Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many people here know, our Bella has long term health problems; mainly that she has no imune system in her tummy.

She doesn't travel well in cars, we'd like to go away for a week soon and take her with us but it involves a six hour drive.

Bella is more stable in her health than she's ever been but we're worried the long journey might be enough to trigger another episode,

Is their something we can give her for travel sickness? Maybe something herbal that won't trigger her sickness?

Or should we try doggie sleeping pills for the journey?

thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
motion sickness

Tanner gets serious motion sickness. We found Tasha's Herbs for Dogs - Ginger Tummy works wonders. We give her 1 ml (eye dropper full) in her mouth 30 minutes to an hour before she gets in the car. She still drools but no more throwing up. Maybe this could help Bella.

G

·
Our Bella would throw up when she was a tiny puppy. Then she progressed to just some major drooling. The most helpful thing we did (it even ended the drooling) was to put her in the front seat. She can see much better out the windows and for some reason it helped alot. This is not as safe as having her in the back seat though (airbags, etc), so it is a trade off.
So on long road trips, my hubby drives and Bella gets the best seat in the van while I get smooshed in the back with the children :roll: These spoiled little puppies! :lol:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Poor Bella! I've heard that ginger cookies are very helpful. But, I would also work with your vet. My last dog did not car sick--in fact loved to ride in the car--but when he sensed we were going to our vacation house (5 hour drive) he would start flipping out; literally just short of hyperventilating. All we could figure is we have about 4 cattle guards to cross before we get to our house and for some silly reason they scared him to death. Anybody experience anything like that? The anticipation of the cattle guards would cause him to freak out. :shock: Our vet prescribed tranquilizers. I initially started with the full dose. The tranquilizers calmed him to the point that the cattle guards didn't bother him. It took three years but I gradually weaned him off of the tranquilizers and he was just fine. A mild dose of tranquilizers might help Bella too.
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
There are herbal products that MAY help, I have tried many and for me, "Hylands Motion Sickness" pills work okay...they worked better at first, not so much now. However our dogs did outgrow the motion sickness stage...they still aren't crazy about travel but they do okay.
I agree with the others, however, that since Bella has health issues, your vet should be consulted.
They do have prescription travel sickness meds and it may be the best for Bella...but I'd try it out (anything I choose) before the long trip.
I have also found that the first part of a long trip is the worst...they soon get used to it and just go to sleep.
Letting her see out the front window is also a very good option. I have found this to work with my dogs. As with humans, if they can see out the front window, they tend to get less sick.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ok let me preface this by saying I am normally the organic non hydorgenated non refined sugar etc person, lol but we have given dramamine and benadryl both and have had varying degrees of success. also there is a fabulous tranquilizer called ace that I have used for certain situations. all of the above on advice and dosage from my vet. would be worth a call for a little pill in my humble opinion to avoid stress and another health issue

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyones experiances and advice, unfortunatly putting Bella in the front seat makes no difference. I'll have to go see the vet for a chat.

She's just been really sick after playing with the outside tap :(

It would be great to take her away again, last time she got so sick we spent most of the holiday in an emergency vets. she loves the beach and it would be great to have her with us

thanks for your thoughts again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Motion Sickness

As a avid boater & pilot I know that putting the person with queasy stomach behind the "wheel" or "stick" (with close supervision, ability to rest control back...ie instructor) work very well. Maybe letting Bella drive is the answer!

LOL, LOL, LOL

Jim

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahahaha!! I like that one Jim...perhaps I'll try it sometime. I have 5 dogs, they could take turns so that no one gets too fatigued!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hey guys when they get their drivers license let me know ok?
as maybe they can give my 17yr old some pointers?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might want to start taking short trips with Bella just around the block. Gradually work up to an hour. We have used tranquelizers on a choc. lab we had. She would just about shed all her fur off just going to the vet. As she got older she got better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have noticed with my Charlie that the only car he will ride in is my Yukon - like me he is a truck finatic - The seats have to be down though so he can lay right behind our seats to be close I guess - he doesnt want to ride in my husbands car and when he has to he drools and is very unhappy - Charlie so far because it is winter even goes to the grocery store in it but anything else throws him into a tizzy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts