Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I don't know if you remember when we were thinking about getting Lincoln or not. He was the beautiful black doodle. When we visited him he was much bigger than we thought and was too big and rough for our new puppy. He was also a fence-jumper and we have a deck on a high elevation we were worried about. So..we decided to wait on getting a second doodle.

We think the time has come to get Cody a buddy. He's 48lbs so he should be able to hold his own. We would like to get a girl but wouldn't rule out another male. We don't really want to go through house training again so we're looking for a re-home dood. I've been checking the re-home sites but if any of you know of a dood availiable let me know. We're in northern Arkansas but would drive a while to get a dood. We regularly go to Memphis, Atlanta and Dallas/Tyler. If you hear anything let me know!

Angela

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good work Shannon. You are an Angel! There is one LD in N. Miami Beach, Smoky , that does not have a picture. I am going to find out about him. I may know someone who would love a labradoodle! It is a great site. Maybe you could post it on the "considering a Labradoodle?" section of this site, since there are people who would prefer a re-home. There are some great looking dogs there and maybe it will keep people who are looking for a bargain away from the unscrupulous pet stores that buy from puppy mills.

Although there is a famous, or rather infamous, "breeder" (I use the term loosley in reference to this person) in Miami that sells teacup toy breeds at top dollar to celebrities and other unsuspecting members of the public. These poor little dogs are from very questionable backgrounds and many have ended up sick. A friend of mine spent over $3,000 on her brand new Yorkie from this breeder before having to put it down. There was a story done about it in the local news so hopefully the public will know and not be too swayed by the giant billboards the breeder has put up on I-95. I think there is legal action being taken also because of the high profile of some of the people involved.

I'm rambling but I get wound up with this topic.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wow, I had no idea about that breeder selling pups for that price. I may have seen something about that on a tv show once, now that I think about it!

There are a lot of people looking for rehomes, so I will post the site there. I am going to email the shelter about smoky and see if we can't get a picture on the site. I think that sometimes helps a lot to get them in homes. A picture can make a huge difference.

I feel so bad some days when I take away 5 that have been adopted, but I have to add more than I take off. Those days make me a bit sad, but like this past weekend, quite a few got taken off and only 2 added, so it was a good weekend. I will post that site on the considering a labradoodle section.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The thing about this it is for so many different reason, you get people that impulse buy and they get the puppy home and realize they are a lot of work and can be expensive with vet bills and things. Then you have people who buy a puppy and don't even try to train it to live in their world and the puppy grows up and turns into a full size dog and is wild because of the lack of training. Then we have people who buy because right now they are popular. I do think that is why as breeders those of us here that are breeders and even buyers who know someone interested in getting a puppy is to try and educate as much as we can. I know most of us do this already but the way it looks is I guess we all need to work harder to help prevent some of these purchases.

I know as breeders that's what we do is sell dogs but we also don't want them ending up in a shelter or a home where they are not loved, the thought of any of my dogs being in a home where they are not loved would break my heart. :(

·
Registered
972 Posts
You are absolutely right on all acounts there. I have seen some that end up in shelters that breeders have turned in because they got too old. I feel bad for the puppies and all the dogs in shelters, but the doodles that end up there are in there because of all the reasons you have said.

It is very sad. Just good that they are getting adopted, and sometimes within hours.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Shannon, you must feel good about what you do...because you are taking the time and initive to make a difference. I know that it feels like a daunting task sometimes, especially when you see so many new dogs on the listings, but I have a theory. I believe that you are seeing more dogs NOT because there ARE more dogs without good homes, but because there is a place to advertise their plight!
I worked for our local animal shelter, doing what you are doing, taking pictures of dogs and putting them online. It was a wonderful job, even though it was sad...I got to interact with all of these terrific animals and show them some kindness and they all loved to see me come in.
In addition, you are making their situation public, so they can be helped. The saddest stories are those that are hidden away and no one is aware of them...like the little puppy in the pet store that we have all been discussing on another thread. If not for the kindness of one person, that puppy would be forgotten, perhaps even put to sleep.
I hope that by shining a light on the abandoned and forgotten dogs, we are able to help cure the problem.
Good work!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Okay, Jac, you have got to point that thread out to me. I have not seen it, but would love to read it. I really do feel good when they get adopted. I was following this one LD on there. He had no name. They just called him 08, how sad is that?? Anyway, i sent emails and called the shelter, and he has finally been adopted. I was so happy I wanted to cry. I do feel good that I can get them on the site quicker and people are noticing. Like the one you saw today; she said they are faxing an application out to someone today, so there is a possibilty he will go home soon. She is going to let me know as soon as he gets adopted.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Shannon!
Here is the thread I was talking about: http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1360

I am so proud of you! These dogs are so lovable and loving...I can't imagine them spending their days in a small kennel with no interaction or attention...it is just heartbreaking.

Please keep us posted! And keep those notices coming...maybe Mark can add a rehome string on this forum...that would be great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts