Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i finally got a fresh stool sample from maggie this morning, and she has been acting fine the past few days (and I could never figure out which pile in the yard was the fresh one) but I still wanted to get her checked.

turns out, she tested positive for giardia. now she is on panacur for the next 5 days. i'm a little grossed out, and wondering if she got it from the week at the doggy day care/boarding facility she was at (she has been acting a little "off" since returning home from there) but I know she could have picked it up anywhere. i also know that sometimes the sample tests negative and you have to do a few samples, so I'm thankful that the first one tested positive so we can get her back on the road to health.

i'm a little heeby jeebied out, and i think i read on here that humans can catch it. i do not have a clue how to sanitize my entire house since she has been on every leather couch, in every carpeted room and on the tile floors in the kitchen and laundry room. the vet said that we won't catch it, and i should just clean up accidents quickly and use bleach water to sanitize those areas. of course, i have lysol mopped the floors, but i'm wondering what else I need to do? i have my parents coming to visit on friday and i would hate for them to pick up any stray germs!

also should i call the doggy day care to let them know that maggie tested positive for giardia (not blaming them, just letting them know)??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my neighbors must think i'm nuts. i was out there in my bathrobe crouched down over all the piles. i usually keep up better with the pooper scooper but since they've been so cow pie like, i have had to let them "age" for a few days. and stupid me had our yard aerated so now I have to figure out which ones are dirt plugs and which ones are doggy presents.

i went with the shiniest pile and hoped for the best... :oops:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks, now I too have visuals! I too had that problem when Jonah was runny the first few months I had him. Trying to pick it up was more like smearing it around! I think as long as you're not on your hands and knees "sniffing" it out, you're ok! :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Advice from one who has been there..yup..got giardia...and believe me taking flagyl was no picnic..I think is made by the Draino folks. I also ended up in hospital for fluid infusion..nothing to mess with.

Best advice...don't sleep with dog with giardia. Wash hands after cleaning up stools. You can clean with a 10% bleach solution. Be sure to have your dog retested after the round of medication. I took in 3 stool samples each time.

She may have gotten it from doggy daycare or not, it is fairly easy to get from standing water. She also could have had it but it flared under stress of doggy daycare.

We finally had to have Tanner vaccinated..(it is a 2 shot treatment given every year). He will be retested next month and we are keeping our fingers crossed.

G

·
Definitely let the kennel know. My kennel specifically requests to be notified if you think your dog picked up an illness there. They have a sign posted right at the front desk. Here is how they are supposed to treat an outbreak and they should notify all owners whose pets stayed there I would think.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=739

How do I control Giardia in my kennel?

Infection with Giardia can be a big problem in kennels, and a multi-faceted approach is needed.

Treat Animals: Treat all nonpregnant animals with fenbendazole for 5 days. On the last day of treatment, move them to a holding facility while a clean area is established. When the animals are moved back to the clean area, treat them once again with a 5-day course of fenbendazole or albendazole.

Decontaminate the Environment: Establish a clean area. If possible, this can be the whole facility. Otherwise, create a few clean runs or cages, separate from the others. Remove all fecal material from the areas since the organic matter in feces can greatly decrease the effectiveness of many disinfectants. Steam clean the area. Quaternary ammonium disinfectants used according to manufacturer's directions or a 1:5 or 1:10 solution of bleach can usually kill the cysts within one minute. Allow the area to dry for several days before reintroducing the animals. NOTE: Use extreme caution when using quaternary ammonium compounds and bleach solutions. Use proper ventilation, gloves, protective clothing and follow your veterinarian's recommendations.

Clean the Animals: Cysts can remain stuck to the haircoats of infected animals. So during treatment and before moving the treated animals to the clean area, they should be regularly shampooed and rinsed well. Especially concentrate on the perianal area.

Prevent Reintroduction of Giardia: Giardia can be brought into the kennel either by introducing an infected animal or on your shoes or boots. Any new animal should be quarantined from the rest of the animals and be treated and cleaned as described above. You should either use disposable shoe covers or clean shoes/boots and use a footbath containing quaternary ammonium compounds to prevent people from reintroducing Giardia.

Remember, Giardia of dogs may infect people, so good, personal hygiene should be used by adults when cleaning kennels or picking up the yard, and by children who may play with pets or in potentially contaminated areas.

G

·
Ok and for keeping your house safe...
it looks like the best thing to do is keep the yard free of dog waste. That way it won't get tracked into the house unknowingly. Wear Gloves and of course, wash your hands!!! Keep Maggie clean after she goes, maybe baby wipes (with gloves again).
I read that the Giardia needs moisture to survive outside the body. Dog waste obviously must have enough moisture and cold will not kill it. But as for it being in your home, I doubt it so don't panic about that.
My son when he was much younger picked it up on a camping trip, we swam in a lake, he probably swallowed some water while swimming and beavers lived in the area. They are a big carrier. He showed symptoms (only a distended abdomen) and the doctor tested for it. I insisted we all be checked even though no one else had symptoms and I was positive, too. No one else in the family came back positive.

G

·
Now back to hunting for poop...... ha ha ha, I am laughing so hard right now!!! My neighbors must think I'm quite the sight, walking around the yard staring intently at the leaves looking for poop.

This is a must now that Boyd has developed a taste for his own "goodies." If I don't get it immediately he remembers where it is and off he goes! It's really funny to watch him searching for it and looking perplexed b/c "gosh, darn it!" he could have sworn that's where he went! :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
1- i am sooooo sorry to hear about the giardia

2_ i too was trying to get sever diarrhea watery stool samples from max and peanuts mushy one in my bright pink with doggies on them jammies! my hair not brushed either!! what a sight i was with plastic cups , good OLD spoon in hand

3_ my friend Brenda came over to help out with Max and peanut ...well at one point she looked to see what i was doing and the next thing i know
I MOONED Her !! :shock: hhahhahahahaa the look on her face was awesome

4- thanks for the visual poopy episode..i am cracking up here and also happy to know i wasn't the only one doing this on a bright sunny day!

5--luckily for us max and peanut tested negative to all testing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts