Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
What does "Yes, I have vet on Long Island" have to do with type of labradoodle?

It's like, "Can anyone recommend a good proctologist?, and are you Italian or Russian?"

Sorry, I don't understand the question...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking for a vet

so many readers seem to reply just for the heck of it or are very critical because they don't like the question.. If you don't have the answer or it's not practical, why bother replying? Since I'm looking to buy an Australian doodle, I would like to find a vet in my area who is experienced with the breed. If I can't find one that is, I would consider one that is experienced with an American doodle. Evidently, there are some differences (i.e. the Aust. doodles often come desexed already while the others are not, etc, etc.).

·
Registered
985 Posts
My vet in southern NJ wouldn't help you, and I do understand your question, but I don't think a good vet would need to be familiar with Australian vs. other sorts of labradoodles. We did a lot of vet shopping with our dogs before we settled on one that we liked. It was similar to our experience with pediatricians. One was rude to the parents and very concerned and kind with the child, and another was much more interested in interacting with the parent and treated the child like a piece of meat. We went with the first one and dealt with the rudeness because it was a better experience for the child. With vets, we had one who didn't seem to care about dogs much and another whose judgment seemed questionable at times. We finally found a vet whom we liked but he's not perfect, either. I think he's familiar with labradoodles but I had to tell them to write "Labradoodle" on Chouette's card instead of "Lab Mix."

Where are you in LI? I was born in Huntington.

Have you found any breeders who look good? And have you checked out Hope Woods in NJ?

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I think i'd be more concnerned on having a vet that is good, caring, and already has labradoodles of ANY kind .

really does ANYONE know of a vet that would treat a aussie doodle versus american doodle ---
that's like asking for a vet that treats american jack russell terriers versus UK russell terriers.

or would that be like having a pediatrican that treats kids according to temperament and nationality? hahahaaaaaaa

I guess i am in a ' doodling" mood right now

Conclusion: a GOOD vet wth experience of this type of canine is important as my 1st vet didn't have a clue
Current vet: has labradoodles in their practice and experience with them.
However, Peanut is their 1st goldendoodle so this is a new experience since she is different in some ways from labradoodles like max.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts