Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, how are you? I am wondering if someone knows a good recommend to find a labradoodle in NJ, near NYC or in PA. I would like to have some good advices of where I should go look for one. Thank you so much. Have a great day :D

Andrea

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi AndreaEve, welcome! (I love your signature line, by the way. :D )

I don't have knowledge of a specific breeder in your area, but I know that there are many resources that list reputable breeders: www.ilainc.com, http://www.goldendoodle-labradoodle.org/ are a couple...

The most important factor is to select a GOOD breeder, so check carefully into some important factors; health testing of parents, socialization of the pups, vet checkups (and certificates of health), support after you get the puppy, references, and health warranties.

One thing you might want to consider is that you limit yourself quite a bit when you stay in your area...many of us (myself included) have purchased puppies from breeders out of state and shipped our puppies to our home...it is a good option and flying a puppy is pretty much as easy on them as a long drive would be.

We will be happy to help with more answers, if you'd like to contact any of us and I hope that you'll let us know once you get your puppy!

Also, you might want to check the archives of this forum...there is a lot of great information about looking for new puppies!

This is a fun part of your life, you have made a good decision...now if you do your homework, you will be rewarded with one of the best pets ever!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi and welcome....email me and I'll tell you of those I know of, too.... hope you get lots of feedback on those around you!

oh, I have one question: what kind of doodle are you looking for? Australian? No.American? what generation? these will affect who you want to work with.

In addition to Nancy - she's not far from the Gettysburg area of PA - one of the original No.Am. Labradoodle breeders lives in the York PA area. :D

hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome AndreaEve :) This site is a great place to find a breeder in your area. Just go to the Labradoodle Breeder Directory and type in the state you are wanting to find a breeder in and "voila" :wink:

Ask questions, get references and Good Luck :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, I know it's a limit to find a puppy. I wasn't sure how puppy would feel being on the plane and their reaction. I was more than happy to do the driving if it was necasially. And also I would like to meet the pup in person before I do think about buying it because I wasn't sure also how the pup would react to me, whetever she or he would feel comfortable with me. How would that work though? Thank you for an advice about what the most important factors to find a good breeder. I def will check out the one from PA and in Atlantic City. I def will keep you posts even when I get my puppy. It's always fun to see how he or she grow into a wonderful dog.
Im glad you like the quote. They are full of our angels which I believe because they knows when you need a wonderful cheerup. Even with a bad day.
Andi

quote="Jac"]Hi AndreaEve, welcome! (I love your signature line, by the way. :D )

I don't have knowledge of a specific breeder in your area, but I know that there are many resources that list reputable breeders: www.ilainc.com, http://www.goldendoodle-labradoodle.org/ are a couple...

The most important factor is to select a GOOD breeder, so check carefully into some important factors; health testing of parents, socialization of the pups, vet checkups (and certificates of health), support after you get the puppy, references, and health warranties.

One thing you might want to consider is that you limit yourself quite a bit when you stay in your area...many of us (myself included) have purchased puppies from breeders out of state and shipped our puppies to our home...it is a good option and flying a puppy is pretty much as easy on them as a long drive would be.

We will be happy to help with more answers, if you'd like to contact any of us and I hope that you'll let us know once you get your puppy!

Also, you might want to check the archives of this forum...there is a lot of great information about looking for new puppies!

This is a fun part of your life, you have made a good decision...now if you do your homework, you will be rewarded with one of the best pets ever![/quote]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

lauren46 said:
Good Luck finding a breeder. If I come across any I will be sure to let you know!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Hi There

Thank you for the website. I will check it out. Maybe I can take a day trip to visit.

Doodlesville said:
and welcome,,I am in West Va ,,only about 4hrs from NY we have pups available our site info is below

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking for which-ever is available and a dog that wouldn't shed alot. I have a family friend who is allergic to dog's hair that shed alot, dander and salvia. So I wanted to make sure that it's a right kind of dog that w ould not affect my family friend to visit.

Maureen said:
hi and welcome....email me and I'll tell you of those I know of, too.... hope you get lots of feedback on those around you!

oh, I have one question: what kind of doodle are you looking for? Australian? No.American? what generation? these will affect who you want to work with.

In addition to Nancy - she's not far from the Gettysburg area of PA - one of the original No.Am. Labradoodle breeders lives in the York PA area. :D

hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can try that, thanks.

dixiedi said:
Welcome AndreaEve :) This site is a great place to find a breeder in your area. Just go to the Labradoodle Breeder Directory and type in the state you are wanting to find a breeder in and "voila" :wink:

Ask questions, get references and Good Luck :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi again, AndreaEve, you are doing such a great job in researching your prospects...I commend you for that work...it isn't easy!

When you mentioned what you are looking for, I thought I should mention that because your friend has allergies to dander and saliva, the coat of a Labradoodle may not be enough to prevent allergic reactions. Many things cause allergies, so you are wise to want to meet the puppy first. It would be best if the allergic friend could be around him/her too.

My husband is very allergic to animals so when our breeder introduced us to our Labradoodles, she had us stay in a hotel room (we spent the night and he had no allergies that night so the room was good...) and she gave the puppies a bath in unscented shampoo...and brought them to us for a snuggle...(it was a tough job... :wink: )

Well, he had no negative reaction to them and we bought them both! Allergies can develop over time too...but we have been lucky.

Also, due to the shedding, you might want to find at least an F1B (still being careful that they don't shed much...most puppies WILL shed during their first year and all will blow their puppy coats so, you almost have to wait until that is overwith to know for sure if your dog will shed as an adult.)

About the dog being okay on the flight and meeting you...if you select a breeder that you trust, they will help you select a puppy based (not solely on looks, which most people make the mistake of doing) on the temperament and friendliness of the puppy...and they will, if they have enough time before the flight, condition the puppy to the things they may face.

Our first two puppies came from southern CA and we drove for 6 hours to pick them up...one was very car sick on the ride home...very car sick...poor thing. She hates cars to this day. The other two dogs that we have bought had long flights. One from Canada and one from the eastern part of the US...when they arrived, they were so loving and happy to see us! They licked our faces, and wagged their tails and never, ever had a bad day with us.

So, from my personal experience...if you select a good breeder who will help you and work with you...and they select good transportation, you will do well by your puppy.

Also, Linda and Di from this forum use a ground transportation company that they highly recommend.

Just tossing out alternatives for you to consider! :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
In reguards to rehomes

keep in mind that they are being rehomed for a reason,,you never know what that reason is,,if there is children in the house it could prove to be a major problem!!!

Not to mention that petfinder more often then not they arent really doodles they tend to say they are just to take advantage of the Doodle craze to get the dogs placed,,

IMHO, purchasing from a breeder is the best anyway you look at it,, In fact i have some pups drastically reduced rite now because of so many of my girls coming in heat way off cycle,,there are a few breeders that have reduced pups rite now,,at least this way you would have a breeder you can rely on for help in the future,, :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is very true...and I whole-heartedly agree that rehoming a dog is one of the kindest and most wonderful things you can do...but there is a drawback; you don't know anything about the genetics or health of the dog and if that is important to you, it is one of the things to factor in.
I would never discourage someone from a rehome...but I will always caution them that these dogs are sometimes abused and come with a variety of health and temperament issues.
As far as being cheaper...perhaps initially...but if you get a dog that has health issues, you could pay for a "breeder dog" many times over by the time you pay for medical treatment. (And a "breeder dog" should have a warranty that if the dog does develop certain diseases, as they may well do, the breeder will refund the money you paid and/or replace the puppy.)
So, "cheaper" is definately a subjective issue. :wink:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Jac!!!

So VERY Well said,,thank you

I just got the most heartbreaking call about a family that adopted a pup from one of these ads,,got it home in a few days it got sick lots of tears and heartbreak the family is out close to 2000.00 and cant safely bring another pup in the house for a long time to come,,

Im one of those that do NOT recommend rehomes ,Although it seems like a worthy cause,,I cant promote it for the reasons you mentioned and Now even moreso since this last tidbit of info i got,,i feel so horrible for that family !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi there,

You had a pretty good advice about having a family friend along to see how he react to any puppy. It's not easy to find something that you wouldn't be allergy to. It's a miracle if you do :D Both of your husband and you must be so thrilled when you found a Labradoodle that he had no reaction to. Most F1B, F2 and Multi-Gen are much lower shed than F1s. I learned that through ebook by Edie. You're right, the look of puppies arent important, the most important is how they act with others, their personality and so on. It was sweet of the breeder to let you guys to cuddle and to test to see how it was. :D I am so looking forward to watch my puppy grow. When he or she grow. It's probably a good start to learn how because it's like raising a baby child. But their personalities are so different and it amazes you. It's also full of surprises.

Thanks, Andi

Jac said:
Hi again, AndreaEve, you are doing such a great job in researching your prospects...I commend you for that work...it isn't easy!

When you mentioned what you are looking for, I thought I should mention that because your friend has allergies to dander and saliva, the coat of a Labradoodle may not be enough to prevent allergic reactions. Many things cause allergies, so you are wise to want to meet the puppy first. It would be best if the allergic friend could be around him/her too.

My husband is very allergic to animals so when our breeder introduced us to our Labradoodles, she had us stay in a hotel room (we spent the night and he had no allergies that night so the room was good...) and she gave the puppies a bath in unscented shampoo...and brought them to us for a snuggle...(it was a tough job... :wink: )

Well, he had no negative reaction to them and we bought them both! Allergies can develop over time too...but we have been lucky.

Also, due to the shedding, you might want to find at least an F1B (still being careful that they don't shed much...most puppies WILL shed during their first year and all will blow their puppy coats so, you almost have to wait until that is overwith to know for sure if your dog will shed as an adult.)

About the dog being okay on the flight and meeting you...if you select a breeder that you trust, they will help you select a puppy based (not solely on looks, which most people make the mistake of doing) on the temperament and friendliness of the puppy...and they will, if they have enough time before the flight, condition the puppy to the things they may face.

Our first two puppies came from southern CA and we drove for 6 hours to pick them up...one was very car sick on the ride home...very car sick...poor thing. She hates cars to this day. The other two dogs that we have bought had long flights. One from Canada and one from the eastern part of the US...when they arrived, they were so loving and happy to see us! They licked our faces, and wagged their tails and never, ever had a bad day with us.

So, from my personal experience...if you select a good breeder who will help you and work with you...and they select good transportation, you will do well by your puppy.

Also, Linda and Di from this forum use a ground transportation company that they highly recommend.

Just tossing out alternatives for you to consider! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Jac!!!

Wow, that is horrible about rehomes. I mean, you never know where the puppy come from. It's always the safest idea to find a good breeder. And a breeder that has all of informations. It's horrible feeling to see a puppy suffer when their preview owner has no clue how to take care of it. It sucks Thank you for warning, I appericate it. I was looking through on your websites. You had a lot of adorable puppies. I am very curious, how do they look full grown? Do they scratch floors? I read somewhere that you can get this thing from www.petedge.com. You can put it on your dog/pup's nails. It helps prevent scratches on the hard wood floor. :eek:

Andi

Doodlesville said:
So VERY Well said,,thank you

I just got the most heartbreaking call about a family that adopted a pup from one of these ads,,got it home in a few days it got sick lots of tears and heartbreak the family is out close to 2000.00 and cant safely bring another pup in the house for a long time to come,,

Im one of those that do NOT recommend rehomes ,Although it seems like a worthy cause,,I cant promote it for the reasons you mentioned and Now even moreso since this last tidbit of info i got,,i feel so horrible for that family !!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha Andi...you are so cute...I am reading these posts and your replies and I get a visual of you being pulled in several directions at once...we have your arms and legs and each of us telling you something different! And what do you do??? You remain gracious and kind and open minded.
I like you! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts