Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belong to a huge soaper's forum, about 4,000 members. There are some veteranarians there, and folks often post pics of their pets with questions. So I posted Dex's pic and asked if I was overfeeding him. He's gotten a bit chunky and I think his ration may be a bit large, or the Iams is high in fat.

Anyway, everyone was giving good informative answers and going on about how cute he was, and one lady spouts off about how her purebred Great Danes eat "x" amount of food a day, but when you have a crossbred mutt like mine, you never know which end of the breeding you'll get and he shouldn't be allowed to be over 60#. Sheesshh! Why are purebreed snobs so mean to doodles?

From now on I'm asking my questions to doodle lovers.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Unfortunately there are some lousy forums out there
with people who are snobs..................
This forum is great and we love you and your Doodle
and the majority here will always take the time to answer you
with respect, honesty and good advice with lots of laughter and hijacking of posts thrown in for good fun!!!!!!!!!!
So stick with us.........................

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Rita....some people are ignorant. I had a woman that breeds high affluent std poodles that told me Max should have never been allowed to live, he shoud have been culled. hahhahaaaaaaaaaa
yes i laughed! cause she is too busy and shallow to realize how much LOVE Doodles give. And i was glad someone like her DOESN"T have a doodle.

Rita...you can ask your vet OR do a internet search ok? they show pics of 5 stages of healthy to skinny to obese dogs and what it looks like.

Can you feel the ribs on Dexter? also max was on 6 cups a day as a pup then 4 a day then 3 now he's back up to 4 again.
he's 83lbs , 26 in tall ....and healthy as can be.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has a good sized fat pad over his ribs. He does have a slight curve of a waist. But when he sits, his chest has a big fat pad. I think he's going on a diet with princess Peanut, and he's going to hang out here with friends, not over there with snobs :p

I did try to ask his vet when he got his allergy shot, but the vet was so busy he brought the syringe into the waiting room instead of taking him into an exam room, and he was short on info that day.

The problem was that I thought his bowl held 2 cups, so I wasn't measuring. And if he acted hungry, I gave him 3 bowls a day. Turns out his bowl holds 3 cups, so some days he was getting 9 cups!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa OMG i almost spit out my hot chocolate on my screen hahahaaaaaaaaaa 9 cups :shock: hahahaaaaaaaa

that is funny!! remember even DENVER only had 6 cups a day hahhaa
OMG Rita hahhaaaaaaaaaa

at least your honest enough to admit it,
WE NOW meausure all 3 doodles meals dailly, sometime i make them up and wrap them in plastic ahead of time so NO one is tempted to feed peanut more :wink:

Dexter is as polite as peanut and didn't want to hurt our feelings :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I reread it, I got the giggles! :lol: Yep, 9 cups a day, for the last several months. Kevin came home from the towboats and said "baby boy's gettin fat, how much are you feeding him?" "oh, only 2 bowls a day, sometimes 3, but his bowl holds 2 cups right?" LMAO!

Little does he know that while he was gone, I felt so bad for baby boy that I sometimes snuck him oatmeal cookies (I can't eat them all by myself!!)

It's diet time for baby boy!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
OMG 9 cups a day LOL no wonder he is a tad porky :wink: Annabelle gets about 4 -1/2 cups a day in her bowl some days she doesnt eat it all other days she finishes it up, so far we dont have a weight prob with her but will keep checking as I knwo they can pork out so easily

You just come here with Dexter for all the love you need and leave that nasty poodle lady over there :evil:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Aw Dex...cover your ears with your paws and don't listen to ignoramus's
like that poodle lady....listen to Auntie Annmarie, and she'll have you trim and slim in no time...and ya know what??? My Mom thinks you're a cutie pie!!! :wink:

Your pal,
Raleigh!

p.s......Maybe I should go over to that lady's house and check out her couches!!! :shock: Whatchya think???? :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The love of a one type of dog over another is strictly personal choice. All breeds and mixes bring love and joy into our hearts with their nonjudgmental personalities......too bad humans in their different mixtures can't be the same way! :wink:

Dexter......would you send your mommy to feed us?? We believe that our dad's measuring system to feed us is wrong! Hers sounds much more filling!! Can you help out??
Jonah and Miko

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...9 cups :shock:

Send Dexter over to our house for a bit - we have had a lot of doodle weight loss since Kirby arrived :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Their loss! They will never know the sweetness and unconditional love of a DOODLE!!!!

I have to admit I cracked up at the 9 cups a day!!! Live & learn!!!

PS....chunky or not he is absolutely darling!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raleigh, I'll try to figure out where she lives. But we'd better go in a group, she has great danes that might eat us (especially me, since I don't need much marinade :shock: )

Jonah and Miko, I'm thinking of a business opportunity, catered doodle meals. All daddy has to do is open the pre-measured (ahem!) packages at meal time and everyone's happy. Maybe I could do free shipping as a promotion? I'll sneak some oatmeal cookies in yours, Miko ;) Oh, and your daddy is a smart man, so listen to him and be good to him, okay?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Rita can you mail me some of those oatmeal cookies? to heck with the doodles , i want them hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Wowie 9 cups per day
I thought my mommy was good to me
but I ain't getting no 9 cups..........
I think I will try to renegotiate that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woof woof

Denver

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think you can safely say Dexter is eating too much. I'm impressed that he can put that much away! Besides the Peanut diet plan, you need the Charlie exercise plan. If Charlie came and played with Dex 8 hours a day, he'd slim down in no time. Charlie would make an excellent personal trainer. :lol:

You are always going to run into pure bred snobs. Even amongst pure bred owners, there are breed snobs. You know some breeds are smarter, more affectionate, more loyal, healthier than others, right? :roll: Don't let them bother you. One or two out of of forum of 4000 is insignificant.

Deb

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I got "SNOBBED" by a purbred breeder at the Veterans Home when I took Tyke to see my dad there! She raises German Shorthaired Pointers, and whe she looked at Tyke, she said "I don't know why anyone would PAY for a mixed breed." When I told her that I wanted an athletic dog who would enjoy running with me and water, she said "why don't you get a GSP?" I told her that I thought about it, but decided I wanted a dog who was SMART TOO! :twisted: (that was mean, but it shut her up!)

DOODLES RULE!!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh man that kind of ignorance just makes me sad. How anyone can be that narrow minded is beyond me. It's almost to be pitied if it wasn't so irritating.

Thank God it's their loss... and doesn't have to affect us or how we live.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dextersmommy said:
and one lady spouts off about how her purebred Great Danes eat "x" amount of food a day, but when you have a crossbred mutt like mine, you never know which end of the breeding you'll get and he shouldn't be allowed to be over 60#.
I woulda just replied that you figured out which end of the breeding SHE got!!

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA. <<wiping tears>> HAH.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts