Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sampson is very very shy around other dogs...

He did okay meeting the neighbors dog, but didn't really want to play or anything when he was invited inside and out back to their fenced in yard. After exploring the yard with Oliver the neighbors yellow lab watching him suspiciously and having a small marking contest with Oliver, he came and hid behind me.

When he met a much larger doggie he just stood very very still and let the doggie sniff him. He only reacted when the husky started to put his paws on top of his back and then he barked and hid.

A few days ago he met a smaller dog (Bischon Frise) at a friends house who wouldn't stop smelling him down below. He just seemed annoyed and ran in circles with the little guy chasing him.

He only takes a small sniff of dogs he meets and never seems to like to interact with them after that. Usually he ends up hiding behind me like a shy toddler because the other dogs get all excited and he is just... not excited.
I might be overreacting, but shouldn't he be a little more social?
Should we try to introduce him to more dogs or just let him be?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Will you be taking Sampson to obedience classes? It sounds to me from this post and your other one that some of his issues could be addressed in a good obedience class. Maybe he needs to be exposed to other dogs but in a very safe and controlled environment where a trainer could observe what is going on.

Sometimes it take a bit of trial and error with rescues...hang in there you're doing great and asking for help is the first step.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will you be taking Sampson to obedience classes? It sounds to me from this post and your other one that some of his issues could be addressed in a good obedience class. Maybe he needs to be exposed to other dogs but in a very safe and controlled environment where a trainer could observe what is going on.

Sometimes it take a bit of trial and error with rescues...hang in there you're doing great and asking for help is the first step.
We are looking into some obedience classes for our Sammy-Doodle. The lady at the local pet store where we buy our food is a trainer and has classes just one town over. My Mom also works at a vocational school that offers night/weekend classes and they have a training class as well.

We really like the pet store lady, she has given us very good advice before and Sam seems to like her. She also is a huge fan of rescues and offers $10 off her classes for recently adopted dogs as well as deals with correction for specific behaviors.

As a frame of reference, how much should we expect to spend on a good course for Sam?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
In our city you would expect to pay from $69 to $79 dollars for a basic obedience class.

I would check out the trainers carefully though as you can get a lot for your $$ or very little based on the trainers ability to control the class. They should let you watch one of their training classes before you sign up.

Good luck... :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Our Rosie is a bit shy around dogs and people, too. I don't want it to turn into a fear agression issue so as soon as she has recovered from her spay we are going to start with a professional trainer.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
annieG said:
In our city you would expect to pay from $69 to $79 dollars for a basic obedience class.

I would check out the trainers carefully though as you can get a lot for your $$ or very little based on the trainers ability to control the class. They should let you watch one of their training classes before you sign up.

Good luck... :wink:
Wow... $120 near us for classes

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sammy...here we pay $115 for 8 week OB classes but if you want can always do refresher classes for free afterwards

·
Registered
398 Posts
My Lulu had very little socialization with people or dogs.
She exhibited the very same behavior your describing. What helped her around other dogs was I found another dog/person to walk her with.
The other dog was a very laid back yellow lab and after the first few minutes they walked along fine together. After a few walks with the Lab (both were on leashes) we let them loose to play in a fenced area and they got along wonderfully. That time spent there seemed to make Lulu less cautious around other dogs that we would meet.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Maybe cost of living is less in Utah. The cheapest trainer is at the Humane Society...she is actually the best as well. Do you have a Humane Society near you? When you adopted Sammy did that place offer any classes?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Callie's problem is slightly different. She adores other dogs, and will readily engage them in play at every possible opportunity.

However, she is shy with people she doesn't know well, and will hide behind me - especially when the stranger is a man.

We are starting obedience classes in two weeks, so I hope this will help. Has anyone else had the same experience - fine with dogs but shy with people?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts