Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long day. I know Dex has an ear infection so we planned to take him to the vet - we call the vet and they have no late appts till Fri so we had to take him a walk-in. We race out of work early to get there in time. We get home to find a poop mess - obviously Dex's system is screwed up. We race to the vet to get in before 5...After waiting over an hour Dex starts to whine so I take him outside...he has explosive diarrhea all over the sidewalk :shock:

We finally get in to see the vet...sure enough - he has an ear infection. In addition he is apparently full of gas and his GI system is obviously screwed up. I mention that he was limping at the park on Sunday so he checks his paw...Dex lets out the saddest whine ever. The vet doesn't think the toe is broken, but we have to "keep him calm and quiet" and return on Fri/Sat for a recheck and possible x-ray.

I am now working on cleaning the basement carpet...it's been a fun day.

G

·
Oh Leslie, that stinks big time! Hang in there and tomorrow has to be better than today! And here is one of my famous "it could have been worse" scenarios: We could have gotten that foot of snow they predicted and you would have had to do all that in a blizzard! :shock:
Get Well Soon Dex!!!

G

·
Dex....I hope you feel better soon!

Leslie that sucks. Hopefully the diahrrea is over and it will be an easy recovery for Dex.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!

I'm more worried about his toe at this point. The vet said if it's badly sprained, fractured or broken he will need a leg cast.

Within 5 min of us getting home they started doodle 500s through the house and wrestling so we had to put Dex on a leash...keeping 2 doodles quiet is impossible.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
(((((((((((Leslie)))))))) i feel for you and also Dexter
hope he recovers quickly!
Please keep us posted on how he's doing

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Wow! Dexter sure had one bad day! On the plus side, his toe must not be hurting too much or he would be doing the 500's. Let's hope for better poops! (Always a concern on this forum. :wink: )

Deb

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I hope tomorrow is a much better day for both of you!
It's so hard when they're not well and can't tell us what's really going on.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Leslie, what a rough day! You must be exhausted! Hope Dexter feels better soon! Cali sends woofs and licks!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oh Leslie, I am so sorry...what a crappy day (sorry it just seemed appropriate). Sending hugs to you and wishes to Dexter for a speed recovery of all three problems. I have never heard of a dog breaking a toe...sounds painful and hard to treat :(

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your well wishes. The vet warned us that the shot he gave him (to calm down his ears) would make him more thirsty and need to pee more - well he woke us up crying at 4:30 am to go out...hopefully that's a one time thing :)

I swear he now realizes we know his toe is sore because he's just started to limp a bit around the house and gives us a sad look...I think he's milking it :)

Anyway, it's going to be so tough - he just wants to run around and play with Kirby. We will probably wait and test the toe on Thurs/Fri to see if it's still so painful. Has anyone had a limb (for the doodle) x-rayed before? The vet said something about possibly having to sedate him (I may have heard it wrong - he said a lot of stuff).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I Know Max was sedated as a young puppy when we didnt' knwo the Reason for his facial swellling and pain and it was hard to get a good look.
he did fine but it really adds to the cost of the visit

are they xraying his foot? and perhaps they don't think he'd stay still enough? or he's also in alot of pain/

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are they xraying his foot? and perhaps they don't think he'd stay still enough? or he's also in alot of pain/
well the plan is to check his toe again later this week (after hopefully some rest - that's fun - keeping 2 active young doodles calm) to see if the pain has lessened...if it's still really painful he wants to x-ray it. I'm guessing he prob wouldn't stay still enough on the x-ray...i would hate to 1) pay for it and 2) put him under if it's not really necessary...dex is awefully squirmy though...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So how's he doing tonight? Is he limping? How does he react to you touching his foot? I hate to think of my favorite pink-nosed doodle in pain!

I sure hope the pooping is better!

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so we got home from work and there were no accidents (then again all he ate for the last 2 meals was rice). He was not amused in the least to have to skip playing with Kirby and go for a walk instead and he is even less amused by being on a leash in the house. He didn't appear to be limping during our walk, but I really only noticed the limp when he runs. I am going to hold off testing the pain in the toe for a few days so we can hopefully notice a big difference in the intensity of his cry (it was loud yesterday). Thanks everyone for asking.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Let's hope he just gets better each day and doesn't need anymore treatment. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to keep him quiet. :roll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts