Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
There was a Great Dane at the dog park today and Maya was so scared of it. She would run between my legs with her tail tucked. She is such a baby. I didn't cuddle her though....I walked over to the Great dane and petted him and she followed me over but kept her distance....Silly doodle.

Sadie tried to attack him!!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
We had a Great Dane Off Leash trained dog at our obedience class. He was there to "show off" how good they can be after you spend $3900.. :roll:
Now Bogart is the REAL silly doodle......he'll approach anything! Maya shows more brains! hahahaha!
I think what you did was good....ignore and go pet!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I laugh when we meet great danes at the dog park because they are almost always getting picked on! It's hilarious...they are double the size of any other dog, but the smaller ones always seem to torment them and they seem afraid :) The ones I have met have been such gentle dogs!!

That would be a funny photos of little Sadie trying to attack him...hahaha

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I love Great Danes...........and we have only met Gentle Giants
so far and funny when the little doggies bark at them............
The first little minpin we met barked at Denver and I looked at minpin
and then I looked at Denver and I said to minpin "You are kidding right?"
The owners thought that comment hilarious and could not stop laughing.....
bahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Heather..........I forgot to say that I'm using a 30' lead on Bogart for doing his biz. :wink:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Lucee start Puppy OB with a great dane puppy and just loves him. They have grown up together and now in proper Dog OB classes. He is the most calm, easy going, gentle giant. She is frightened of the small flighty little barky dogs. Austin the Great Dane is her pal :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
That's the weird thing. Maya was in intermediate training class with a Dane named Luna and we couldn't keep those two apart. I am not sure what her deal was.

Linda....Maya is on a 30 ft lead. She just hates being on a lead and going potty. In all the walks I have taken her on she only has gone potty one time!!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My kids were both scared of little dogs but never of the really big ones. There are two Wolf hounds that go to our local dog park and their faces are eye level with my girls. They are the calmest dogs I have ever seen. And the Newfoundlands we have met there are also so calm.

I guess when you are the biggest things around, you instinctively know that you have nothing to fear.

And on a completely different note, but speaking of big dogs, we saw a German Shepard jump the dog park fence last week. The owner threw the frisbee over the fence. He told the dog "Go get it!" and the dog jumped up with both front paws at the top, then lunged over the fence. He got the frisbee and waited on the other side until the owner said "Come on!" and he jumped back. AMAZING!! It is at least a 6 foot fence as my hubby is 5'9" and it is taller than he is.

All the other dog owners were amazed and laughing and one said, "Oh my gosh! I hope my dog did not see him do that!" :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
heather what would happen if you bring a treat in hand and have her off leash in front for potty walk? just curious

I love GREAT DANES but i don't know how max or peanut would react, they'd probably just play with one hahhaaaaaaaaa

Heather we don't always know the temperament of another dog like Maya does immediately.....who knows.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be tearing down the street after her. She does not stay with me or come when called when she is free. This lil smarty pants knows when she is on lead or in a fenced area and when she isn't. On lead or fenced area recall about 80%......off lead 0% (and no I don't let her off lead, she snuck out the other day and I had to go after her cause she took off).

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We love danes too! there was one that was a regular at the dog park before we moved, Hershey and her were great players. they are tops on our list when we get more space. In mix-breed fashion, my wife likes the puppies from a merle and harlequin breeding, called merlequin (not a recognized coat pattern). there is a local breeder of these and they are beautifull.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hmz819 said:
I'd be tearing down the street after her. She does not stay with me or come when called when she is free. This lil smarty pants knows when she is on lead or in a fenced area and when she isn't. On lead or fenced area recall about 80%......off lead 0% (and no I don't let her off lead, she snuck out the other day and I had to go after her cause she took off).
I know it isn't funny but the way you put it, I just had a good giggle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts