Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my pup from the my friends house.. He stayed over for the holiday weekend..
I noticed a significant limp.. My friend said that he fell off the coach..
He does not look in pain, and I felt for anything broken.. Did not feel anything weird..
I'm worried.. Should i wait a couple of days and minimize activity.. If no improvement.. see vet?
Any advice would be much appreciated..
Thanks..

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
if you don't see or feel any swelling or hotness, your doodle isn't crying pain when you touch it, then perhaps LIMITING his walks/runs and observing him for a few days might be good.

if he doesn't improve then call the vet....most times unless its broken, they make you put your dog on rest from anywhere of 3 to 7 days.

i'd also ask your friends for a few more details just in case there's a tendon/ligament problem. I am NOT trying to worry your rather i've seen fractures and tendons injured that heal quickly with no long term effects.
Each time i had to keep the dog inactive. :wink:

keep us posted as these doodles are like our babies

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks..
He is still limping. but I do not think its as bad..
I will wait till Tuesday to see how is doing..
I have not been exercising him.. just quicks walks to eleminate.. He really misses the dog park..
I just hope thats i'm not making it worse by not going to the Vet..

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Sorry to hear he's still limping. Rest is probably the best. I would check with the vet just to make certain. These doods do have a high pain thresh hold!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am coming to this rather late, I am sorry...but I am one to disagree with the "wait and see" theroy. (Although it is probably not an emergency and you don't have to get to a vet over the weekend...)
If he is still limping, I would say to go the the vet.
It is true that they most likely would just examine him and have you put him on rest...but (I say this a lot, so forgive me, but it is very important) DOGS DO NOT LIMP OR SHOW SIGNS OF PAIN/WEAKNESS UNLESS IT IS TREMENDOUSLY PAINFUL.
In the wild, signs of weakness can make a dog prey to other animals so they hide their pain and will not openly show discomfort. If they are showing signs of pain, you can bet it is extreme.
Therefore, I believe a vet is the best option. Then, if the vet give you the advice to wait and see, fine...he/she will be able to better judge what is happening as your dog gets progressively worse, if that should happen. But if you wait and take him in only when it is worse, the vet will start with the "wait and see" and not know that the limping has already progressed.
If it is due to a fall, your dog could have a cracked bone, or it could have hurt his joints, any number of things.
Personally, I probably pay my vet far too much money because I go in right away...but I have had my dogs go about their lives like nothing is wrong and days later have discovered something that must have been causing them great pain.
Whatever you decide to do is okay...I just felt that I should chime in and give you another point of view (the point of view from a panic-driven doodle mom... :oops: )

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Absolutley go to the vet do not wait...........
They hide their pain quite well........
Good wishes for a speedy recovery coming your way. :wink:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Abbey has had several bouts with limping. Usually after strenuous play. She seemed stiff when getting up after a nap. When we talked to the vet she said rest your doodle for 7 days. They also gave us sample pain medication. But Abbey didn't appear to be in pain. After the third time we had her x-rayed. She has no joint problems. It was expensive, but we feel better knowing she doesn't have a serious aliment.

Vet thinks she may have growing pains and it will go away as she grows So we are back to walking her, but no rough housing. Well, less rough housing. We have also stopped her serious fetch games on a hard surfaces, since she runs so hard during her that play. She is almost 10 months, so we are hopefully she will soon out grow her limping.

So as others have mentioned rest is good for a limping doodle.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I am currently dealing with a leg injury in my foster doodle Maggie. She came to us with a broken leg and no medical history - she barely limped. When my vet saw her he did x-rays and splinted her leg. Her fracture is high and in her radius and he said that had she even stepped wrong, regardless of the splint, she could have snapped the ulna. If that happened we'd be talking surgery with rods. It is so important that she not hurt herself that she is sedated and confined to a crate 24/7 with potty and dinner breaks.

So - needless to say as bad as this is, if we hadn't taken her to the vet we might not of known how bad it was until too late - and then it would have been worse. Right now vet bills are already almost to the $1000 mark - if she had snapped her ulna we'd be talking 4000-5000.

Dogs don't like to show pain, so the fact that he's limping at all would make me bring him in.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If I can home and my dog was limping and was told that he had fallen, I would definitely go to the vet and have it checked out. As the others before have said, dogs hide their pain.....It was how they survived in the wild.

If the vet rules out a break or other injury, then rest might the answer. You may save yourself a good deal of $$ and stress by getting it looked at sooner rather than waiting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses.. I took everyones advice and just got back from the Vet.. She checked his legs and shoulders, and did not notice anything broken.. but he did wince at one point when she manipulated his shoulder.. SHe believes it just can be a bruise so she gave me anti-inflammatory medication (Rimadly) for him..
She told me to rest him for the next couple of days.. Just walk him to eliminate and thats it.. No exercising, playing, etc..
He is scheduled to be neutered on Thursday.. So if he still is limping by then, they will take x-rays..
I just hope he gets better soon.. we miss the dog park.. :)
Thanks for everyones help!
THis is a great site!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, that is great news!
I am so glad that you took him in...better safe than sorry, in my book.
Glad that they will keep an eye on him and do x-rays if necessary.
Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Homeopathics are great for any type of trauma.

Hepar Sulphur
Bruises and injuries that are extremely sensitive(painful) to touch and injured spots tend to suppurate easily. The injured part feels cold from the injury and is better from wrapping it up warmly.

Fractures always must receive medical attention.

Arnica 200c or 1M
It should be given immediately and repeat every 10 minutes until help arrives. It helps in absorption of extravasated blood and reduces the swelling.

Bryonia 30c
It relieves the pain that is worse from slightest movement. One dose daily for 6 days.

Hypericum
It is indicated in fractures of bones rich in nerves suchas crushed fingers.

Symphytum
It is indicated in bone fractures that do not heal well; in a trauma with fractures start with Arnica 1M (one dose) and if fracture is plastered complement with Symphytum 200c (one dose a day for maximum 3 days ). Symphytum promotes new bone growth in fractures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts