Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abbey has had on and off bouts with limping over the last three months. A few days ago she chased a cat and seem to re injure her front leg. We've seen her limp on her right and left fore legs. We've been to the vet a couple of times for the limping. We've been treating with rest and asprin. It is hard to rest a doodle. Abbey is used to a good walk in the am (2+ miles), some fetch in the afternoon, and a short walk in the evening.

So Tuesday we bit the bullet and left her at the vet for further evaluation which is basically xrays. The physical exam showed no localized pain or joint swelling and she has normal range of motion of all her joints. Her xrays showed no dysplasia. They x-rayed her hips and legs. Panosteitis didn't show up on the xrays either.

According to our vet, she still could have Pano or a soft tissue abnormality (tendon or ligament) or early elbow dysplasia. So we are going to continue to rest Abbey for the next week and then gradually return to normal activity. She also will take Deramaxx for a week, if needed. She doesn't seem to be in pain.

Hopefully, the limping will clear up as she gets older. She is nine months old now. It was an expensive day at the vet. But at least they were able to rule out (at this time) dysplasia and other serious joint issues.

Any other doodles experiencing lameness?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i ve had scare s with all of them..

Sabrina s was the most serious..sorta like degenerative
spine disease..she need to have a vertabre fused..

Lucky was limping around after a romp in the fields..on examination
i found a thorn in his paw..

..and Toby ended up with a huge lump in his side..the vet. removed
some liquid and found no cancer cells...it s going down a little each
week since and is now nearly gone..

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, Barb, I am sorry! It sounds like all of the normal things have been ruled out...isn't Pano the same as growing pains?
Limping isn't good, but if your vet can't find the cause...maybe it is just growing pains...I hope so!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sorry to hear about the limping but following Vet's orders may really help out.

years ago we had a Papillon that we used an Xpen to limit acitivity level to rest for 10days when tendon/ligament injury.
Maybe this (xpen)could help with Abbey? or sitting down with her at night?
or you can even read with your doodle's head sleepign on your lap :wink:

I sure hope her limping improves and goes away

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh I hope she feels better. Rest can really do wonders though - Dex was on complete rest for about 5 days (toe injury) and it healed on its own. We had him on a leash at all times inside and kept him from running at all. We would still take him for calm walks. I would try something similar with her to see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Poor thing.... hope you get well soon!

Lucas will limp every now and then, but I think it's because he hits his legs on things while he's doing the doodle 500's...

·
Registered
189 Posts
How worrying. I'm glad the vet was able to rule out all of those nasties. Resting a 9 month old doodle probably isn't the easiest thing but I hope it pays off and she's feeling better soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts