Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it has been a busy 3 weeks since Matey came home. I too have many outfits like yours with small ventilation holes in them for summer. :shock: I also now have a puppy reward snack belt to accessorize all my holey summer clothes. :? But, it has been great!

We are coming along at some things such as waiting in a sit for the signal to eat, going into the crate after given the "crate" command and snapping into a sit when asked. However we also still have lots of stuff to work on like housetraining (he doesn't let us know when he needs to go out, we need to watch him for signals) and the nipping. I am wondering if I should
try the bell method for housetraining. Does anyone have any tips on this for me? Also any tips for nipping? Kristen, I remember when you mentioned that Sandy was going through this, how long did it last?

He does sleep through the night for 9 hours (and dry) without barking or making any fuss.

We are so happy to have him! :D

G

·
What a cutie pie!!!
He will learn to let you know when he needs to go out, just keep praising and treating when he goes outside. I also would always say, "Go potty" about a million times and act all excited when she went. This will teach him to potty on command, which comes in handy alot more often that you would think! (before car trips, before vet visits, on snowy, cold days...)
As for the bells, just ring them EVERY time you go outside with her, she will learn. I ended up using the bells to get her to come in. I now use them if I want her in quickly, like late at night when it's spooky to be standing at the door calling her. She FLIES in so fast because she knows the ringing bells equals a big piece of cheese every time. I figure this will also come in handy if (God forbid) she ever gets lost.
Good Luck! He is adorable and well worth the wait!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gosh it seems like just a few days ago we were voting on Matey's name. He is a doll. I guess I didn't realize how "house trained" Tucker is until I stopped and thought about it. It really does happen before you know it. At puppy kindergarten we were trained to yelp really sharply and loudly when he nipped at us,. That mimics what his sibblings would do when he has gone to far. It worked for us.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
matey is absolutely adorable. It's tough w/picking up on their signals. we would take dex out when we saw him sniffing at the ground. eventually he started crying when he had to go and now that is our signal. good luck and thanks for the photo :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhh Matey looks like a cute stuffed animal come to life!!! i could just bury my face in him and hug him hold him alllllllll day long!!! what a dollbaby!!

G

·
I went back and looked at the allocation shots and Matey sure is growing up and getting gorgeous! He looks a lot lighter, too!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Annie ... Matey is such a sweetie! Thank you!? :? for reminding me of those days just a few months ago when those puppy teeth made any every movement an adventure! It's amazing what they can go through!

We started "Potty Outside?" the very first week. Took Ebbe out every 40-60 minutes and repeated the phrase. After about ten days she would answer the question with a whine or a woof. And then began approaching us with the same whine or woof. :) From then on it was our responsibility to catch the signal. Good Luck, it'll happen sooner than you think.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Matey sure is a cutey.

The magic bullet for Tanner was to give him a treat when he went potty. We used the tiny Zukes treats or Charlie Bears...We kept one of the treat bags hung high on a hook by the door. It only took him a few times to get the connection...and no...... the treats for performance don't go on for ever. He never picked up on ringing the bell...preferring to scratch on the glass sliding door or screen.... :evil: and rip the bells apart.

I dread putting on my winter clothes...I know they all have ventilation via Tanner....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Matey is sooooo cute!! Thanks for sharing his photo.

Dexter was, and kind of still is a nipper. He's 5 mos old. It's getting less now, but he still has his moments. When he gets to go out and run around, that seems to curb it.

The trainer at his puppy-k class had a few things to say about the nipping: They'll do it less if they're adequately exercised (I've found this to totally be the case).

And when they do nip, a good thing to do is yell loudly "Owwwwww, that HURTS!!." The trained says to go for the Academy Award with your acting....and then to run out of the room into another (bathroom, bedroom, doesn't matter) and SLAM the door. Stay there for 30 seconds and come out. It feels VERY silly to do, but it teaches bite inhibition - that when they touch skin with their teeth they are not allowed to biter hard. After a week or two of this, switch to ZERO TOLERANCE; if he so much as touches your skin w/ teeth, to do the same. Now your not allowing it at all.

It's tough, but as everyone told me, it will slow down and (hopefully) eventually stop. The exercising worked a lot.

Good luck! Hang in there!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hang in there LYNN and we used to say OWWWWWWWW really loud with peanut and then ignore her each and every time she tried to nip. we would walk away. Doodles HATE being ignored :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts