Labradoodle Forums banner

Maisy was attacked

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Calimom 
#1 ·
My sister owns Lucy's sister Maisy and was out in their front yard with Maisy and their 4 children (Maisy was on a leash) when she heard the click click click of a dog running down the road. She turned to see a pit bull headed straight for Maisy and before she knew it it lunged for Maisy's neck. My sister (Hannah) was able to yank Maisy behind her enough to avoid the pit bull getting a hold on her and yelled and kicked to get the dog away. It came back at Maisy over and over and it was all Hannah could do to protect her with her feet. After minutes of this kind of struggle she thought the only way to save her would be to get her in the house and she let go of the leash while yelling "IN THE HOUSE!!!" and Maisy ran for the door. The pit bull followed and slammed Maisy up against the house but Hannah found a large stick and knocked the pit bull off the steps just long enough to get the door open and Maisy in. The dog then went after the neighbors dog who was able to hold it off and finally the owner came walking up and was able to get a hold of it and clip a leash on. Apparently this is a new neighbor who is renting and they have no fence. It was a rescue dog they got for their son. My sister filed a police report and all they were able to do was to issue a leash law citation to him. In order to force them to get a fence my sister was told she would have to get signatures from all those on the street. Maisy was very shaken, had several small cuts but was not severely hurt. Hannah says she was very skitterish about going out near the road (very quiet road) and she barked at every little thing but it seems to be gradually getting better. Why on earth would anyone not have an agressive dog like that on leash?? so glad the kids did not get hurt. Hannah did give him a good tongue lashing. She was so shook up!! :x :x :x :x :x

See less See more
#2 ·
OMG Ann.....I'm so glad Maisey wasn't seriously injured!! or the kids and Hannah for that matter....What on earth is wrong with people???? Is it possible that he places a little too much trust in his new rescue???? I'll bet he never walks dow the street again without a leash...in fact I'll bet he never walks down the street again. after Hannah got through with him!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Was there at least any kind of apology??

#5 ·
Hannah said that all the owner said to her was I'm so sorry, is your dog OK and I tried to block her but she ran away from me. I think he was probably embarrassed. Lucky him that thats all he was 'cause if Maisy suffered any serious damage or THE KIDS then he would have been facing a lot more than embarrassment and a citation!!! After he leashed the dog Hannah said "Don't go ANYWHERE! I need to check on my dog and my kids and I WE HAVE TO DISCUSS THIS!" She said he really didn't say much of anything except I'm sorry and he left. I guess the kids are OK. They range in age from 6 to 13 and were very scared. (Deep breath...)

#6 ·
This is from Molly and Me, for Maisey!

Please tell her to try to forget that horrible experience, and focus on her loving family!!!

Sending hugs ((((((((((for Maisey))))))))

Raleigh & Molly! :D :D

#7 ·
Thank goodness Maisey, the other dog, and Hannah and the kids are ok! Why is it that the people who most often own pit bulls are also the ones too stupid to know how to keep them??? :evil:

#8 ·
OMG how scarey I am so glad no one, puppy or people were seriously hurt

I sure hope this guy gets a fence or kennel for his dog - otherwise he needs to have it in a harness, leash on before waliking out front door and needs to Muzzle it when it is outside ! I think I'd get a can of mace or pepper spray for protection to have when I was outside if I lived near that dog

#9 ·
I think I'll mention to Hannah about the pepper spray. Wouldn't want to have to use it but it could save her from another horrible experience.

#12 ·
What a rotten experience!
My brothers dog many years ago was killed by 3 dogs running the neighborhood who got hold of her while she was outside going potty. She was a long haired weiner dog cross, about 30 lbs and they were much larger. She didn't have a chance.

It's SO unfair that you have to feel at risk in your own neighborhood or yard! Just makes me mad to think about it. I'd have given him a good tongue lashing too!

#13 ·
Wow! So the dog attacks and all that happens is they get a no leash citation? If some dog came running up and attacked my dog I'd make damn sure they got more than that. If nothing else I'd be door to door spreading the word about the dangerous dog running around and make sure everyone signed the petition to make them get a fence or get rid of the dog. Glad the dog is ok, but geez it coulda been one of the kids, that's just crazy and scary!

G
#14 ·
Did she try calling the local dog warden or anything? I know here in NC if Maya were to bite anyone (human or dog) if it was reported she would have to wear a muzzle at all times while in public. The second time it happened she would be put down.

I am glad everyone is ok and I hoped the owner has learned from this and keeps the dog on the leash and seeks some professional help to train or re train the dog.

#15 ·
Don't know if she contacted the dog warden. Wonder if the police are required to to that...
I also wonder how much this family knew about the history of the dog before they adopted it. I've met some really nice pit bulls but have also seen some aggressive ones too.

#16 ·
Dextersmommy said:
That brings tears to my eyes thinking about what could have been with my neighborhood Rottweiler.

Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt! Since I talked to the mayor's wife, no sign of the rott.
I've been wondering what ever happened with that situation. Thanks for letting us know.

And I'm so glad Maisy and the kids are okay. I think mace or pepper spray's the way to go. Always pays to be prepared.

Leslie

#19 ·
I love animals, especially dogs, but Pitbulls do not belong in family homes or in residential neighborhoods. I was a pediatric nurse at our Children's hospital and saw to many defenseless children seriously hurt by this breed. And the standard excuse is always 'but he never bit anyone before'!

#20 ·
I am soooooo sorry to hear what happened to your sister and her dog Maisey!! that is such a horrifying experience....one which both maisey and your sister and the neighbor will take a long time to get over!

had that pitbull bit a person the first offense is a warning, the 2nd they can put the dog down

My cousin owned a pitbull, and it went to attack my brother when he was young...........luckily god protected my brother.
I am NOT FOND of pitbulls and many people do not know how to train or handle them. Also a rescue pitbull is not an easy dog nor does one know their breeding either

I am going to say prayers that Maisey and your sister are comforted and that this doesn't happen again.

((((((((((( for your sister and Maisey)))))))))))))))) hugs with prayers

#21 ·
Thank you for your kind words everyone. One thing Hannah was told by the police was that oftentimes they see these dogs will only be animal aggressive or people aggressive but not usually both. Perhaps that is why when Hannah got Maisy in the house it then turned on another dog and not the kids or Hannah.

#22 ·
Ann, I'm so sorry to hear of Hannah's and Maisey's horrible experience and am so thankful that no one, dog or human, was seriously injured. I truly hope this guy gets a fence or a muzzle at the very least for his dog so your sister and Maisey don't have to live in fear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.