Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm going to cut and paste my pm to Annmarie so you all can see exactly how my weekend went...

Forgive me if this is a long rambly mess - I've had a loooong day.

Shoot me - This poor dog - I'm ready to throttle her!! She will be a different dog once she is allowed out of her crate - but she thrashes and thrashes and thrashes some more - then this horrible scream cry. We have tried just about everything to sedate her - the thrashing is going to wreck that leg! She has been on so many doggy sedatives and painkillers - then when that didn't work we were given 2mg xanax (yes, 2 mg! .5 is enough to take down a 200lb man) because they we are now classifying it as "anxiety" - THAT didn't work, so as of yesterday we've been dosing her with benedryl! Ridiculous amounts of BENEDRYL. Its the only thing that knocks her out!

So this morning I went to drop Annie off at my mother's house - I had Mags on the leash and we walked up to the pool area and next thing I know she ripped out of my hands and dove into the covered pool - the $$$$ solar cover! Thank God it didn't rip, but her splint was soaked through! So now we go home and I'm trying to decide if we bother with the emergency vet (It would have taken some serious financial rearranging and bank transfers) I decided to wait until after my photo shoot and pray my client pays my $$$ sitting fee cash. So I go to the shoot and of course the client paid by check.

THEN

I get home - and wouldn't you know it psycho girl shattered her cone and ate off half her splint. She has also destroyed 2 wire crates in 2 weeks. My vet is doing all her work pro-bono so it's killing me to consider going to the emergency vet to have the splint fixed when I can tape the damn thing back together and wait to see my vet in the morning.

PLEASE give me strength - I'm at my wits end. I KNOW it will all be better once the leg is healed - we just desperately need to get to that point!

If we don't keep her she is absolutely going to have to go to a very experienced home. Its going to be a nightmare to train her once this is all over with. She has zero socialization and it gets worse every hour she is crated....
So this is the update to that PM -

Last night I temporarily repaired the splint - Knowing that she had an appointment today to have it either resplinted (which was scheduled) or removed completely. Based on her how well healed she was (yay!) her attitude and the fact she is essentially un-sedatable we've decided no more splint and crate for only 50% of the day and all night. She's likely to do more damage than we're trying to prevent!

So - we are now allowed to walk her for short distances - but she still needs plenty of rest - hopefully this is the beginning of the end of "psycho dog" as we've so lovingly nicknamed her!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Hopefully some short walks will help make her a bit more sane!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh My! Hang in there!!! I am sure it's just as hard on Psycho Dog as it is on you guys, hopefully allowing less cage time will really help!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
so how'd it go at the Vet?????
and did you try the 30min lie down yet?

i sure hope Maggie once she has the splint off for good becomes a calmer dog, all i can think of is she has tons of pent up energy in her right now.
and while i don't envy you.......I am also happy she is with you and jeff as i don't know if other fosters would have been as understanding and patient w/her.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wow, you are amazing!! I am sorry you have such trouble. But maybe in a week or two things will get better. :cry: :? :( :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
WOW! Sounds like the type of dogs we always end up rescueing . I feel for ya!

Get some bachs rescue rememdy it will do better then most drugs out there without side effects and general drug effects. can you tell i love the sstuff lol

michele

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MaxandMe said:
and did you try the 30min lie down yet?
Yup - at the vet today. It took 5 of us to hold her down and get the rest of the old splint off!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
The vet started with one tech holding her, and it progressed to 2 techs and then both me & Jeff jumped in to help, then we had to call a third in to hold her leg still while the vet cut the splint off. It was insane - all the while you'd think this would panic her - but she grinned like a fool and took in all the attention and tried to lick us all to death. It amazes me what this poor thing has endured the past 3 weeks (has it only been THREE weeks?) and she is still as happy as any puppy should be. She is going to make a GREAT family member once I get her exercised and trained.

Now to be serious, I did actually start with her last night - and yes, I have to pin her to get her to stay down. She'll get it... she is probably one of the smartest dogs I've ever met and the most determined!

I have a date with her on Friday morning to go swimming in the ocean (COLD) but it will be wonderful exercise for her! Then we are going to go visit a local groomer who heard about her and has offered to do a full groom - including sanitary, glands (if I want), dematting and half inch cut for only $45 (cheap here). Her bad leg was shaved and now that the cast is off she still has some cast "gunk" stuck in her fur - so the woman said she'd do a peanut butter treatment to dissolve the gunk and clean the leg. I told her I don't care about her looking like a doodle right now - right now I'm worried about getting that filthy coat cleaned and cut short so we can start fresh. I'll post before and after pictures when its all over :) I don't this poor woman knows what shes getting in for by offering to groom my poor psycho girl - hopefully between the swimming in the AM and benedryl I'll give her she won't put up too much of a struggle.

I hope this explains why I never post anymore! :lol: :lol: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Wow Kristin - that's quite a story. You are such a wonderful person to do all you have for Maggie!! Good luck at the beach - swimming really seems to tire them out!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Oh, Man! And I thought it was bad when I found our foster dog, Lucy, on the kitchen table! LOL! You must be going insane. And poor Maggie... I'm sure there is a good doodle in there somewhere just waiting for some exercise and training.

Deb

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh, man! You really have had a trial going on....but, it sounds like things are on the mend...in more ways than one....Rescue Remedy from the Health Food Store....is a great help with anxiety and freakin'out psycho dogs!! I know, Coco has had to have some a couple of times and it did work. You might try it.
Praying this all smooths out soon....can't wait to hear how the grooming goes. The Rescue Remedy would be good for that time in a new situation.

8)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kristen.....bless you for all you've done for the psycho pup!! I hope that once she gets a little better and some exercise that she will show her true doodle colors!! Keep up the good work!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts