the support this time, I think is that they showed their hand...they let it be amended to allow only one litter...that opened the eyes of many people!
I want you all to know, if it has not already been mentioned, that Deb (our Deb, from A Sky View Labradoodles) wrote a letter to Roger Hedgecock from KOGO radio in San Diego, who is a talk show host opposing this bill...and he read her letter IN FULL on the air, during rush hour traffic!! Yaaaaayyyyy Deb! It created quite a discussion in opposition of the bill...that had to have helped us tremendously!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Leslie...the hearing will be online tomorrow...I'll post the info on a new thread!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Great going, Deb!

Excellent exposure right there....when the public gets into an on-air discussion that is a great sign. I bet people who never heard of this bill now will get involved. Here's hope that the momentum continues.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks, Lynn, and a hearty thanks to Jac, who read the amendment and gave me the ammo I needed to give Roger a sound bite.

I ran into a proponent of the bill at a dog show... she trains at a shelter, so "Knows a lot about it." I only wish she'd exhibited some understanding of the bill as it's written!

The thing that gets me is that dog owners are so blase` about it. "It doesn't affect me, since I already have a dog." Huh? I don't want this to be too big of a revelation, but the canine life span is generally a lot shorter than huimans. Chances are most of these dog owners will outlive Fido. It should come as quite a shock when the can't get another one!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers, Deb! Congratulations on a battle well fought!
Thanks so much for your contributions to this...you were great!
Did you listen to the hearing?
One of the senators (could have been Levine, but I couldn't tell) said that one woman, making the biggest impact on him, called his office, made an appointment and talked with him in person about her opposition.
Okay...that's what we do next! We get a group together, get talking points and make appointments...then follow up with letters in December!
You in? :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I saw a clip on CNN last night (actually early this morning, about 3:30am EST) about the bill--reporting on the bill being pulled till December. Gotta say though that the clips of the opposition were not all that compelling--the two people interviewed basically said they just didn't think the govt should be able to tell them what to do. Its a sentiment shared by many, but it didn't stack up too great to the shelter woman who spoke about having to decide which kittens would live. But there is lots of time to come up with some better arguments and press.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know! That's part of the problem. The press, sometimes, in order to get a breaking story will interview a known advocate (especially when Bob Barker and PETA is involved in something) to get the pot stirring again and then grab someone like me off the street for the opposition.
When I listened to the opposition, I was surprised at the most persuasive arguments...coming from a vet and from a cat breeder, and one other...but the PetPac guy and his "Timmy and Lassie" thing, to me, just used fluff.
It is still going strong and people in opposition are already talking about how to go about the opposition in December. It will be tough because of the holidays and the proponents already have power and money to put up a good fight.
We'll see just how good the opposition can be. I hope we keep going strong because we have been given this gift of time...we should use it wisely.
We really do have some great advocates...I hope they are selected to represent us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts