Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Labradoodle is 5 Months old and is an absolute joy to both my husband and myself. I do everything that "packleader's" are suppose to do. We had him nuetered at 4 months old, thinking that his humping might subside. My only problem with him has been, when taking him out to play frizbe, or ball, he gets that look in his eye, and he starts humping me. I sternly say "off", with a smack..to let him know who's boss. He then proceeds to show his teeth and bark loudly at me....all the while waging his tail.

I have MS and will be taking our Mojo to be a service dog when is is old enough.

My guestion to the male labradoodle owners out there is, have any of you experienced the dominence behavior?

Thanks for your input,

Diane

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Please do not SMACK your puppy. I can give you a good link on how to be the alpha dog without hitting. It involves some scruff grabbing instead.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/alpha1.html

I have seen others (I have a girl) say "ah ah" sharply, and give the dog a sit command and the little guy stops humping and sits. TYou could try that if he has learned that command well.

· Registered
851 Posts
My dog Doc does that quite a bit still and he's 13 months old now. I also got him neutered at 4 months. I read that it can also be something they do when playing, too, and not always dominance. It sounds to me like your dog is just being playful. When Doc does it, I just gently push him down and distract him with a toy (an acceptable way to play)

· Registered
8,625 Posts
Jonah did this also after he was neutered. When it got really bad, i rolled him over on his back and held him there. After a couple of times doing this, problem solved. he no longer does this to anyone. Of course, I'm a poor excuse for a pack leader, so we still play like puppies! :wink: I know this is not a good thing, but it's fun. :oops:

· Registered
851 Posts
I think the website that Kingston Todd referenced is very good. Even though your dog is doing it in play, it could be handled the same as if it was out of dominance. They have to learn it is an unacceptable way to play. Knowing that it is a playful behavior rather than aggressive, though, would make me feel better about it though.

· Banned
5,920 Posts
Dexter is 5.5 months old and was neutered at 4 months. He used to hump me all the time and then stopped. Last week he started it with my husband (maybe 1x a night). I think we'll try the suggestions on that website. I really do think he's playing. He seems to do it when he's in need of a nap as well so we have put him into his crate when he starts doing it.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mojo and his "problem"

Thank you all for your input....I was told by other people that I must nip this in the bud before he gets worse, and to smack him on the mouth. I was getting him down and holding him there, till he looked like he was saying UNCLE, but he would get right back up and lunge at me. That is why I resorted to smacking. I am sure it was pretty funny, if someone was watching. I am only 118 lbs and he is getting bigger and bigger, so I can't do that anymore

I do believe that it IS when he gets too excited in play time. Today it is rainy and we were playing frizbe in the house....he started jumping on me and play biting ruff....I distraced him by asking him if he wanted ice cubes, (which he loves). That worked. Yesterday, I told him firmly to "off", and that seemed to work a little bit.

I will keep you posted on Mojo. I am taking him every Sunday to training also, so I am sure he will get better. I have all the faith in the world that he will improve and I will learn to handle it better.

Have a good Doodle day,
Diane

· Registered
8,335 Posts
When Denver misbehaves we fold our arms and turn our backs to him.
If when we turn around and he continues, then we repeat, it usually only
takes one or two times. We NEVER smack as this teaches nothing but aggression in my opinion:)

· Registered
294 Posts
Otto was castrated at 6 months, he has a large teddy as big as himself which he humps, I only let him play with this when I think he needs to have a playmate. His lipstick comes out and he enjoys himself, I think it is a dominence and not sexual thing, I ignore it as he does not do it with any other thing or person

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.