Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Maddie, my Labradoodles are medium standards...and the pups are (generally) around 9-11 lbs at 7 weeks.

I have no idea what minis will weigh.

You have probably seen this, but I am posting it anyway, just in case...it is the breed standard (ILA) identifying the various sizes:

Size:
Standard: 21 to 24 (not over 25) inches (or about 53-63 cm) from the wither to ground measurement. The ideal size for the female is 21-23 inches and the male is 22-24 inches. Weight range tends toward 23-30 kg (about 50-65 lbs). Oversize is a major fault.
Medium: 17 to 20 (not over 21) inches (or about 43-52 cm) from the wither to ground measurement. The ideal size for the female is 17-19 inches and the male is 18-20 inches. Weight range tends toward 13-20 kg or (about 30-45 lbs).
Miniature: 14 to 16 (not over 17) inches (or about 35-42 cm) from the wither to ground measurement. There is no correlation between height and sex in the Miniature size. Weight range tends toward 7-12 kg or (about 15-25 lbs). Undersize is a Major fault.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hmmmm maybe I dont remember right then. I cant find where it is written down. :) Now I am curious, I think I will call the vet and have them look in my chart!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahaha...that's what I had to do! I had to find my vet records!
I was a bit surprised...but the records were copies from the vet so I think that they are accurate.
My adult dogs are usually between 40-60 lbs and 19-21 inches. The boys tend to be the largest.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL well I called! Pups were born April 18 and this visit was May 30th and the pups ranged from 4.1 to 6.2 (what a cow!) pounds.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha, welcome to the "Head Spin Club" of Labradoodle fans!

Not much of this makes sense right now...so much is changing...and believe me, I am no expert on any of the breed standard...but by asking the questions you are helping all of us to get a better handle on the concept.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am not an expert either, jac knows WAY WAY more than me, but in the poodle world a dogs size is measured soley by shoulder height. Therefore I consider my dogs standard labradoodles regardless of weight.
My Mackenzie is considered a standard poodle because of her shoulder height. Jac shared the current labradoodle standards and my dogs fall into the "standard category" as you can see currently a mammoth labradoodle isnt considered at all. I cant remember the term that was coined in the poodle community when they started getting to big and didnt fit the standards, I think the breeders started calling them royal - i dont know it never made sense to me :)

Now you have me thinking of my mini red poodle charles I loved him so much. He was a mini all around right height, right build and that little bugger was over weight he weighed 22 pounds and he was suppose to be 14 LOL

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
predicting heights vs. weights

I'm with you guys, on trying to predict weights. I think it is VERY misleading, and therefore a TOTAL waste of time, and I have proof laying at my feet! :wink:

My fit, trim, 20" f1 Doodle weighs 60lbs! She doesn't even look that bulky or Lab-like in her build.

My slim, great-confirmation Poodle is 24" and weighs 45lbs!

In the litter we're looking forward to, the male is 25" and only 50lbs, which is obviously a low weight for an intact male that height. So who can tell what these puppies will weigh? Yet to predict heights that range between the 2 parents is fairly simple, with allowance that one of the bunch might be taller and one might be shorter.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Sure, Maddie!
I am sure that there is a more technical way to predict, if, for example you knew the heights of all 4 grandparents, but basically I would tell you the height of Yankee, and the ht. of the sire and tell you is is reasonable to expect your puppy to be within those ranges, with a 1" margin. But that 5" range is actually as much as I can imagine, so that is really the range I would expect. And, I would tell you that males are almost always at the taller range and females at the shorter.

Having said all of that, in a breeding of 2 dogs who were both 24", we did get a puppy who was STILL noticably smaller than all his siblings at 16wks, so I thought it was reasonable to consider him a throwback to the miniature side of their gene pool. It was my 2nd time breeding those 2 parents so I had NO expectation of a miniature Doodle, but he was only projected to be 20" at the most, according to his 4mos. height.

But that one puppy is a real exception to the rule, not something I would mention every time I predict heights.

does this help?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
no, I don't average the heights for predictions. I give the heights of the parents, allowing that heights in between the parents' heights can happen.

If someone insists that a heavier dog is a concern I point out that poodles are NOT pushy, or bulky in the way that Labs are, or can be. There is no way that Yankee tries to push around Sheba, for example, just because she is heavier.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You know, my girls are siblings and are the same height...but Lexie is so boxy, like a Lab, and Bayley is very lean, like a Poodle...and Lexie weighs nearly 70 lbs! (She is a little on the heavy side, but not fat...truly it is all of her huge chest and square build.) Bayley is between 40-45 lbs.

So, a breeder can look at the pups and watch them grow for those 8-12 weeks and usually can predict what will happen...

In our last litter, the pups were all pretty uniform, but one little female (we called her Little Pink...she is now Harold and Lisa's Gracey) was always petite...not a runt...but smaller boned. Her face was small, and her body was like her mother's (Bayley)...the other females were a nice cross between both parents and they were larger but none have gotten too big...none are as big as Chase.

Still, I always knew that Little Pink (aka Gracey) would be small.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
great example!
So, Jacque, do you use your girls as examples to show that predicting heights is more accurate than weights? I think we can look at the frame of our puppies and learn what a slighter, vs. athletic build is, but who would've guessed your girls would be so diverse in physiques?

Do you try to predict the weight range of your puppies as adults?

I just think the hybrid factor is hard to get right. So I'd rather not go there than be wrong! (or I'm just not good at it) :oops:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, no, I don't try to predict...although I do think that we have consistently gotten pups shorter than (or in the case of some males, the same as) Chase and taller than the mothers.

It is just the little ones, always female, that I know will be small. We had a couple of smaller girls in Lexie's litter too. And I don't judge so much by their weight but by their bone structure and shape.

And, yes, I can more easily predict the height...although I can usually see if the face is going to be boxy and that leads me to consider that the dog will get more square and heavy. (I actually love that!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts