Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for a reputable breeder in our area, southeastern Virginia. The closest one we have found is located near Greensboro, NC. We have looked at many websites located all over the country, but would not be able to visit those locations. Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning Julie and welcome to the forum.

I undersand your desire to visit the location and verify the care and cleanliness of the facility and to select your puppy...and while that is the ideal situation, I would like to say that many buyers select puppies from reputable breeders via the internet and have their pup shipped.

So, I would suggest that you take a look around your area, as you are wanting to do (and if you can visit Nancy, that would be great) but don't limit your selection simply because you are not able to visit many places. There are a lot of good breeders who ship puppies and they can help you select a great puppy to suit your needs.

Personally, I don't ship puppies but I have purchased 2 via the internet (for breeding, which means even more strict standards) and I could not have selected better dogs if I had bred them myself.

It is just so important to find a good breeder and if you are holding out for one in your area, you might be limiting yourself unnecessarilary. I just wanted to have you consider other opitions.

Whatever you decide to do, please let us know if you find your puppy! And...if you are near enough to Nancy, it would be really great if you could visit her kennel.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey Julie, welcome to this Doodle-friendly forum!
Youve gotten good tips from Nancy and Jac already but I have another idea: http://www.goldendoodle-labradoodle.org/ is a website listing breeders that have done careful testing of their breeding stock to try and prevent as many genetic health issues as possible, given the various hybrids. I see there is one with her status "pending" in VA, with a (276) area code...is that the tidewater area's code now? oy, there used to just be 3 when I lived in No. VA!

There is a NO. VA Doodle association I think and they might be able to help you find breeders you can at least chat with, if you can't visit the grounds of the breeders' homes.

best wishes!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Julee, welcome :) I know of a fantastic breeder in Orange, Va. who does all the health testing. If you'd like more info on this breeder, please PM me below and I'd be happy to get you in touch with her.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
No Maureen, not the same breeder, she just breeds poodles I believe. Julee, if you e-mailed me today, I haven't been able to get any e-mails at all. I'm still not getting any and it is driving me nuts. They said I should be getting them by this evening but here it is 10:15 p.m. and still no e-mails :roll:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Dixiie

you really need to use like hotmail or yahoo to get your emails,,they are free and with my previous experience with server emails i just dont trust them anymore,, 8) i have great luck getting all my emails most all the time

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thanks Nancy, maybe I'll check into that. It's really been a big pain today and when you are in this business, you can't afford to miss any e-mails.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Exactly!!!

That happened to me several years ago and thats when i just threw up my hands and said no more,,got email from hotmail,,and i use that but mostly i use my yahoo account,,you can get your own name thru there also,,just a thought,,i know how ya feel though,,,ugghh,,,very frustrating

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can't live with out my gmail account (its from google). It saves every email and you can search which I can't even tell you how great that is. Say you had a girl inquire from chicago and you can't find her email, you search your emails for the word chicago and voila any email with that word in it pops up. You can star your conversations then press on star and only starred conversations come up. (I use this for my pending puppy list that way if my computer crashes I can retrieve it from any computer) You can group too, I group all puppy parents by litter so I can easily email them all to check on them and to request pictures!! Anyway its invitation only and totally free. You can email me or pm me and I would be happy to shoot an invitation to you. :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Let me chime in here and agree!

Server mail is dependent on you keeping your server forever! But Yahoo or Hotmail...or Google mail is available where you are and no matter what system you use.

I have three accounts in different places. I use Fastmail for my business mail (law related) because you can select your email address so that it sounds professional...not ending in a silly thing like Hotmail or Yahoo... 8)

Then I use Yahoo for all of my dog things and personal email and a hotmail account is used for every time I buy something over the internet...because I know that it will generate junk mail by the ton, and I don't want it flooding my "work" or personal email.

Still, if you have important emails, PRINT THEM and save them! I have had my Yahoo account attacked and you can't get things back when you shut it down...

Another good reason to have more than one is when you do have trouble with one, you can still contact people with the others.

G

·
I got Boyd from Nancy at Doodlesville and I couldn't be happier. We live in Fairfax Station, VA and it is a beautiful drive to West Virginia. Nancy and I keep in touch on a weekly basis and she has been such a fantastic help guiding me through Boyd's life stages and bratty moments! :lol:

Please visit http://BoydMagruder.shutterfly.com to see pics of my cutie pie!

·
Registered
4 Posts
PURCHASING PUPS

I Have been breeding Labs for 15 years and most recently Labradoodles! I have shipped pups and had people fly in and pick them up so they could ride in seats on the planes!! New owners have come and picked out thier pups ,then visited them weekly til they were old enough to leave,then the extreme..people call and tell me thier live situation(children,life styles...) and aske me to pick out a puppy to fit in.... so is there really a perfect way to pick out your new family member?? I check up on all my pups,and they all seem to work out about the same!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi KW...welcome...I do those same things, and I have found that it is easy to match a puppy to a family.
I would ship puppies if the people came to take the pup with them or if I was delivering the puppy. We have driven long distances to deliver and we often meet the people half way...so there are options. I just can't take a pup and give it to someone to place in the belly of a plane for hours ... I know that it is safe, and that the pups arrive in good condition (for the most part) but it would break my heart! I need to hand deliver the pup to its new owner or at least to someone who is going to take care of the pup throughout the delivery process.
It is so hard to let them go, even in the best of circumstances...I just have a hard time putting them on a plane alone. *sigh* (I'm a boob!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
shipping

dont worry...shipping pups is heartbreaking and nail biting procedure I agree! I would rather meet half way also...but when I go to the airport cargo terminal I actually sit next to the pup until he is loaded and call the new owners to make sure they are waiting for arrival! It only works during a few months of the year..wont ship winter or summer reguardless of what carriers allow! (large tips to the people working cargo along with coffee and donuts helps also!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts