Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while my husband was working out in the yard, maggie our 1 year old doodle got stung by some bees/wasps that had nested in our fitzer bushes. my husband also got a few stings. he said that she was freaking out, rolling around in the grass, and he brought her inside to brush her out. when he thought he got all of the wasps, he'd turn around and another one would come out from under her fur! i am glad i wasn't there to witness this! it has me a little freaked out.

she is licking a few spots (my husband estimates that she may have about 5-6 stings) but otherwise seems okay. should we have called our vet? are there things that i could be looking out for (of course my hubby is gone for the evening so I'm on my own and a little nervous!)?

i think my husband got her well-brushed out, and he didn't think it was necessary to call the vet or have her looked at.

any advice? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
just watch for swelling... she should be fine. You could but a little calamine or cortisone on the spots if you can find them if she appears to be uncomfortably itchy.


also you can give dogs benadryl, I normally have it around and dose it per the vets instuctions when needed if swelling presents itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,243 Posts
I agree with Mic...benadryl works, but will put your puppy to sleep and it is easy to over dose. Some (including myself) are very affected by this drug and so I would start in very small doses, drops (as Mic says.)

In order to be sure that they are all out, you could use a flea comb too...a brush might miss one but the flea comb wouldn't.

I'd also call the vet for things to watch for...with so many bites, you don't want an allergic reaction too.

http://www.sidyboysfoolin.com/Stings.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
how is maggie doing?????

our max here got stung 2 weeks ago and he swelled up like a balloon. and it took 3 days for the swelling to go down even with bendryl. YES i am going to be very careful with him this summer. we also have epipens for my boys as well as they too have severe reactions.

7 years ago I had a papillon that got stung 30 times or more? his whole body was a puff ball. Benedryl and ice cubes round the clock did the trick.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: COLD WATER (shower or hose)CAN SLOW DOWN A SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION IN BOTH PETS AND PEOPLE. I know this as i have a life threatening allergy and it once saved my life to get me to a hospital.

it's no different for us and pets....swelling, hives, trouble breathing, disorientation, feeling like you have apill stuck or not being able to drink water etc....can be signs of a possible anaphylactic reaction which needs immediate attention.

sorry didn't mean to go like this but with my allergy and having a dog go to emergency before ....well you know.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top