Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing alot about the mini labradoodles. What exactly makes them mini. I mean, are their moms labradoodles and the dads are miniature poodles. How does that work? :oops:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
that's just one way that people get a more miniaturized doodle, yeah. Some breeders breed regular-sized Labs to toy poodles, too.

We hope to have medium (18") f1b's and possibly smaller, down to 15" miniatures late this year, if it works out to breed our medium doodle (20") to a miniature poodle. Usually breeders use dogs that are smaller than a more typically standard doodle or poodle, like 24" tall or thereabouts.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahaha...you are right...it isn't generally the old fashioned way...most often the mating is done through artificial insemination.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
how technical would you like us to be?
there's a lot of lab fees, typically, making sure the female is post-ovulation with blood tests daily or every other day, and then there are vet bills (Paid by dam-owner) for the collection from the male... and then the shipping, if applicable. then there's a vet who receives the "shipment" and inserts the semen into the female and voila! hopefully some babies will come 9 wks later! the error rate or success rate is lower, typically, than natural breeding.

class is dismissed! :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all I needed was to know if it was done artificially or the natural way. But thanks for the lesson. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts