Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have to get up in the night for an adult dog?

Tegan is 17 months old and still needs to get up in the night anywhere between 2 - 3 a.m. for a bowel movement. A friend said we should ignore her, which we did for a while as long as she'd had an evening bowel movement. She often doesn't have one in the evening though so we feel we should take her outside and sure enough she has to go. This morning she went at 2 a.m., 5 a.m. and then again at 8:30 a.m. She sleeps in a dogpen because crate training didn't work out when she was a puppy. After her middle of the night trip outside (usually 3:00 a.m.) she gets to sleep on our bed. If we don't do this she whines - hmmm, maybe I have answered my own question here.

Anyway, I have wondered if I should change her feeding schedule so that she's only going in the hours we are up. I have always fed her twice a day at 9:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Each feed she gets 1/2 cup of Go Natural kibble (a good quality brand, made in B.C. Canada) mixed with 1 ounce of Evo 95% venison, beef or chicken canned food. In addition she chews 100% digestible rolled pork skin, bully sticks, etc. throughout the day and I give her a small piece of chicken jerky (for dogs) at noon and a Pedigree marrowbone biscuit at 3:00, other than that she doesn't get much else.

If we go out visiting in the evening or have friends over and she is really tired or has a late night, then she sleeps until 5 or 6 a.m.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I would def try changing her feeding schedule - are you up earlier than 9:30 am? if so feed her when you get up then feed her dinner around 4 or 4:30pm and see how she does with that.

Take her for a walk or if you are fenced take her out and play ball about an hour or 1-1/2 hrs after she eats dinner, sometimes exercise helps, she may have a slower digestive track?

We are fenced and Annabelle has a doggie door so it's not an issue if she needs to go out at nite, but it's rare she goes that late.

Good luck

G

·
Maya gets up in the middle of the night to go potty 3-5 times per week. I just take her out and she goes and then goes right back to sleep. I probobly could just tell her to go back to bed but I don't like slepping when I have to potty so I just deal with it. She really does have to go too. She goes outside does her business and is back inside with in a couple minutes. Although sometimes we do have the nights she wants to go outside and run around. There have been nights I was tempted to leave her out there cause she wouldn't come back in.

Maya does have a weird feeding schedule though and it seems to be worse in the winter when we don't play outside after dinner.

Sorry no advise though I know what you are going through.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner occasionally does the same thing. Even if we walk him around the block before bedtime, he still will wake us up for a quick potty break.

He also hops up on the bed when he comes back in...then sleeps through until 5:30 when alarm goes off.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Just a few ideas :)

1) I think she may realize that after she goes potty she gets to be in your bed :) Could you try having her in your bed from the start? Then maybe she'll stay quiet :)

2) Try making the morning meal the larger meal and have the pm meal more like a snack? That way she will have the entire day to get it out of her.

3) Is it possible you are overfeeding? For Kirby, we find if we feed him more than his 1.75 cups 2x a day he has had issues overnight.

4) Increase her pm exercise. Play some indoor fetch, take her for a really long walk.

5) Cut back on some of the treats. Maybe something you are feeding her isn't agreeing with her. Could you stick to just her food for awhile?

We have had to take Kirby out to poop maybe 3x in the past 4-5 months...what you're going through sounds like a lot to me! Have you asked the vet if there could be a problem? I feel for you - I would be totally miserable getting up every night (and then 5 am again!).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do you bring your baby out on a schedule?
Sam goes out at the same time every night. We say "Okay, we go pee-pee and then we'll go nuh-night."
We say the same thing and do the same routine every night.
He usually sits by the door right at the right time and will even go up to bed if we stay up past his usual bed time!

Sam used to have issues at night when we adopted him, but the schedule really helped him.
He knows now to hold it till morning (with the rare exception!)...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your great replies. We have tried walking her before bed, she pees but not poops as she isn't ready at that time. She gets 3 walks per day, each one about 30 minutes long, she's on a pretty set schedule too with walks and bedtime being pretty much the same time every day. When there's no snow on the ground (we live in Calgary, Canada - the Province of the 7 month long winter) I take her ball along so she runs around a lot chasing that, also she loves chasing our arm shadows. She plays chase in the house with one of the cats and wrestles with the other one, so lots of exercise. (We have put our name down for a puppy, which will be ready in July, so she will tire herself out a lot more then).

I have thought about having her on the bed all night because she sleeps so nicely there, with the exception of occasionally crowding me to the point that I'm clinging onto the edge of the mattress. Other times she wakes me with kisses when she stirs and realizes she's on the bed with us. With having the 2 cats, one of them sleeps on the bed all night so it could get quite crowded if the 2nd cat decided to join us. Also I wonder how we would know when she needs to go if she's on the bed. In her pen she scratches and walks around so my husband is usually the one who gets up and takes her out to the corner down the street, so he has to get dressed, put her on leash and walk her half a block. We don't use the back yard because whenever the door opens the cats try to go out and we have coyotes in the fields behind the house so the cats have to be supervised in the back yard or they will climb over the fence to go walkabouts. If I take Tegan in the night, I only go to our front lawn because I'm too nervous near the field in the middle of the night, in addition to the coyotes, you never know who might be lurking there. Presently our house is for sale so we don't want to use the lawn and increase the brown spots - oh what a tale of woe :)

I do like the idea of making her morning meal the larger meal and cutting down on her evening meal. I used to feed her earlier in the morning but she wasn't ready to eat until later and often sniffed it and walked away, so 9:30 a.m. seems to be a good time for her. I don't think I'm overfeeding her, I go by what it says on the kibbles bag for Tegan's weight and the bits and pieces she has in the day are hardly anything. It's not diarreah she has, the stools are firm she just seems to need to go quite frequently between 3 a.m. - noon. We have asked the vet and he's tested and there is nothing wrong with her. He thinks she just has a sensitive stomach. I have really experimented a lot with her foods and treats over the year and a half and only ever give her 100% natural of anything now otherwise things are much worse.

I appreciate all your suggestions and if you think of anything else, please let me know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you considered putting a doggy-loo in her pen at night in case she needs to go?

With Jofi I use the Ugodog: http://www.ugodog.net/

I got it for her to help with house-breaking as a young puppy. She's now house-broken but I leave it in the kitchen at night in case she does need to go (likewise, if I go out for a couple of hours, it's there if she needs it). I never have to wake and take her out at night - she very occasionally uses the dog-loo in the night and then I clean it when I wake up in the morning.

I understand the problem with feeding - Jofi eats when she's ready to - she doesn't always go and eat all her food immediately. I give her a feed at around 7pm - but there'll often be some left an hour later (of course one way round this is to take the bowl away 20 minutes after putting it down - if it's not finished then the dog goes without - then the next meal they will eat quicker). I take Jofi out last thing at night before I go to bed - normally around midnight - she's usually been sleeping before this point.

I hope you find a way around this problem with Tegan. Good luck with the puppy in the summer.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke usually eats twice a day, with her last meal being around 8 -9. I'm usually up @ 6 AM, and she goes outside with me and poops. I've noticed that if I feed her earlier than that, she sometimes has to go in the middle of the night, and she also has that "dry heaves" problem we discussed on an earlier thread. If she eats later, she sleeps like a log all night.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks to all of you for your great ideas and advice. All your doodles are really cute too.

I have decided to move Tegan's dinner time up to 9:00 pm and have started working ahead in half hour increments from 7:00. We are at an 8:30 dinner time tonight but so far it hasn't made any difference. Tegan is still getting up at 3:00 and again I have told my husband to ignore her until 5:15 when he gets up for work, but she sleeps in our room and he stays he can't ignore her so he gets up and takes her out then he can't get back to sleep. For the last 2 nights she had a poop at 5:00 p.m. when we walked her, then we took her for a short walk again before bed around 9:45 p.m. and she peed. I told him both nights she should be good now until he gets up at 5:15 but sure enough she woke at 3:00. I am thinking she must do do it for attention because she knows when he brings her back he puts her on the bed.

Maybe, as someone suggested, we should try leaving her on the bed all night this weekend and see how it works out but as I mentioned in my post from a couple of days ago I am worried we wouldn't know when she truly needs to go outside.

Libby, I looked up the ugodog and it's very much like the Wizdog that I heard about when Tegan was a puppy. We can't buy them in pet stores in Canada (or couldn't a year ago) and they cost almost as much to ship here as they do to purchase one. Tegan is really good in the day time and it helps a lot that I am at home and can take her out for a walk every 5 hours, but it's just the 3:00 a.m. wake up that is a pain.

I will keep trying different things and see how it goes, starting with the later dinner time and sleeing on the bed all night. It does sounds to me as though it could be a doodle trait that they can't always manage to hold their bladder or bowels throughout the entire night. When I worked, a co-worker who had a labradoodle told me some of them can have stomach sensitivities which they inherit from the Poodle side. Throughout the 1.5 years we've had Tegan it has been all trial and error with her diet. At least I seem to have found a good kibble and canned food that agree with her and the diarreah and vomiting are almost non existent now.

And to think I'm going to put us through all this again with a 2nd doodle puppy in July - yikes!!!!

Thanks again,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update - on Friday night / Saturday morning, Tegan slept all the way through until 5:40 a.m. so hopefully the later feeding schedule is going to work (unless it was a one off, time will tell).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two nights in a row with no middle of the night wake up. 4:40 a.m. on Sunday morning, so we are heading in the right direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts