Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a question about breeding miniature labradoodles, i got an offer from a lady who has 3 miniature poodles for sale that are proven, and i never bred miniatures before neither has my uncle, and the question is, can you mate the two dogs naturally or would i have to use Artificial Insemination? The male would be the miniature. Thanks, jennifer

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jen...I have not bred minis so I am not much help. I have heard that it can be done, but it isn't easy...the male has to be on a platform and you need to help him so that he doesn't fall or get hurt in the mating.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jen, also when breeding miniatures, it is my understanding that just because you use a miniature poodle doesn't necessarilly mean that all the puppies in that litter will be miniatures. So many buyers are misinformed and end up with puppies that grow much larger than they were told they would be when mature.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey Jen, you may have just hit the jackpot! I wanted to breed our (std) Yankee to a miniature poodle for her last cycle and it didn't work out. Fedex didn't deliver! Thank God I found a great std. male for f1b's but I am seriously interested in buying a chocolate miniature poodle, or co-owning one for medium-to-miniature doodles. Linda is right, there is a variation in the litter on the first breeding. But I don't have any problem telling potential clients about that.

Specifically about the breeding process, like Jacque said there is a certain amount of risk of natural breeding not working, and there's an issue of the depth of penetration a miniature male can achieve after the whole platform thing is tried. So even if I had my own mini-male I would plan on AI for breeding with my Yankee.

Does this woman with the miniature poodles have a chocolate male? If you don't mind, I'd like to know more, if you wanted to share the info, but only if you are already decided about your own plans. If you want more info you can email me; I'd be glad to tell you what little bit I know about it all, from my last learning experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Maureen,
The lady only has 2 white males and 1 black phantom male for sale, and i'm thinking about the black phantom. Do you have any websites on ai in dogs? We do ai all the time on the cows, but thats all for now. As for not all being minis, i dont mind telling people that they all wont be minis. Jennifer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts