Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoey was spayed about 3 weeks ago and after about a week her stomach started to swell where the incision was so I took her to the doc and he said it was infected. We put her on antibiotics and now it look's great at the incision but there is still a lump under that. It kinda feels like a muscle and I've heard that sometimes they don't cut through it right or something. Anyway, was wondering if anyone has heard of this.
Thank you,

Tricia & Zoey

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, cute picture of Zoey! (Looks like she is saying, "Whatever."

It could be a hernia, how large is the lump? If it is small, it will probably be fine with the antibiotics, but if it doesn't go away (soon, like in a couple of days) or it gets larger or even reddish on the outside, I'd go back to the vet right away. If the lump is larger than a stitch or staple should be, I go now and ask about hernias.

That is what can push through the muscle once the muscle has been cut...and I have had them after surgery. They are pretty common. But if she has one, you don't want to wait because they can have complications.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thought I would share

Hey,
Just thought I would share quickly, Mozart has a little hernia which i initially thought was an outie belly button *duh* these are quite comon and in most casses could just be left alone. However it could be as said some internal sutures or even some scar tissue from infection. Good Luck, I am sure your pup is ok!

xxx

Kym an Mozart

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
a dog can actually be allergic to the interior stitches however a huge lump and bruising will present itself. the antibiotics will clear it up.

the other type of lump which my female had this year after her spay stayed for several weeks and eventually resolved itself with no medication. just a little surgery irritation :)

sounds like you are covered either way :) I wouldnt worry at all!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for all your replys. I think the lump is actually getting smaller but will keep a watch on it. The vet didn't seem that concerened when I brought her in before but if it's not gone after one month of her having her surgery I will take her back. At first it was about the size of a golf ball but now is about half that size and she doesn't seem to want me to touch it. Other than that it doesn't seem to effect her, she is her normal happy doodle self.
Thanks Again,

Tricia & Zoey

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ooooh, I didn't know it was that large...I think I'd get a second opinion...golf ball sized, or even half of that is pretty big for a puppy...and if she doesn't want you to touch, could be more. At least insist that your vet take another look...tell them the size of the lump and that it is tender.
Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Tricia........that is such great news about Zoey!!! so happy to hear good news :D :D :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts