Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. :D
I am looking for an adult female labradoodle in the state of MI. The family that I work for has recently purchased two puppies, male and female and are currently looking for an adult to add. They are intending on bredding so the female must not be spayed and they can't really afford to pay an arm and a leg for it. Thanks for all your help in advance!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi,

welcome to the forum :)

I think you will find that an adult breeding female with rights from a reputable breeder is going to cost an arm and a leg :) And besides if they can't afford one they probably need to think about breeding because let me tell you it is expensive. Between the obvious food and housing etc, they are testing costs and vet costs and all sorts of things you dont think of. ANd that is if everything goes perfect which it doesnt always.

Do you know what generation they are looking for? Do they plan on breeding their puppies to it? And if so do they have the breeding rights to do so?

There are a lot of good links that share the true stories and costs about breeding :) I am sure some here will have some good links I like the one below.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

·
Registered
401 Posts
movistar is correct. If you are planning on doing testings and offering warranties, there are many people on this site that will gladly help you get started. If they are not willing to spend a lot they should reconsider breeding. They should definitely research all the costs and work that breeding will take. In order to breed genetically sound puppies they will have to get a lot of testings done including Hip testings. Hopefully Jac will see this messege, I know shes busy but she knows a ton more than I do, I learned everything from her...

also where in michigan are you located? UP or LP?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Greetings from a former Michigander!
Where are you located?

Welcome and post anytime...both you and the people you work for.

This forum doesn't have rules about breeders testing their breeding stock, but the fact is that we all do. So after we've put time, and money and of course the care we would not have an adult dog for sale *cheap* unless they were not acceptable for breeding.

INVESTING in a Doodle that is worth it, for future breeding says you care about more than the money but the dogs, the future clients, your reputation, and the breed itself. It's like having self-respect, ya know? :D

Best wishes....

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Mark is working on this it may be on his back burner but we have discussed it here and he will at some point have a questioner for new breeders wanting to advertise to fill out. Testing will be an issue, but your right Maureen we all test already and we all should. If you can't afford to test then you need not waste your money buying breeders.

Breeding if done right is expensive Testing and other Vet Bills, Housing, Food, Treats, Bedding, Vaccines, Micro-chips, Stud fees, or AI expense, travel, your time if you have one sep back like a dog doesn't test out you never get that time back. You can just change direction in a program and this sets you back. There are so many things to think about before starting and if they doing it for money that is the wrong reason. Yes, everyone wants to make money but it can take time and heartache before this every happens.

I'm sure I've not covered it all so anyone can add to this that wants to, this is just some of the things they need to think about.

One other thing lots and lots of Poop to clean up :oops: :!: :!:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I work at a grooming salon and we are SUPER SWAMPED!!! I am the bather for the head groomer and I bathed, blew out and brushed out 14 dogs from 9 AM-4 PM!

They found a 5 month old female that is housebroke and the mom went to Ohio to pick it up today. Hopefully it works out. They have "papers" and breeding rights to all three dogs that they have.

We are located about 20 miles north of Lapeer, MI. That's in the thumb area of the LP.

These people are new to the whole breeding scene and I have never done it myself either. I have worked in a vet clinic before so I have some knowledge but its limited due to never experiencing it first hand. They have only ever bred dogs once and they were a litter of Jack Russells and there were only 3 so it wasn't a lot to deal with.

All three dogs that they have now are 1st generation labradoodles. They plan on breeding the male out to both females.

Any information that you could pass along would be greatly appreciated. It would probably be better if you just emailed the info. to me though; [email protected]. I don't always get online with time to surf around. Thanks!! :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have sent you an e-mail about breeding F1xF1.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I see Diane sent you an email. excellent.

just so you know breeding and f1 to an f1 is not correct. It is rarely rarely done and usually only by THE most knowledgable breeders and takes an exceptional F1.

I strongly urge that research be done, its sounds like dogs are just being thrown together in the hopes of making money. while that is a harsh statement, there are breeders here that will help your friend and tons of information on the internet.

I can tell you if the puppies ar sold as non shed 2nd generation and the (as the bell curve indicates) all or most will be lab or f1 like you will have a lot of very very unhappy puppy parents and no repeat business.

try reviewing the breed standards. try reviewing the generational developments for foundation dogs.

pm if you need additional help or if your friend would like anyone to contact her. seems you are busy enough!!

also, there are several reputable breeders in michigan already so that is going to be your competition.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
mgood, I appreciate that you clearly want to help your employers, in the endeavor of breeding. They've got time, while their puppies mature! BUT if they are truly interested, and this is a venture they care about, then THEY should be the ones doing the research. And if that is the case, then they will spend their time in a way that is worth it, instead of limiting it to whether or not YOU have the time to surf the internet.

I would be glad to help them and give them information that I have researched - for a consuting fee, or some pre-arranged way, to pay for my time that I have spent researching and learning. It is my pleasure to mentor others and maintain businesslike, professional relationships where we both benefit. But I can't see where you are actually helping them, or their reputation by trying to elicit information for their money-making ventures. Perhaps you are too young to see how it reflects badly on them, to go online and ask others to help them, with an inexpensive female dog, or for us to send you information because you don't have the time to find it yourself.

one thing you COULD do yourself is to go thru the 1000's of articles and threads here on this forum for LOTS of good information and resources. (has someone else already said that?)

Best wishes, to you, since I can tell you would have real joy in being around when or if your employer's female dog has puppies. :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Kudo's Maureen, I couldn't have said it better myself :) These people, IMHO, have no business breeding Labradoodles. Breeding these dogs takes years of research before you even think about jumping into the business and it doesn't sound to me like they have the gumption it takes and by no means do they have "the heart".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the inormation dixiedi. I must say though, I am very offended by the way that I am being recieved on this post. You make it sound like we are just money grubbing, uneducated, "not-good-enough-for-your-breed" kind of people. The reason they were wanting to do this was to make this type of dog available to the average family, not just the "well-off" upperclass. These dogs are WAY OVER PRICED!!! Its a glorified mutt for heavens sake and people should not be charging in upwards of $1000 for a pup. These people are an average family who happened to be able to get ahold of some pups relatively inexpensive and want to make them available for people like them as well. They are not in it for just the money. They will not be charging the astronomical amounts that most others are charging either. And they certainly are not the type of people to falsely advertise their pups as "non-shedders" when they aren't really. The reason that I am on here helping them is because I have access to the internet at my home and they don't right now due to computer problems. And I have the internet savvy to be able to find information faster. I guess I was wrong to come on here and ask anything of the people on here as you are obviously "above" me and my employers. This will be my last post, since I wouldn't want to "elicit" anymore information from anyone. For your information, I have done research on my own but nothing beats hands on knowledge and experience. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
guess what?

I health test, I researched first, and I offer a fabulous guarantee.
Oh yeah, I also sell at prices that make labradoodles affordable to everyone.

So if you feel put out by SEVERAL breeders answering your questions in a public forum as honest and has forthright as possible and ALL offering to help and share their wisdom with you then you are the one with the thin skin here and you would do well to think before you type.

Are you on a fishing trip or are you truly looking for people to help?

And because that was your last post you don't have to answer.

Its unfortunate that you behaved the way you did in your last post.
In fact I would go as far as to say some of your statements are inexcusable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hate to point out the oviouse but

there are already thousands of puppies available at an affordable price in local shelters. Also most breeders of F1's dont get $1000.00 and up for their puppies. I see breeders who have their puppies available for $300 to $400.

The puppies you see that are priced higher are generally Australian Labradoodles which are not the same as the F1's that you will be producing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kim, I think you will find if you only visit

the shelters in major cities you will find that they have anywhere from 2-4 Labradoodle puppies listed; given that there are 2 major cities for every state you have 200-400. If you expand your search out to smaller cities and towns you will find they too have 2 Labradoodle puppies listed, with about 4 per state you have an additional 400 puppies. You will also find it common for shelters to take in entire litters of 8 to 10 puppies. I have seen shelters that have 20-50 Labradoodles at any given time. These numbers are taken from a small snip it of time and over a year are much larger. Go to Puppy Find and look at all of the puppies listed.

My point to this wanna be breeder is that if their goal is to breed affordable puppies, they are already out there. I know in MI alone there are 10 breeders who do not health test! That is a lot of ill breed puppies for one state. Why add to numbers?

Purpose breed dogs are becoming hard to find. There are several valid reasons for breeding but to breed just to provide cheap puppies is not one that I admire or would strive for recognition for.

Many breeders are willing to mentor new breeders to help them gain the knowlege but I would expect the new breeder to also come to the table with some knowledge, having done research on the dog they wish to breed and an open mind.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I totally agree with the point you are trying to make, but, I would just caution against exaggerations to make the point. There is a person on here involved with poodle mix rescue that usually posts when there is a LD at a shelter, and there have not been anywhere near thousands. There have also been people on here looking for a second LD from a shelter and finding it very hard to find one. You may be entirely correct, I was just wondering what the statistics were. I hope no offense is taken. :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dedicated Breeders

mgood02, if you are still reading, I do hope that you will take to heart the good advice offered by a number of dedicated breeders on this site. Should you read a representative sampling of posts, you will find this group to be very welcoming to anyone who has a sincere interest in the breed.

I can personally attest to having been welcomed here with open arms in the course of the research that led to my decision to become a breeder, and am forever grateful to a wonderful group of people. In that light, I am saddened to see you taking pot shots at folks who only want the best for you, your employers and any future puppies.

I think that there were several things in your posts that seemed, whether you intended it or not, to project a "puppy mill" logic, and led to a more cautious approach on the part of more experienced hands. Hopefully, you will use your computer literacy to print out for your empoyers a number of threads here that address the concept of responsibility in dog breeding.

Here is an interesting site on whelping costs to which I was referred during my research. It is all good information.

http://westwoodlabradoodles.com/whelpingcosts.html

Good luck, and may your journey lead to a new outlook on the breeding industry and the responsibilities that it entails.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts