Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to ths site and we would like to find a labradoodle breeder in the VA area - perferable Northern VA - but will travel a few hours if need be. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G

·
I got my "dood" from Nancy at Doodlesville and I couldn't be happier!! Nancy was very patient with me as I bombarded her with e-mails and questions prior to picking up Boyd. We picked the little guy up on July 26th and Nancy and I are in touch on a weekly basis. You can tell the love and dedication they have put into their dogs. In fact, we are going to take Boyd for a visit sometime soon. :D

I live in Fairfax Station, VA and it's a beautiful drive to West Virginia.

visit: http://BoydMagruder.shutterfly.com to see pics of Boyd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help! We are still looking at all the breeders listed as well as options!

Appreciate the guidance.

Keita

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Keita,
The breeders listed are good...and I am sure you will find the right one for you...but I wouldn't rule out shipping...I personally don't ship my pups, but many good breeders do.
I have bought 2 puppies from long distances and they arrived (via airline) in great condition! (One came to us from Canada and the other from Louisianna, and we live in California!)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I agree with you Jac.
I have and do ship puppies. I understand wanting to see, touch and interact wtih your future puppy, but I assure you there ARE trustworthy breeders (like me! :wink: ) who can get a sense of what you are looking for in a puppy, in color, coat and personality.

I have also purchased an adult dog who was shipped to me, and a puppy who was shipped. The puppy was completely unaffected by the plane ride and experience, but the adult dog was upset for a while.

This is not so much of a plug for myself but to agree that shipping CAN be a fine option. :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
along the same lines as maureen, I ship and have heard nothing but praise from the puppy parents on the other end, and I have recently purchased a 5 month old who I picked up at the airport and he was fine!

there are good breeders that strive to match you with THE right puppy for you and your family. breeders like maureen (and me(shameless I know ;))) and the others that have spoken up really care to place correctly and most have a lifetime rehome policy so you see we wouldnt want to just throw any puppy at you in hopes of making a quick dollar. these pups are our lives and we back that in writing :)

plus some breeders have a no visit policy so you could be living next to an incredible breeder that tests and has an awesome guarantee and you will get to see your pup by pics until its time. just another confusing thought for you :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
k,,NOW im confused

What is your point on the NO visits policy?

I think that any breeder that allows visits and interactions with their pups before ALL vaccines are completed is not being very responsible,,
I guess my 20+yrs of experience and seeing pups suffer and DIE from parvo brought in by people outside of the home puts a tremendous RED Flag waving if breeders allow visits

and as far as that goes,,just so you know i have a 2+yr gurantee,,references dating back 5yrs and AWSOME puppies :) :eek:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Whether a breeder allows visits or not is entirely up to the breeder and I don't think you should judge a breeder by whether they welcome visitors or not. I am not going to slam a breeder that does not allow visitors and I don't slam breeders that do. It is a breeder's choice! Just because you don't welcome visitors doesn't mean that every breeder that allows visitors is irresponsible.

I, for one, welcome visitors and I take precautions. I feel that if someone is going to spend the money for a Labradoodle they have the right to see where the pup is coming from. This is MY opinion and I don't expect you to agree but don't say I'm irresponsible because I do it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
From a non-breeder standpoint, I would like to say that I would not consider a pup that I could not see in person. There are so many people out there trying to make a quick buck, and they all sound good on paper, but I was advised to visit the homes and meet the parents and see the living conditions of the pups before I bought one. I think that was good advice. ON THE OTHER HAND, I understand not wanting to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry into your home when the babies are very young. Leslie

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Allowing Visits

is just asking for germs to be brought in on their clothes and shoes,,it only takes one germ

and i certainly wont take one chance with my pups, if i ever got parvo here i would just close the doors,there is no way to get rid of it

I make my decisions based on over 20yrs of experience as a vet tech,groomer and showing dogs ,,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: k,,NOW im confused

Doodlesville said:
What is your point on the NO visits policy?
omigosh I am so sorry you are offended by my comment...... I truly had no idea you had a no visit policy nor was I tryng to insinuate anything by my comments I promise. I was trying the opposite actually to assure her that its ok to buy a puppy from afar as well as from nearby because chances are if you have a nearby breeder that is reputable you may not be able to see the pups in person anyway so why not consider a long distance breeder as well. sorry if I hurt your feelings, perhaps I worded my post wrong, but it is my experience that some reputable breeders allow visitors and some dont and I was sharing that information. :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks Movistar

that was nice of you to apologize , I probably did take offense to your comment,,ty again that was thoughtful of you

·
Registered
15 Posts
As in any business each business owner must way pro's and con's to every decision they make and daily rules they abide by. This area I see is no different for breeders. Some do allow visits, some do not. From the customers (buyers) point of view it can go either way as well. Some are comfortable speaking with a breeder and developing a comfortable relationship, checking referrals, looking at pictures and making their purchase. On the other hand others must have much more. They want to not only do all that but also want to check out the facility, the breeding stock, living conditions, daily routines, and above all else check out their new pup, and get a puppy fix to last them until he or she comes home. While there are plenty of both worlds, I personally am more of the second type and must have more. I just do not make big live changing decisions that are also big ticket purchase items without ALL OF THE ABOVE. I could not imagine a parent going into a retirement community without checking it out first, buying a home, a new car or even new sweeper without checking it out first. I know a puppy is not the same as a sweeper but you get what I mean, it is much more important. People work in nuclear power plants safely each day because they take precautions. Work in chronic care wards in Hospitals but take precautions. Even work in your local vet clinic, but take precautions. Do you know how many dogs go to your local vets office and are being treated for parvo? No, we do not but usually do not ask because we know the vet takes precautions.... In today's world I think it is a buyers market, I can truly say that I could get a pup from almost anyone here and fall in love with it so if I were to buy today it would be from someone who allowed me to visit and did everything I asked them for. If I ask to visit and I am allowed to, it is the breeders responsibility and duty to provide the precautions and rules that surround my visit. By all means coach me where not to go before coming, tell me where I need to park once I arrive, tell me I must wear booties over my shoes and wash my arms and hands many times... I would be more than happy to do all of these items and by you doing this I will for sure know how responsible and caring you as a breeder are and reward you with my vote of confidence.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes well

unfortunately we cant disinfect every person that comes here its impossible
it is much safer for breeders to help in choices for the new families they spend weeks with the pups and know personality,,no one can get to know a pup in a few short minutes or know the personalities~
Most of us have references from people that have been at our homes and seen things so references should be available,,

Those that cant appreciate the protection that some breeders give are looking at the whole picture i suppose

you said!! People work in nuclear power plants safely each day because they take precautionsDo you realize the decomtamination that they go thru every day they work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
They don't decontaminate unless there is a need to. I actualy have an Uncle that retired from working in a nuclear plant. He always says it's safer then Walmart. (not sure I believe that).

Again, some choose to allow visits, some choose to have reasons to not allow visits. Both are respected and are ok, very possible and can be done safley if the rules are followed. It's the buyers decision on what they require and/or need. It's the breeders decision on their requirements and rules.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts