Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so grossed out. Maggie is about a year and a half now and has been awesome as far as being potty trained in the house. Well, a few days ago, she pooped downstairs when I was down there cleaning. I was mad because she didn't bark to be let out or anything.

today she was outside for much of the day because it is finally nice in Colorado, and then when she was back inside, she pooped in my dining room (of course my floors are dark slate tile and beige carpeting and she always chooses the carpeting!). It looked pretty loose, so i took her back outside. let her back in during dinner but kept her gated in the (tile) kitchen. She kept barking so I kept trying to take her out but she wasn't going out. I figured she wanted to be let out of the kitchen to be where my boys were watching TV in the living room. so, i let her out of the kitchen and about 2 seconds later she pooped on the living room carpet! Loose stool again; i grabbed her and ran her outside where she remains now.
I am completely out of any type of cleaner (Nature's Miracle, etc, which in my opinion doesn't work that well), so I tried to blot as much of it up as I could.

I am worried that something is really wrong with her. she hasn't had an accident in the house for months (in fact we were getting ready to get the carpets cleaned now that she is so much more trustworthy...DH is rethinking that now. we may have to wait a while).

She has been chewing on big rawhide bones lately; her favorite thing to do. Never when I'm gone, just when I'm home. WOuld maybe too many rawhides be a cause of diarrhea? or could it be some sort of blockage (in that case, an emergency??).

I'm dreading tonight; she will bark to go out in the middle of the night only when she has diarrhea.

other than the stools, she is acting fine and running around. has been drinking fine all day, too.

HELP! any thoughts? advice??

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Poor Maggie, I would say there is something wrong to cause such a change in her behaviour. They just don't start messing in the house for no reason. I would take her to your vets tomorrow to get checked out. I, personally, do not like rawhide and will not give them to my dogs. Pieces can get lodged in their intestines and rawhide will swell and cause blockages.

Please let us know what the vet says about Maggie. In the meantime, if you have some pepto bismol, give her 1 cc per 10 lbs of body weight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you give pepto bismol? i've never given it to my dog before. i'm sure I have some here; do i use a medicine dropper?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you have a childs medicine dropper you can use that. 1 cc is the same as 1 ML

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah was a pain with the dropper, but did well with the chewables. I either put it in cheese or sometimes if I dropped it on the floor and said "oops", he'd gab it up like a found treasure!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Proof that you CAN outsmart a Doodle :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i mixed pepto bismal in my 2 doodles food and added water.

I hope you find out why Maggie is a bit "off" lately. As there could be somthing bothering her intestines? let us know what the vet says.

Personally, max and peanut got mushy poopies from bully sticks and don't get rawhides either. I stick to giving them kongs sometimes with treats.

G

·
Bella was sick with the SAME symptoms about 2 weeks ago, except she also vomited (once) what looked like blood to me. The vet said, "well that is a little worrisome :roll: , but he did not want to see her, unless it happened again and he wanted us to stop food until the vomiting stopped. He said there was a 'bug' going around and many dogs had it. She would cry in the middle of the night, I would let her out and she would STILL go on the tile later in the night or early morning. It happened 2 consecutive nights and then again on the 4th night. The first night she was so sick, it was all over the entire 2 rooms where she sleeps. It seriously took me 1.5 hours to clean it all up. She is all better now, thank God! Hang in there. They truly are not doing anything to spite you. They just can't tell exactly what is going on (and of course ALL dogs would rather go in the carpet than on the tile if given a choice. :wink: )
PS: I read a good article about how dogs are being so spoiled and the question asked was, "How many parents would run their child to the doctor after one bout of diarrhea?" :lol:
But, of course, I was IMMEDIATELY on the phone with the vet for Bella!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
betty said:
I swear that sometimes babies are easier than puppies.
me too

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maggie seems fine now!

Thanks for all the nice responses. She did wake up at 1:30 last night and my husband got up with her (and then he couldn't get back to sleep so he was up all night after that). He said she was fine, but I sure couldn't sleep. i was worried about her. Today she seemed fine. I gave her rice this morning and made sure she had plenty of water. By this evening I gave her some dog food mixed in with lots of rice. She seems totally fine today. I haven't seen any of her poop (outside, luckily not inside!) because it has been snowing so much today that as soon as she went outside and went to the bathroom, it was covered up by an inch of snow! But she has been acting just fine and I made sure to be home as much as I could.

I bought some Spot Shot today and it seemed to work really well on the carpeting! I used it and then sucked it up with our Little Green machine. i still see faint spots but compared to the DARK brown of last night, it is a great improvement! I had read somewhere that it works, and for me Nature's Miracle didn't really work (left stains still). Since it is goign to cost a few thousand bucks to get the carpets cleaned, I wanted to try something a little cheaper for now!

Maggie will not get any more rawhides, and she is probably pretty sad about that (she has a high chewing need and doesn't really love the nylabones or kongs), but hopefully I can find something else that she'll love as much.

I'm pretty sure it was a rawhide "overdose".

Babies are WAY easier than dogs! At least they wear diapers!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
cmives........babies are not easier hahahhaa or let's put it this way.
i had 3 kids in 4years, i changed diapers for a total of 7.5 years, didn't sleep thru the night for 7 years...coudnt leave them alone till they were 13yrs old then they hit TEENAGEhood. I still pick up after them, drive them all over, cook for them and LOVE THEM but

a dog matures in 2yrs or so, is housebroken in 1 week to a month or two at most, they sleep thru the night by time their 3mos old or sooner, they only neeed to be driven to the vets or when you CHOOSE to take them for a ride in the car, they don't drink or do drugs hahahhaha if ya netuer and/or spay them you don't worry about pregnancy and protection hahaha, they listen better than teenagers, and kiss you more too.

soooooo all in all, a doodle is easier to raise in the long run hahahhaa
as i am still rasing my 15, 17 and 18yr old

NOW raising puppies is not an easy feat i'll admit as i have 2 right now but i'll take another doodle over another kid hahahhaha!!!!

and NO i am NOT getting a 3rd doodle!!!

G

·
Try some putting some plain yogurt in the kong and freezing it. Or even mix in some tuna fish and freezing it. And I think the cows ears (Moo Chews) that Bella loves might technically be rawhide, but they are all natural and seem thinner and crunchier than rawhide, might be worth trying. Or a bully stick lasts longer and they LOVE them. This site sells both items:
http://www.bullysticksonline.com/servle ... UAodRVDr5w
And raw marrow bones are great. Our supermarket now puts them out in the meat section under soup bones. Just try and get the thick boned ones so they won't splinter. They like to try and get the marrow out of the center and keeps her busy for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts