Labradoodle Forums banner

Matting?

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Bullie Dood 
#1 ·
I have read in some post that many doodle owners have been using a de-matting spary/solution to help comb out mats. I have yet to cut Puffys puppy coat a grooming appt. is probably going to have to come soon. My question is how do these matts develope and what is the best thing to use to help comb them out?

#2 ·
Hi, welcome...
I am not really sure how the mats develop, except that sometimes there is an undercoat that contributes...but it is my opinion that as the dog blows his puppy coat, if the coat is thick enough, the hair never falls out and gets all tangled up with the growing hair...that's "matting according to Jacque" :?
But I will say that when the matting is extreme (and it sneaks up on you...it's not anyone's fault, it just happens) then it is best to clip it off. You can do it yourself (I do ours very carefully, with sissors) or hire a groomer. If you are not inclined to be very patient, I'd say hire a groomer.
It takes FOREVER to get every mat out AND the worst part is that you can so easily nip the skin with sissors. You don't think you are getting close, but loose skin can pull up and you can cut it...so please be very careful.
Matting is very uncomfortable for the dog, sort of like when people are wearing tight braids (I know, you men out there have no idea what I mean) and it really pulls...and gets worse with water and time.
So, if you have mild matting or no matting, I'd suggest complete brushing every other day, or at least once a week. Use a dematting brush if you can find one. (Les Pooches, mat zapper, etc.)
But if your dog won't hold still for brushing near feet, ears, belly...it is so much easier to go to a groomer regularly.
I have to do my own grooming because I have too many dogs, but if I only had one...you bet it would be a groomer doing this!

#3 ·
Wonder whether small sheep shears would work? I'm only partially teasing. We used to shear our own flock before we decided that it made a whole lot more sense to hire someone. We also have an electric shearer, which would probably work even better. That REALLY takes it all off, though.

Coming from Irish Setters and a series of Great Danes this is going to be a fascinating new experience! I am reading these threads with great interest.

Leslie

#4 ·
Okay, Leslie, I tried various dog clippers...they would go an inch into Chase's coat and stall...no way, and these were EXPENSIVE...so I found some powerful HORSE clippers and the guy at the store said, yes, they would work on sheep! So I bought them! I bought the table too, now I just need to clean out the garage and set up my grooming parlor!

#8 ·
Linda, I take it you mean the electric version? The manual shears are kind of large for a puppy flank! I'll have to see whether we still have them. Since we still have the milk bucket we used for our goats, odds are the clippers are around here somewhere. Good to know there's Life after Sheep! (or Horses, as the case may be, Jac...)

Leslie

#9 ·
There is a product - 3 products actually, that work together to prevent, remove mats. I can't remember the name of it, but if you do a search you should be able to find it on this forum. A poster recommended it and some others tried it and had good luck with it. I did not get it as it was not available in my local pet stores.

But DO keep on top of the mats. Our dog has the type of coat that mats very easily and we have had to shave her twice in order to remove them all - you drop off your adorable doodle at the groomers and pick up a totally different dog! (well, just in appearance of course). Still the same inside.

#10 ·
G
#11 ·
That's it! And I would be really nervous about y'all trying it but it has been getting incredible rave reviews from a bunch of others who tried it, including Cobra Man! So glad you love it as much as I do!
Gene, no need to brush them out first, and just leave the conditioner on for about 10 minutes and then rinse out. And then blow dry. (I only blow dried until damp).
Gene,
Hope you love it, too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.