Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the lyme vaccine. I live in Massachusetts and my vet is highly recommending it (along with advantix) and I've heard that some breeds don't do well with this vaccine and that it is not always effective. I have a 4 1/2 month old F1B and I'm trying to figure out if I should get it for her or not.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Amy, welcome to the forum!

I live in the mountains of CA and I get Lyme vaccine for my dogs and have never had trouble with it. It is also recommended here.

Many people are against giving shots and meds to their pets, as are some people against such things for their children. That, of course, is a very personal choice...but when you are asking if they are safe, there is always a slight risk with vaccines, but I prefer that risk to the risk of not giving them.

Anyway, all of our dogs have done well with it and they got their first at a fairly early age too, if I recall...around 4-5 months.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Amy!

We got it for Sammy since she will be outside a great deal and there are TONS of ticks in MN. I think its a good idea since Lymes can be such a terrible disease to deal with.

We also did get the Lepto vaccine since our vet also recommended that since Sam will be outside so much (hunting)... If you trust yoru vet I would go with whatever they recommend. They're not recommending it to make the extra $2 or whatever their take is, they're recommending it because they know alot about this and they feel its right for your dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts