Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the link!

“Ignoring bad behaviors such as jumping, chewing and aggression, thinking your dog will “grow out of it.” The longer your dog is allowed to continue inappropriate behavior, the more certain he will become that it is acceptable. Jumping, chewing and aggression are not stages of a dog’s development, but unacceptable behavior. Teach your dog that this is unwanted behavior by teaching him what to do instead“.

Does this apply to barking when guest enter into the house? Gunner barks in his kennel when people (strangers) enter our house. We have tired ignoring it, but I don't see any signs of it stopping. He does bark when our neighbors approach the back fence. He does seem to stop eventually, but we usually tell him "no" outside. Please tell me if you have experienced this and what worked for you.

I don’t want our barking doodle to get a bad reputation!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amanda,

I've heard pennies in a can and shaking it will help keeping them on a leash when you know people are coming so you can get the sides of his little (or big) like the lose skin and gentle shake it and look hime in the eyes and tell him no bark. I'm sure there are others so hopefully someone else will reply and one of them will work. Sometimes people who write articles aren't always right and I don't always agree with but one thing I've learned is sometimes what works for me might not work for you and that works both ways. :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good article. I agree with everything except the categorizing of prong collars as "Spanish inquisition methods." When used properly it is a valuable tool for walking your dog. Sawyer goes nuts when he hears the "klink" of the prongs and sits eager to have his collar put on. If it caused pain there would be some resistance.

Funny note: As I was reading, Sawyer was begining to chew on my chair, so I told him not to chew on my chair and to go get his toy and would you believe he went and got his giant rubber pacifier! Smart Dood!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with you! Prong collars have been a God-send to our family! Our dogs love to have them on because it means something fun is about to happen and they never try to misbehave with them on. Not because it hurts them, but because it gets their attention and they have learned to obey...now, if I could get that same good behavior without the collar! :wink:
Other than the prong collar comment, I loved the article too. Good info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts