Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Louie is spending the day at the vet today. Sometime last night he cut his foot but good! I didn't notice it till bed time, when I could not get him off the couch to come to bed. When he finally got up I realized he was favoring his foot, and when I looked the top of his foot was sliced down to the bone ! I cleaned it up with peroxide, bandaged him up and called the vet the first thing this morning. My vet is wonderful, and let me bring him right in before I went to work. He said he is cut down to the knuckle, but it doesn't look to be any damage to the joint--thank goodness!! He will be sedated, cleaned up and stitched up and I can pick him up after work. He will be on antibiotics for awhile. My poor baby!! My point is-----I kept thinking about Riley, and his injury all night which really prompted me to get on top of this ASAP. Hopefully Louie and Riley will make a complete recovery!! Thanks for letting me vent--I won't stop worrying about him all day---Kathy

G

·
I hope Louie feels better soon. The fur on our dogs can hide injuries so easily. The great thing is their recovery time is usually rapid!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get better soon Louie, wish you a speedy recovery :)

If it's any comfort.......

We have no idea how Bella fractured her leg either :oops:

If they're not showing obvious signs of distress it's hard to tell if somethings wrong immediatly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your concern ! Louie is doing pretty good this morning--but very sad and obviously hurting. He is a very lucky boy though--the vet said his joint was not damaged and all the tendons are intact--thank goodness! The concern now is infection because the wound was right down to the joint. He got a shot of antibiotics--and the wound was cleaned with and antiobiotic soulution--and dressed with an antibiotic salve. He is on oral antibiotics for the next ten days----so I think all the bases have been covered ! He gets the dressing changed and checked in a few days and the stitches out on the 28th. I think the problem is going to be keeping it clean and dry till then. I am covering the bandage with a plastic bag when he goes out but he hates that--any other suggestions ? I also think once he starts to perk up it is going to be really hard to have him take it easy on the foot--especially with the other dogs around--wish me luck!--I still can't believe he had such a nasty injury and I did not realize it !--Again--thanks for all your good thoughts---Kathy and Louie

·
Registered
401 Posts
glad to hear he is doing better. im sure he will be fine soon, riley is doing a lot better :D. im no expert but maybe you could put an old sock over it to go outside? Hopefully it wont get infected!

good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lauren-so glad to hear that Riley is doing better--I have really been following your story. It really made me not waste any time in getting Louie to the vet ! He is doing much better now too. He is much happier and seems to feel better everyday. I started using a sock on his foot last night--and he seems to like that better--I'll have to use something water proof if it is really wet out though. He really hates the plastic bag--so I am trying to come up with something as it is suppose to rain here tonight. My biggest challenge now is making sure he does not overdo it--he is really getting back to his old self.--and wants to play with the other dogs. I'll be glad when this is over--I am sure you can relate !---Kathy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks--I wonder if they can be purchased at a pet store--I will check it out this weekend. Louie will look so slick in boots !!--Kathy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update on Louie. Two days before he was suppose to have his bandage redone and his foot checked--he had enough and shredded the bandage, and managed to remove a stitch. So back to the vet--the wound looked pretty nasty to me--but the vet said is is healing well. He is rebandaged and must keep it on till the 28th. Keeping the dressing clean and dry is still my biggest challange. The vet tech. recommended a surgical glove. This is working pretty good. He is wearing a sock over his dressing, and when he goes out I tape the surgical glove over the sock. He likes it better as it is not as slipppery as a plastic bag. I found some boots at the pet store--but they were expensive--and I only need one--not four!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts