Labradoodle Forums banner

Middle of the Night Potty training and 2 doodles

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Jac 
#1 ·
I have a question about gettting up in the middle of the night to take Toby out. He is 12 weeks old and does get up at night to go out, should we be taking Lani out also? She is 6 months old and was basically past needing to get up. We have been taking her out with Toby for the last week, are we giving her the wrong idea about going out at night? Thanks.

#2 ·
I would have to say yes you are, but that's my opinion she shouldn't need to go out and if she isn't asking I wouldn't take her. My adults every now and then might ask to go out and it is usually because they got a hold of something they shouldn't have and they really need to go. But otherwise you starting a pattern you will soon regret I'm afraid.

#3 ·
Gracielou, thank you for the your opinion. I was beginning to wonder if we should be taking her out. Their crates are next to each other so I thought I should. My concern was her barking and waking everyone in the up :cry: It has been a pain to take them both out anyway, sometimes they think it is play time, WRONG! He is 12 weeks old and we have had him for 10 days, his first 2 nights he slept for about 7 hours and did not get up. I'm wondering if he is old enough to to do this consistantly, is he barking because he needs to go out or he woke up and wants see mom and dad? Thanks again any more input would be greatly appreciated.

Lani looks like your 2 girls that you rescued and re-homed, they are beautiful! You were so fortunate the shelter called!

#4 ·
She does look just like them doesn't she. You might have to put her crate in the other room for a while so she doesn't wake up when the puppy does you for sure don't want them playing at 2:00 in the morning. Usually a 12 week old still can't hold it all night but sometimes can make it until around 4:00 or so. Make sure you take the water up about 7:00 or 8:00 this will help and feed about 5:30 or 6:00. Hope this all helps. :wink:

#6 ·
Wow, Lani is really beautiful!

I understand what Linda has said and her advice is very good...as always...and she is very experienced.

I personally let all of my dogs out that want to go...we have not had a problem of them wanting to play. If they thought it was play time, I would stop it immediately...but I find no difficulty with the potty situation.

#7 ·
Thanks Jac, here is another dilema. Toby has this quirky habit of immediately laying down when I take him out. Sometimes he will pee right away and other times it takes quite a bit of coaxing and may not even go. If he is doing this in the middle of the night should I just take him back in or wait and see if he eventually goes? He is so different from Lani!

Any suggestions on chewing? He can be walking by something and will just begin chewing it? He has started on an antique buffett. It was suggested to use a muzzled time out for a couple of minutes, I don't know! Our chocolate lab, K.C., and Lani never chewed like this, any suggestions? I appreciate having such a wonderful resource with so many great people to chat with! Thank you! :D

#8 ·
Boy, I am no expert on this stuff, even though I have personally had dogs do exactly the things you speak of.

About lying down...Rosie did that (my GD) and it was tough...then she'd go inside and piddle on a rug! Maybe spray some of that "potty scent" outside for her...but I'd put her on a leash and every time she lies down, talk to her and say "potty" and pull her to a stand. If she continues, I'd put her back in the crate and try again later. She will eventually get the idea. It took Rosie about a month to figure it out.

The chewing...ugh! We had so much furniture destroyed! We tried bitter apple, we tried hot sauce, we fenced everything off with x-pens...but the best advice we had was to keep her crated unless we could watch her EVERY SECOND! Yeah, right. That is not really practical, but it is good advice. If possible, try tethering her to you.

Good luck! (She WILL outgrow it! Ours did!)

#9 ·
Jac, I will definately do the leash for the midnight pee runs. I never thought about using one since Lani would automatically go. Toby is going to be a challenge! :lol: He escaped our yard 3 times this afternoon. Luckily my son had just come up the drive as he escaped the first time and caught him, I had just noticed he was on the wrong side of the fence! He did again with in a minute as we watched trying to figure out how he did it! We've blocked his escape route (for now). He will keep me on my toes, chewing, escaping, ect.!

#11 ·
Luckily Lani is too big to fit through the escape hatch!!! :lol: I read a post you made earlier about using canning lid rings as dog toys, let me tell you Lani and Toby are loving them! Something he can't chew up! They are chasing each other around right now trying to steal the ring! Toby was playing soccer with it before Lani decided it would be fun. :D Thanks for the great idea!

#14 ·
Jac, This photo is for you :lol: they are loving the canning rings. I did get the wide mouth rings out, they had a hard time playing "grab it" with the regular ones. The leash at night, and during the day when I need him to go immediately (if not sooner), has worked wonders! :D Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.