Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Here's my latest crisis with Miss Buffy. She is developing a habit of getting up in the middle of the night to go outside. We have been pulling water and food by 8 or 9 and we go to bed at about 11 (we let her out before wwe go nighty night). She has been getting up at about 3 or 4 whining in her crate to go out. It's fairly annoying to the husband and me, considering she doesn't just run out of her crib, jog downstairs and go out. She's afraid to leave her crate, so you have to drag her our, then she's scared of the steps, so you have to carry her down, let her out, carry her back up, etc.
Anybody have any clues or is this just 6 month old puppy behavior we have to live through? The strange thing is we've had her about 6 weeks, and this is the first of this business.
Thanks.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Betty,

I can imagine how annoying that is. Is her crate in your bedroom? If so, do you trust her that she wouldn't have an accident if she weren't in the crate? We've been letting Dex sleep on the floor (well last night it was in our bed) in our bedroom. He's generally very good and quiet.

Other than that has she been peeing a lot more often during the day? Maybe she could have a urinary tract infection?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Betty,

I don't really know why that has started if she was previously making it through the night. I guess the infection is possible....what about pulling hte water a little earlier...say 7:30 or 8pm. Go potty before bed/crate time and see if she does any better.
For this to happen after already being established in the routine and making it all night...it does seem that maybe something is wrong and the vet should be seen? Maybe she has started drinking much more through out the evening than before?? Is it considerable warmer now where you are?

Hope you get it sorted out soon....that wouldn't be a fun ritual to keep up for long. Isn't she getting heavy?
Jane

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was told by the breeder to take water away about 7 until they can hold it longer. It is usually 8 now but I give Charlie some Ice later - we arent having wetting problems - He seems to be happy with this set up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try taking the water up a little earlier, hope that helps. Hurt my back last carrying her downstairs. That might be the next hurdle...she either learns the steps or she starts sleeping downstairs, she's getting heavier.

I would love to not crate her at night, and a week ago I would have trusted her. Now I'm afraid she'll go potty in our room.

We'll see, maybe it is a urinary tract infection? If it goes on a few more nights, I'll go see the vet. Her daily peeing doesn't seem increased. Who knows?

G

·
Bella did not like the steps so we gated her in the kitchen at night with her bed, no crate. She loves it and prefers to sleep there now even with no gates up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Linda,
Thanks. I think we are going to try something like that. Buster, Buffy's big brother, sleeps downstairs, because he cannot make the steps any longer (he used to sleep with us). We had started Buffy downstairs in her crate, but she would wail, that's how she ended up upstairs with us. Tonight I'm going to try leaving her down here with Buster, gated into the kitchen and family room (where her crate is - we have one up and one down) and just leave her crate open. We'll just keep our fingers crossed that she doesn't pee and poo everywhere (she's been fine in potty training) and that she doesn't eat the house (which I don't think they generally do at night).
Wish us luck.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Betty we used to have Peanut's crate in our bedroom ..not anymore.
we leave it downstairs near max's crate ( Max sleeps 90% of time on our bed)....then we cover it with a blanket. the blanket helped alot

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it was an interesting night. Buster barked at around 4 to go out (absolutely unheard of, so I'm guessing Buffy asked him to). When the husband got down here to let them out, there was already a pee pee puddle. Nothing was destroyed. I guess we'll give it another shot tonight.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Betty HOW OLD is Buffy??? some dogs bladders can take quite a while to mature. Just like kids, some are bedwetter and/or not easy to get out of diapers.

Max's bladder was good when he was ??? let's say he stopped peeing in a crate at 16 weeks?
peanut stopped at 14 weeks. but she has to be walked alot too and does Double pees outside many times.

Sounds LIke maybe Buster said IF buffy's going to wake me in the middle of the night and make me miss my sleep, then I am goign to make sure MOM and DAD too hahhahahhaa :wink:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Annmarie,
I t hink you are entirely correct about Buster waking us up out of spite :?

Buffy is 26 weeks old. She went through the night consistently from like 20 weeks until now.

I think maybe last night was just them getting used to both being free at night together. Maybe after a few nights they'll figure it out and just sleep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts