Labradoodle Forums banner

Megaesophagus

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  MaxandMe 
#1 ·
Wondering if any of you breeders have ever had a puppy diagnosed with
Megaesophagus? If so, is there anything you can share about it? Will the puppy outgrow this, or is it a permanent disease?

#3 ·
She has not been diagnosed with this yet. I had her at the vet today, and they really couldn't say what is wrong with her. So, I am keeping her separate from the other puppies. And feeding her separately. I need to see exactly how much she is eating and how much of it that she is keeping down. Even when she hasn't eaten, she continues to kind of like have the dry heaves. She is always acting like she is going to vomit. It's really weird and I've never experience this before. But, when I read about Megasophagus, it almost sounds like she might have that. She goes back to the vet on Monday, and I'm going to ask about this specific disease. So, I was wondering if anyone else might have experience with this.

I will definitely keep you posted!

#6 ·
Trina i never heard of this till now.......please let us know what the vet says. And i hope the puppy is okay

#9 ·
I think my aunt's dog was diagnosed with that. I'm not sure what's going on now, she's well over a year old. But for a while she had to eat standing up on just her back legs because it made her body stretch, and straighted the estophogus. Good luck! I can ask her more about it, if you like. But they're enjoying her, and don't really complain about it anymore.

#12 ·
Yes i have had 2 pups in my lifetime with megaesophagus
One is 5yrs old, Labradoodle, her owners have to feed her sitting in a special chair but she is doing well and now rarely throws up
This is after a couple of surgerys, this is not somthing they will outgrow,,and it takes a really special person to commit to a pup/dog with this problem

Depending on the severity it can be corrected
your vet can do a special test to see if that is what it is, if he is not equiped to do so i would go to another vet, Vet schools have the resources to diagnose and to treat,
another problem with this is that they can vomit and aspirate it causeing aspiration pnemonia which can be lifethreating

#15 ·
Okay, for now, the vet does not think this is what she has. He did xrays and the only thing that it showed was some irritation in her throat and a little bit in her belly. They put her on an antibiotic, nausea meds, and also canned prescription food. So, I'm going to do this with her for about a week and see how she does. So far she seems to be doing really good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you for everyone's concern and replies...

#17 ·
Trina......thanks for the update, keeping my fingers crossed all goes well this week with the little puppy :D
how's she eating now?

#18 ·
MEGAN thank you so much for sharing such a loving heartwarming story and your mom sounds like she was an angel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.