Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ... it's been awhile. I've just returned from almost 7 weeks away in England and Spain and boy does Mia have a tale to tell about her experience.

Because I was going to be gone for so long I decided to hire a dog/housesitter so Mia could stay where she was comfortable and happy. I canvassed friends and family for interest in the postition and asked them to let their own friends and family know. After talking to a few different people I settled on a woman who had 20 years experience dog sitting and came with glowing references.

Within a few days of arriving in England I started getting e-mail updates about how things were going and everything seemed to be going alright but there were worrying references to how in her "20 years of experience she had never come across a dog as anxious as Mia". This didn't make sense to me because, although she's a puppy and very boistrous, Mia is not what I would call anxious.

Two weeks into my 7-week vacation I got a cryptic e-mail saying her circumstances had changed and that looking after Mia was becoming more and more difficult. When I asked for clarification she said that as of the coming weekend she was no longer available to do the remaining four weeks.

Imagine my distress as I tried to figure out what to do from half way around the world. I started searching the web for a possible kennel situation for her but with the 8-hour time difference it was all a little challenging. In the meantime I also got a report from my daughter that Mia had essentially regressed and forgotten all of her training in the two weeks the dog sitter had been at the house. She was no longer house trained, she barked all night, she chewed anything that wasn't nailed down. In short she had become completely neurotic. I found out later that she had been left alone for long periods of time with free range of the house, even though our agreement was that she should never be left alone for more than about three hours and even then she should be put in her X-pen for her protection and the protection of my house. I also found out that the dog sitter had been leaving her own 13-year old sheltie alone at the house and that she had a caged parrot in our bedroom. No wonder Mia was anxious!!

In a panic I asked my good friend to carry out a dog rescue to remove Mia from my house and figure out the best course of action ... kenneling or some other solution for the remaining four weeks. I even told my son I would cut my trip short and come home if that's what was required.

My friend, who has a lovely seven-year-old Bedlington Terrier who Mia adores, decided that Mia had been so traumatized by her two-week experience with the dog sitter that she shouldn't be kenneled and said she would keep her (in defiance of her condominium bylaws) until I returned. Connie undertook to reestablish a routine for Mia and got some calming treatments for her from the vet. It has been a rough four weeks but in the end I arrived home yesterday to a lovely, sweet dog who was so happy to see me that she just sat on my lap giving me kisses for the first hour we were together.

There's still work to do to get her training back to where it should be and I have a little carpet cleaning to do in my house.

Here's a picture of Mia and her friend Dominque on one of their outings in July.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What a horrible experience. I can just imagine the anxiety that you went through. We had bad experiences with our "dog sitters" as well but nothing anywhere near as unfortunate as yours.

Wasn't it nice though how you friend came through for you. I am sure you and Mia will be back on track very soon.

PS...Mia is adorable :wink:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Poor Mia! I bet she thought you had abandoned her, that's why she was so upset. I know when we go to another person's house, Cinnamon is always ready to go home, back to a routine. They are creatures of habit!

I hope you had fun on your trip, even though I know you were worried about Mia and her situation. I know when I'm gone from Cinnamon she's always on my mind. I know she'll get back on track with her training now that she's got you back.

She's adorable!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Truly a friend in need and a friend indeed! Hopefully, little Mia will get back on track quickly and you wonderful memories of your trip despite the worry!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
would be nice if you could publicly share the horrible "dog sitter" name and experience so others do not use her.

glad Mia is coming around :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
OMG poor Mia and you - I cant imagine how heartbreaking to be that far away and have your baby stressed like that.

I'm glad you had a friend who stepped in to rescue Mia for you !

Both Mia and her friend Dominque are beautiful

I'd be letting all the local Vets know about this lady, as sometimes they keep names of sitters for their clientele - wouldnt want any other babies to have to deal with her - how awful

·
Registered
523 Posts
Poor Mia and poor you! I am so sorry that happened! I can't imagine the distress both of you experienced.

How old was Mia when you left for vacation?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mia was 11 months old ... a little young I know, but she was in great shape when we left and I had taken the time to have the dog sitter come and see her on a number of occasions. We went for walks together and the two of them really seemed to click.

What I didn't know before I was thousands of miles away that the dogsitter had a very different view of her responsibilities than I did ... and although I knew she had a dog of her own she assured me that it would be staying with her mother ... and I definitely didn't know about the parrot!

It has made me very wary of having anyone I don't know really well left in charge of Mia or my house again.

K

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh Kathryn, that's awful.
I'm sure your worry took a lot of the fun out of your vacation.

I'm glad your friend stepped in to help out.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Wow Kathryn
That is terrible!!!!
You should have just left her with
Denver, the nine cats and me and she probably would
have faired better.
Bahahhahahahaaa!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was in England for a month, walking across the country with my husband. 135 miles in 15 days. It was our way of marking our 25 anniversary. After that we went our separate ways for three weeks. Him to visit friends in Israel, me to study Spanish is Granada, Spain. Back home now and dealing with the mess left behind by the "dog/housesitter" and the fact that my gardent has turned into a jungle in my absence.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kathryn ...ohhhh that had to have been so hard on you but luckily your friend came to the rescue!! and I am sure given a bit of time MIA will fall back into place.

I myself don't trust anyone but Dave,(fiance), my 15yr old teenager and one friend to watch Max and peanut.

Give MIA a big hug and kiss from peanut and max....welcome home kathryn! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
That is a tough situation you and Mia were in. What a great friend you have to come to Mia's rescue like that!

I worry so much about my boys when I travel and I usually kennel them at the vet. They seem to have a great time and everyone loves them there. They always seem so wild when I pick them up, as if they've forgotten their manners and training! But it usually comes back after a few hours of being back in their routines.

I think our next vacation is going to "go to the dogs" because I miss them terribly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts