Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Cody Bear is really slow getting up after he's been napping. It looks like he has to work his legs out before he starts moving much. He kind of limps along for a few minutes. He can run and doesn't have any problems with that but he doesn't jump up and run like other puppies I've had. Also, he's good sized - 33lbs and he can't/won't jump up onto our bed which is about hip level on me. He jumps his front feet up and waits for us to pick him up. He can get into the car on his own using the runningboard. Should I worry about his hips or is this just normal? He's 4mo old. My vet is certified to do the pin hip(?) assesments on dogs and he has never said anything about Cody's hips. I even questioned him about our wood floors being a problem for development and he said as long as he's getting outside enough it should be ok. By the way, Shaws Paw Wax doesn't work :( Any ideas?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Slow growth and controlled feedings (a little less than the package recommends) can help help with elbow and hip dyslasia. I believe that elbow dysplasia is the most prevelent problem in doods that come from untested stock (or even tested stock for that matter). I would defer to your vet beyond this, because early surgery/intervention can help alleviate many problems. The technology and treatments have advanced rapidly in the last few years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
He is on Large Breed Puppy with proper calcium levels? Most supplements can aggravate a dysplasia problem, but studies have shown that a 500-1000mg of Vitamin C can help puppies that have a propensity towards hip or elbow dysplasia.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input

Cody is on Iams Large Breed Puppy food. I feed him twice a day about 1.5 cups each. I've been trying to keep his food at the right level but it's hard to know. I may switch to Science Diet or Innova. The vet said Iams is good but they sell the Science Diet. I gave him the chicken/rice I cooked when he had the tummy upset and the gas he produced pretty much made up my mind about the BARF diet. I won't be doing that! PU! He gets good exercise between my boys and the cats. It will be better in the Summer because he'll be swimming all the time on the lake. I just don't want him to be hurt :cry: I can't stand to see an animal in pain or hurt. Where do I get doggy C? Do any of the bone/joint products for humans help like Glucosomine/Condriton? Probably spelled that wrong.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning, Angela,
Lee Ann has given you "right on" advice...and I would, under these conditions, take your dog to the vet specifically for this problem.
You mention that the vet has not said anything about this yet, but have you discussed your concerns?
I don't know that your vet would require a PennHip eval, but certainly should know so that (s)he can monitor this.
Dogs do not activly show that they are in pain unless they can't help it, meaning that the pain must be very intense. In the wild, showing weakness can be fatal, so dogs do not limp or favor limbs unless they must.
I would take the signs seriously. PennHip is very expensive, but as Lee Ann said, early treatment may make all the difference in the world...don't experiment with possible "cures" until you rule out the easily diagnosed, yet serious problems.
Do you know if your breeder tested Cody Bear's parents? Do you know the results? That might help your vet decide what to do next, if you can provide this info.
Best of luck to you and Cody Bear! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The vitamin C is good to give to any large breed puppy. It is not an experimental treatment by any means! A trip to you vet is imperative at this point because as Jac says dogs don't show signs of weakness unless in severe pain.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh man...

That doesn't sound good at all. Poor Cody. He doesn't cry he just seems to have a slow limpy start. His parents both tested "good" on their hip tests. The vet has looked at his hips when I've asked him to but not since this limping started. I was thinking back and remembered earlier in the week he cried out and then wouldn't walk on one of his back legs for several moments. I never knew what happened and he seemed to walk it off ok. Maybe he strained a muscle or something. I guess I'll take him in - again. I feel like I'm at the vet all the time. :cry:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Cody Bear's limp. We have a hard tile floor throughout our house and stairs to get to our front door so I worry about Sawyer's hips and joints a bit, although he has never shown any signs of distress of any kind. I will be thinking about Cody Bear and hoping for the best possible outcome for him! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Angela,

Not all vets will prescribe it, but Bute works great for immediate pain relief. It is an old fashioned tried and true anti-inflammatory. One large pill is $.25 and for a puppy your size could be quartered. My vet starts out with two doses per day the first week, and will keep a dog on 1/4 of a pill for a lifetime or whatever the need is.

I have had to use this on my horse when he strained something, but x-rays showed no signs of anything wrong.

My Rottweiler also stubbed his toenail once and we had to use it with him for about a week. He has prescribed the lifetime treatment to my friend's golden with hip dysplasia.

Also, for immediate pain relief before seeing the doctor you can administer 5 mg per lb. of dog of buffered aspirin every 12 hours. If it is just a muscular strain, the rest and anti-inflammatory may do the trick. If not, then you do need to get Cody to the vet.

Lee Ann

P.S. The vitamin c is human grade at any GNC or Wal-Mart or wherever you shop. Your vet may even have some in his pharmaceutical cabinet. Your vet always knows best!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Angela, Been there exactly. We thought it was Toby's hips but x-rays showed not...his knees were all loose. He had a "hitch" in his step. We put him on glucosamine/chondroitin and cut back his food (he also eats Iams large breed) to slow the growth rate a bit. He now has no limp at all. I also had to limit his exercise for a month or so and I still don't let him jump up or down, but the limp is completely gone. After he finishes this round of g/c we are going to change him to the missing link - it is an all natural supplement that greyhound rescuers frequently use for maintenance as it doesn't have the long term side effects known to g/c. We have had wonderful results with the course of treatment and are thankful to avoid the surgery that we thought was imminent. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Certainly don't want to down size the limping issue
(can be very serious )but we went through the same thing from about 4-10 months...Nezzie would wake from a nap and limp...sometimes one foot then the other...We of course would go poor baby.....A couple times we
went for a walk she would start to limp about a block from our house till we got home ..

.Took her to the vet and all was fine neg xrays no pain when he laid he on her side and pushed on foot or hip ...Other times she would run all over the yard, and do the labradoodle tigger hop .....I examined her paws...nothing When she was almost a year ...we got another puppy and I have never seen a limp again ...

The vet said possibly due to rapid growth cant remember the name of this condition ????legs grow unevenly and once they catch up to full growth they are fine....

I would check all the bases with the vet ....first ..

·
Registered
158 Posts
tojak, I didn't realize this had happened! I am very happy to hear that all is well!

Thanks for sharing your experience because the uneven growth issue hadn't even crossed my mind!

·
Registered
9 Posts
limping

tojak said:
The vet said possibly due to rapid growth cant remember the name of this condition ????legs grow unevenly and once they catch up to full growth they are fine....

It is called Osteochondritis Dissecans. Can be a serious condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts