Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few hours of napping Manchego has started limping - favoring his right back leg. Do you think it's just sore / stiff from sleeping funny? I also noticed that he was reluctant to sit this morning. I gave him a bit of arnica to help but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do. I feel like it's a bit soon to run to the vet as I have been known to do as a new-ish dog owner. :oops:

I want to start giving him glucosomine soon as his dainty joints seem to be having issues at 1 year all ready :(

Any advise or has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks a bunch,
Sarah

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
he could have pulled a tendon/ligament?

and if he's limping more than a day or two, acts like he's in pain
i'd call the vet to be on the safe side

max once rammed into a wrought iron table and limped for one day
was fine the next.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
You could try gently squeezing his toes to see if he hurt one (Dex did that awhile back)...rest cured it. Otherwise, our wimpy doodle (Dex) definitely will limp after some hard play and then is fine the next day (he's dramatic).

I hope he is feeling better soon. If it's not better in a few days I would go to the vet...but you can do a gentle squeeze test on areas to see if you can find out what is hurting him.

P.S. I am at the vet with one of them almost monthly (normally with Dex) and normally it winds up me just being a worry wart.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Sarah

Did he do anything in the last couple of days that may have
caused this????????????? Denver overdid it at the beach a couple
of weeks ago and was lame in the morning. I took him to vet and it was
sore muscles and he was fine that same evening.........If he
is still lame tomorrow I would call the vet............

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes Megan!! That's scary. No kebobs at our house recently though!

Sue... He did have a good run w/ a boxer puppy at the park yesterday and we did just get back from a week of hiking around the desert in Utah. Maybe he's just tired after all of the exercise... he did sleep almost 2 days straight in the car on the way home though. :roll:

He seems fine now but I'm going to keep an eye on him and keep giving him the arnica in case he has any pain or swelling/bruising. It can't hurt him.

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, there are a few things to consider here...first, since you were hiking in Utah (I am from there so I know this) your pup could have stepped on a barb or a cactus. Check his feet very carefully, sometimes the puncture is so deep that you can't feel the barb.
Also look at the nails, if your dog has longish nails he could have an impacted toenail. That has happened to us.
Most importantly, please don't be afraid to see the vet. Dogs do not fake injury. In the wild, injured dogs die. They are hardwired to hide pain unless it is unbearable.
If your dog is limping, if he flinches when you touch him, or if he is hiding and trying to be left alone, these are all signs of trouble and should not be taken lightly.
Check the pads of his feet...maybe they have been worn or cut or burned (Utah deserts can be pretty hot on young dog pads.)
If you hear a clicking sound when he walks or if he trembles a little, those are also signs.
Certainly reluctance to sit is something to be concerned about.
It could be that you overdid the walking and hiking and he is sore. Still, I would be very concerned.
These dogs often do have growing pains, stiffness when they stand, trembling, etc. But I never just assume that is the trouble. I'd want to be sure.
Is there any history in your dog's family of bad hips? Has your breeder tested your pup's parents?
I hope that I am being an alarmist and that everything is okay...but do be aware that dogs don't fake injury, it is not natural for them to do so.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Sarah
Jac makes some good points so if he is still sore tomorrow
check with the vet..............
I take Denver to the vet for anything that comes up and he is almost
two, I just like to be safe, and not have to worry about what it may or
may not be.........am I overcautious...............oh yeah, but he is my
Denver!!!!! Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.........

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I have to totally agree w/Jac...even though we know Dexter doesn't have the highest pain tolerance, we still don't hesitate to take him to the vet. I would do a good check of his feet/legs first though :) Hope he feels better!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Found this today on a poodle site and thought of this thread....

"PANOSTEITIS (PANO)

Panosteitis is limping or occasional lameness in the legs in your larger breed dogs. You have probably heard of it as growing pains. It is most common in dogs under one year of age and more common in the males than the females. In females you may see it around the time of the first heat cycle. It can shift from one leg to another also. At this time the cause of pano is unknown. There are no long term negative problems associated with Pano.
During cases of Pano the bone marrow is replaced by bone cells. Sometimes the other tissues of the bone may also become effected such as the tissue that covers the bone marrow or the tissue that covers the outside of the bone. Eventually the problem resolves its self and the bone cells are absorbed and replaced once again with bone marrow. Once a bone has gone through this it is very unlikely that it will happen again.
Pano is usually treated with pain medications such as buffered aspirin or Rimadyl. Also you will want to reduce the amount of protein in your dogs diet. Restricting your dogs activity will also aid in the healing process.
Pano is very hard to diagnose. It may show up in X-rays as dark areas in the bone. If your dog is limping never assume it is just Pano and do nothing about it. Always check with your vet so you are not overlooking a more serious problem in your dog. "

·
Registered
434 Posts
Madge hurt her tail somehow a while back and she kept it tucked tightly under her bum. She would not let me get anywhere near it when I would try to investigate. A trip to the vet told me that she had somehow bruised the base of her tail. She got some pain meds and was better in 2 days. It was nice to see her tail up and wagging as it usually is.....Give it a day or so and call your vet if it gets worse or not better......Please let us know what happens...Leslie

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the responses!

He seems to be doing fine. I think he might have slept on it funny. He's been playing with his sister and walking fine around the house and on our walks.

Thanks for all of the well wishes!

Cheers,
Sarah

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes..i d check for thorns on the foot..Toby s saluki sister was limping and i was really concern d since she s 13 yrs..

i check d her paws and found a very small thorn between her toes.. :(

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sarah, I am so glad that everything is fine now. I do appreciate your post because the responses may help someone else down the line.

About the thorn inbetween toes...ouch! My Bayley, once, was licking her paws so much and I checked her toes...nothing, but she kept licking and later I realized that I had not checked the TOP part of her toes! She had a dirt clot the size of a pea that was wearing raw between her toes, on the top! Live and learn...but this type of post can really help!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi All... Just an update...

Manchego was fine for a few days but now he is limping and stiff again after some naps. Upon feeling around his legs I've noticed that he has a large hard lump that moves around above his knee on the back of his back leg and a smaller one on the other leg. I'm wondering if this is a lingering injury. He injured himself 3-4 months back and limped around for a whole evening. I don't think there are any glands in the back legs but it feels like a swollen gland. I just hope it's not a joint/hip problem.

I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow at 5pm and see if we can get to the bottom of this. I'm hoping she can diagnose it without extensive/expensive tests and maybe its just muscle tightness that we can massage out??? Wouldn't that be nice? :wink:

I'll keep ya'll posted!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I hope that the news is good. It doesn't sound like hip or joint problems, unless the lump is an indication of fluid build up.
We once had a pup that was bitten by a spider or something and he had a huge, water-filled lump...
I hope that the vet can get to the cause and treatment without a lot of expense.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So we went to the vet and the news is good!

The lumps on the back of his back legs are swollen lymph nodes which she thinks are swollen because he's fighting off an infection or virus. She said if they don't go down after a few weeks that we should screen him for cancer but since we recently tested his hygroma fluid and he is so young she is fairly certain that it is not cancer.

She thinks the limping is caused by OCD which is a developmental bone disorder that should go away by the time he is 2 years old. She wanted to prescribe pain meds but I want to try Arnica since he doesn't seem to be in much pain. I also have to let him leash walk only for 10 days! :shock:

Judy, I think this may be the same thing that you found called PANO... She described it exactly the same. Good tip on reducing the protein, they are on a very high protein food right now.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts