Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked a labradoodle for many reasons. Mainly because it seemed like a great family dog and so far that seems to be true. The other reason is that I really wanted an intelligent dog with a chance of becoming an aid to me and my diabetic child. If he never learns to alert me to a diabetic low than fine, we still have a great family dog.

If a diabetics blood glucose gets too low (normal between 80-120, low would be under 70) than he can convulse, pass out, and even die. This is a particular problem at night and when they are outside playing.

My son has had about 10 lows under 50 requiring immediate attention. I have not slept through the night in 3 years.I check his BG at least 1 time in the middle of the night.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has trained a dog in this way (or similar) on thier own? I know you can get them trained already but they cost like 5000.00 and that is not an option for us. I found an article with basic info about this type of training but would love to here the experiences, good or bad, of anyone else who has attempted this. And it would be nice to have someone to ask questions as needed.

Thanks so much!!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It can be done. Please do a Google Search for Service Dogs. There are several guiding forces in that field. Check Out Wanted Animal Volunteers by Mary Burch. ADI and TDI are two organizations to check out as well. Abby is our Service/therapy dog in training. It takes dedication,time and patience. It is hard work however worth it. Good luck!...mtd

·
Registered
260 Posts
hi there, my long-term boyfriend is a type 1 diabetic too so i know exactly what you mean about not sleeping well through the night and worrying (although, obviously, he's an adult and totally responsible for his own care, but i still worry!).

in any case, i don't have any concrete advice, but i thought this might be interesting -- i regularly read a blog of a woman with type 1 diabetes who has a service dog named dixie (http://damdiabetes.blogspot.com/). i'm not sure how she trained the dog, but if you read through her archives you may find some interesting information.

best of luck & i'm curious to how this works!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI somanybakers!!! i'd so google and msn searches. Also i wonder if you did a formal obedience class where your son is the handler that it could further bonding and put your child in a more Alpha position?

these dogs are pretty intuitive as they mature and many times don't leave your side if you are sick and/or injured

I wish you luck and keep us updated on what you find out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MaxandMe said:
Also i wonder if you did a formal obedience class where your son is the handler that it could further bonding and put your child in a more Alpha position?
I am planning to do obedience classes but never thought to have Lucas be the handler! Thanks for the IDEA.

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas! Nancy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts