Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. We are "expecting" a golden doodle pup any day now. Our breeder feels that a male doodle is often a more family loyal and affectionate dog. We have two small kids and want to be sure to pick a dog that is going to be loving, outgoing and TRAINABLE. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? It seems people tend to always want females and I can't figure out why. We are third pick of the litter so we may not end up with a choice, but if we do, I'd like to make an informed choice. We will of course have a chance to meet the pups before we pick them so we'll get a sense of what they are like, but I am interested in hearing others opinions about the male vs. female debate...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well your right most like females and as a breeder I'm stilling trying to figure out why :? :? Males are very loving and devoted, females are also but sometimes can be very clingy which can be annoying some. I love both really but to be honest if I were looking for a pet puppy I would have to chose a Male hands down.

One thing to remember is the temperament of the parents this will help you also. Good luck and let us know and post pictures.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I've always had male dogs but must say with goldendoodles, i have my 1st female " PEANUT". she is a complete doll and turning a year old now and simply the best dog i've ever seen with little kid
I also have Max a male labradoodle 17mos old and now Beau a almost 5mo old goldendoodle.

with doodles i don't find much difference in male vs female
RATHER :

i say GO WITH TEMPERAMENT and forget the sex of the doodle.
you can't go wrong then :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
As long as you plan to de-sex at 6 months or earlier, I really don't think the gender is a real concern. It is a simpler, less expensive and less invasive procedure to get a male done... other than that both make fine pets.

I've never met a more mellow, kid friendly dog than my Moses and he's not even de-sexed! Of my recent litter of 12, the 2 feistiest pups were both female... could have been a fluke, but they beat the snot out of their bigger more mellow brothers. LOL

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've had both sexes of dogs and I find that the females tend to bond more with the human males, the males with the human females. That's true with our Cinnamon. She is definitely a "Daddy's girl".

As for who is most loyal, I would say the male. A female will be better with kids but I think both are to a degree that it's not a factor if de-sexed early.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We picked a female puppy to try to avoid dominance issues with our existing male dog. It just makes sense that if you have a male dog, it might be trickier to bring another male into the house. This of course is moot if the new female dog would turn out to be super dominate. Not sure it this is an issue with you, but might be something to consider.

G

·
Yup, Bella LOVES her Daddy and yes I am jealous!! So next doggy might have to be a boy!
PS: I wanted a girl because my dog growing up was a girl...seems like a silly reason now! Temperament is most important! Bella is a very dominant girl so there were and are some battles :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I love all of my dogs (8) but I can honestly say that the temperament of the males is preferable to female!
If you get the pup neutered before maturity, you eliminate their need to mark...which is the only thing I don't like about males.
Humping?? The girls do that far more than the boys!
Nope, I prefer males. I don't undersand when people insist on females.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Jac said:
I love all of my dogs (8) but I can honestly say that the temperament of the males is preferable to female!
If you get the pup neutered before maturity, you eliminate their need to mark...which is the only thing I don't like about males.
Humping?? The girls do that far more than the boys!
Nope, I prefer males. I don't undersand when people insist on females.
Marking has always been a concern for me with a male dog, have know quite a few that mark - is it pretty safe to say if they are fixed before 6 months they won't mark, I know there isnt a guarantee but in your experience is it highly likely they wont???

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Marking has always been a concern for me with a male dog, have know quite a few that mark - is it pretty safe to say if they are fixed before 6 months they won't mark, I know there isnt a guarantee but in your experience is it highly likely they wont???
Denver was fixed around 8 months and never have we had
marking problems....................

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Thanks Sue, guess I'm gunshy, last 3 male dogs we doggy sat, 2 of them started to mark in my house, Hankiepoo has never marked inside, but he will mark everything in his path outside :wink: Our neighbors dog when we lived in Fla was a marker too
I had a male dog for 15 years growing up and he never marked

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I had a male dog for 15 years growing up and he never marked
I guess it really depends on the dog then Mary
I had a border collie growing up that we never neutered
and he never marked in the house either. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, the only time my males ever marked was AFTER puppies were born...now Chase marks everything! GGGUUURRRR! And then Nitos marks over him and even the girls sometimes mark! I really believe that it is a hormone thing and if you wait and the dog reaches maturity...you may have a problem. But even then, it only happend with us when Chase wanted to mark his babies...his way of protecting them. It is hard to find fault in his nautral instincts to claim his pups...but with a neutered maile, there is not instinct to mark...at least as far as I have seen.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Kirby wasn't fixed until after 1 yr and he never marked anything at our house (and I don't think at Annmarie's either). Now both of our boys will do a bit of marking outside, but that doesn't really bother me (as long as they go outside :wink: )

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Even Johnson who is going on 5 (hard to believe by the way) is neutered now and he does not really Mark like he did he does still some but nothing like before so I believe that the majority of Males if neutered early will not Mark unless they are a very dominate dog which Labradoodles and Goldendoodles don't tend to be.

Jac I know what you mean when puppies are around Tejas is hiking like crazy the other day I had a family here and we had him in the room and luckly I told them a head of time he does it most of tht times around puppies :roll: and low and behold there he was hiking big time. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Leslie, you are right about outside different story
Denver marks everything outside and when he has playdates
it is "you pee I pee" teehee, but like you say outside is not a problem

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda, I am glad to know it isn't just Chase!

Goodness, these babies bring a lot of messes...along with all of their sweetness!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
That is how Hankiepoo is - he marks Everything outside and def does the "you pee I pee" game
I've taken Hankiepoo on walks - it amazes me he has enough in him to mark as much as he does, you'd think he would "empty out" :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hahahhah Mary that is funny and so true
Denver pees on every tree he walks by and I wonder
how the heck does he still have some left in him to do that...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max just started lifting his leg 2 weeks ago outside ....hahhaha Beau pees, max goes over and pees on it now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts