Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been coasting around the forums for the past few days, and I finally decided to join.

So I'm looking for a mini to medium sized labradoodle, that looks like a breed, as opposed to a lab with curly hair. I am beginning to be partial to Australian Labradoodles, but F1B's would work as well. Color also doesn't matter to much. But I am partial to apricot, cream, reds, and blacks, as well as the multi-colored ones, especially the white and one colored ones. And I am also looking for a female.

I've been talking to Jodi at Living Spring Labradoodles http://www.montanalabradoodles.com. So far, she's been really nice, and very helpful. But I'm also trying to get a feel for any other litters that are going to be available around then. As a college student, I am on somewhat limited funds, but my boyfriend is helping with the cost. We are unsure that we can afford the cost of an Australian Multi-gen, but that's not saying its out of the question. We did some math, and F1B's usually go for about $1500-1600 and with shipping and neutering, which isn't covered with Jodi's puppies' cost, it would be around the price of a California grown Australian.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Kristen
~misses unconditional doggy love~

*edit* by the way, the reason I want it in August is because that's when we'll be moving into our new large dog friendly apartment (although I think it would be cruel to put a dog larger than 50 lbs in an 1100 sq ft apartment, which is why we're looking for a smaller dog), and I'm only going to have two days of classes next semester, with a few commitments, while working around my boyfriend's schedule, on the other days. I want to have plenty of time around the new puppy to train it and give it all the love she deserves.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome!!`

Im in west va, you wouldnt have to ship we are within driving distance
I dont alter my pups ,i do not feel its safe for them to be altered early we do however require it to be done at 6mths old
we have litters planned for this summer
I highly recommend reserving a pup in advance
please visit our main site

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! But I'm going to be raising the puppy in Northern California. I could pick it up and fly it back with me? I'll take a look around your site, and get in touch with you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pups

Hi we are expecting our first litter in late May Pups would be ready around Late July early August. Here is a link to our website that is still a work in progress. Thanks Brenda
Dizneydooles.com

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, where are you moving to, in northern CA?
We are in northern CA, Willits, which is about an hour and a half north of Santa Rosa. We often drive to deliver puppies because we don't like to ship them either. We have puppies all over the state. We breed F1Bs.
I have a female just out of heat so if she became pregnant then the pups will be born in June, making them available in August.
These are the parents of our guide dog line...very smart, very loving dogs.
If I can help you, feel free to send a PM to me....click on the PM button below.
Best of luck in your move!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update after visiting doodles at the Doodle Romp.

So now my boyfriend and I are looking for doodles, both Lab and Golden, in the browns/ reds/ blacks/ and perhaps apricot creams- but I'm trying to push him towards the darker dogs- guess I've always been partial to the darker ones :lol:. We're definitely looking for doodles that will be around the 20-40lb mark. We know for sure we're looking for more of a fleece coat- either wavy or curly. And after much discussion with my mother, its been decided that I really can't get a puppy any earlier than August. In order to afford the price of the puppy, I MUST work full time. My mom, whose a teacher, I thought would be home but she's got to take a two week course for something right after the 4th of July. She also thinks it would be bad for the puppy to be shipped out to RI only to be shipped back to CA with me when I fly back in August. And I do agree with her, I hadn't given that much thought.

So, would anyone recommend any breeders with this newly specified information. And MaxandMe, where'd you get Peanut?

Thanks,
Kristen

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Size

20/40lb? just so you know NO breeder can guarantee size of a Doodle
Some will tell you anything to sell you a dog
if you are limited in size, ie size restrictions where you live i would not go with a doodle these are afterall hybrids, under 22" at the shoulder is what the doodle world considers a mini,, and weight avg from 30-50lbs (weight is really not a good judge ,fyi)

see our sizes page on our website it might help explain a bit more

I have a red/chocolate litters planned for this summer ,both labradoodle and goldendoodle if interested they will be mediums to standard ,with maybe a real mini in there god willing

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I said a weight range because I don't want a puppy from two standards, which could produce quite a big dog. The weight restriction is up to 75lbs, which should be plenty for a labradoodle, especially those mixed with mini poodles. That was more my point. Sorry about the confusion. We will have an 1100 sq foot apartment, which is why we're looking for a smaller dog, but we don't want a tiny dog that has the "tiny dog complex" or that we can lose on the floor. I understand the risks behind the hybrid, and I understand genetics enough that if both parents carry recessive "big" genes, then a puppy could be big. But what attracted us to the labradoodle is its allergy friendly coat, and its ability to be a smaller, less bulky dog, compared to the Labrador, although I understand that its not a guarantee.

We saw big labradoodles yesterday, and I think they wouldn't be comfortable living in our apartment. So we're hoping for medium dogs, or even mini dogs.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
dangers of using

artifical insemination while trying to maintain smaller size is quite a bit
not to mention that isnt going to always produce smaller either

whatever you feel comfortable with

our minis are f1b labradoodles bred down in size we dont artifical inseminate to obtain or smaller size,,,they are more consistant in their look size etc
good luck in your search

Doodles are very adaptable, Bocker lives in a apt and he does great
http://www.bocker.tv

they just want to please you,, they are the best dogs i have ever owned

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you guys think about a year health warranty on goldendoodles? My uncle has had three labs, and my aunt has a lab as well, and all of them have had hip problems, well I'm not sure about one of my uncle's labs, but I know two of them did. So I'm very cautious in that sense. I know labs aren't the same as goldens, but they both have the same severe hip problem...

The breeder is breeding F1 goldens, that look absolutely beautiful, but I'm very leary about the warranty. She said she's never had problems, but might that be, because of how short her warranty is, the owners don't report it to her because it wouldn't matter?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I would keep looking. Any reputable breeder will give at least a 2 year health guarantee. Did you ask if she had done any health testing on her breeding dogs?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
no way on a one year warranty - minimum 24 months is the standard, a one year wont even put you into the OFA testing time frame. Also make sure your warranty starts when you receive the puppy so it goes past the pups two year birthday. and while I am at it, :) I would make sure it offers money back and doesnt make you return your dog. Parents health tested is a must.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Here are some things to think about for a first time Doodle owner or pup owner.

Have you considered waiting until you get moved to California to get a puppy, there seem to be alot of breeders in CA you can check out and maybe drive to get your furbaby instead of having to fly it - travel can be stressful on pups especially flying

- maybe you would want to get moved in to your apartment and get settled in so you can bring your pup into a settled environement instead of the stress of moving. -

Do you have your apartment picked out - do they definitely accept dogs over 50 pounds - doodles do get over 50 pnds - Annabelle is around 55-56 pounds - one of her brother was 65 pnds, so you can't gaurantee size. If they have a 50 pnd limit and your furbaby turns out to weight 65 pounds, are you willing to pack up an move and fine a place that will allow a larger dog?

Have you checked their lease out - what happens if you have a barker, will you have to move or get rid of the dog - more to think about when you are renting than if you own, do they have a specified dog walk area, do they require pet owners pick up after their animals? if not, do you and your dog wanna be walking and playing dodging puppy poo? Responsible pet owners should pick up after their pups but some just dont

Also when we were looking for our doodle, there were many breeders that require you have a fenced in yard for your doodle which wasnt an issue for us as we own and have a fence yard, wouldnt sell to apartment livers - Doodles like and need exercise

Sounds like this is your first time buying a dog, you had mentioned cost was a factor - remember the other expenses - yearly vet visit for shots for a healthy dog, but you still have to buy heartworm preventative medicine monthly, and flea/tick preventative monthly - cost to have your puppy spayed and then other incidental vet bills if your puppy gets hurt or sick.

There is also the cost of grooming, if you end up with a gen that doesnt shed and hair grows - they need grooming every 4-8 weeks depending on how short you want to keep them. Grooming can run $40.-$75 each time, average about $40-60 a month depending on how often you groom

You can groom yourself, but you have to buy the clippers, several different size blades, blade cleaner and be prepared to spend several hours grooming your doodle.

You need to have a good quality comb and brush for doodles are they can get matted easily I brush Annabelle everyday or every 2nd day to keep the matts out

You had said you wanted a non shedder and I dont think breeders can quarantee that so you could end up bascially with a Lab, which are awesome dogs but doo shed !

If you are gonna crate train them when you are not home - you have to buy the kennel 0 one the will accomodate their adult size, they need to be able to stand up and turn aournd in kennel - if you dont plan on crating , plan on yoru puppy eating things you dont want eaten LOL they do not have discriminating taste when it comes to chewing

I've seen very responsible dog owners in apartments and you have to be very considerate of your neighbors, but I've also seen those who let their dogs bark all day or all nite - I'm not saying you would do , just that you could end up living next to someone like that which could start yoru dog barking

So much to think abo0ut when you are getting a dog, but especially ifyou will be living in an apartment or rental, you arent as free as if you own your own home

Just some things to think about - I wish you luck in finding a furbaby to fit into your home.

Are you deadset on a puppy - you could also look for a rescue doodle, most have already been potty trained and need a loving home - you can go to www.petfinders.org type in standard poodle you zip where you will be living and it will bring up all SP's and sP mixes, might find an already trained pup which could be a good thing in an apartment

Happy Puppy finding !

Also their hair gets dirtier than a furdog so can get oily and need bathing more frequent than a Lab might

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually just chose a puppy tonight! The previously posted "Gangster Doodle" from Holly at Four Paw Doodles.

We have a 1240 sq ft apartment- 2 bed 2 bath, that's just for the BF, me, and our new addition. Our apartment allows for dogs up to 75 lbs. We're getting a medium sized Australian Multi-gen, so it shouldn't get that big... but the apartment complex also looked like it was flexible with the weight- more like a rule in case a dog gets unruly they have a rule to kick it out.

We're also getting the apartment Friday--- summer has just flown by!-- so my boyfriend is moving most of our stuff in this weekend, so hopefully when I arrive- with the puppy soon afterwards- most should be moved in.

We also found out that there's a walking path right behind our apartment complex that leads over to the local dog park. That was an exciting discovery!

Thanks for the ideas about what to remember when considering price! I think I budgeted for it all--- now I just have to stick to that budget which is hard now that I'm actually getting a puppy!

The countdown can officially begin!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
that is such great news Kristen!!!! i can't wait to see puppy pics soon!! :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts