Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possile to breed a toy poodle to a regular sized LD. would the tiny stud need any help getting up (no pun intended).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
its strongly recommended that you only breed down 4"

with that said I have seen people build platforms and such
though I completely agree with Lisa, many use artificial insemination

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I was at the vets today and they were telling me about a litter of puppies that came in last Friday. Ok, picture this, lab x dachsund (sp?) They said the Lab was sleeping and the dachsund just walked right up and did his thing (can you believe that?) :roll: Poor puppies will probably have so many problems and live a life of pure agony.

Anyway, yes it can be done but I believe it is usually done by AI. I don't recommend this mating however, movistar is correct in saying that a mating of 2 parents that have a height difference of over 4" is very risky. The pups are prone to all kinds of joint problems. It is best to downsize gradually.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I used to say a Labradoodle was a Lab/Poodle mix. EVERYONE would picture a Toy Poodle and get "that" look on their faces. I now specifically say "Standard Poodle".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am not a breeder, and I am certainly no expert, but I have done some reading on this, as I chose an F1 mini as our doodle. I wonder if anyone has visited "Kate's Family Pets"?

The breeder is a vet named Kate Shoeffel who breeds F1 minis by crossing male toy or minature Poodles to female Labradors. She has chosen to breed labradoodles to offer families her idea of the "ideal family pet".

As far as I can tell from what I have read online, she was one of the very first F1 breeders of minis.

I found her website quite interesting and informative. I would love it if of you would take a look, and let me know what you think.

http://www.family-pets.com/

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Maddie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Maddie,

You have a wonderful dog and it is exactly what you were looking for. There is really no reason to get into the semantics now.
You guys are a great home for your baby :) Enjoy her!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am not judging here...and I admit that I have not read the information regarding this type of breeding program, so I am certain that the breeders feel justified and perhaps are well informed...making a decision based on their information.
What concerns me is not the breeders who research, weigh the pros/cons and then make decisions, fully intending to support their decisions if they make a mistake in judgment...my concern is with those who jump onto the bandwagon without any thought to the physical realities of the mating. (...back yard breeding?)
I question making such a severe breeding decision. I worry about the long term health of the puppies. I know for a fact that there are problems with some Labradoodles already, regarding overbites...now, that is not a serious genetic fault, but I wonder if these issues are being considered. If the dog's teeth don't line up correctly, what other physical problems can they expect?
I simply don't know, as I have said, I have not done research on the matter...because it is not my intention to breed minis at this time...but when and if I do decide to breed minis, I know that I will not jepordize the health of my breeding stock nor my puppies to an extent that I would feel ashamed of my decision.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies. I would love to hear from any mini breeders that have hip test results on thier little offspringonce they grow up, but that data is probably hard to come by. I guess its best to avoid a sketchy situation untill proven safe. thanks for all your in put, i really value all of your expertise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts