Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Do any of you have experience with life jackets for your dogs?
Denver loves the water and I want to know if life jackets help or hinder?
When we took him anywhere last summer he was too young and loved to run in the water, but not swim. Now when I take him anywhere near the water he just zooms on it and starts swimming like crazy. Surprised me a little bit as I said earlier he did not show much interest. So I am just wondering what you all think of life jackets. Dogs we had growing up were big time swimmers and we never thought of putting a dog in a life jacket but since everything else has changed since then I am just wondering what are the new thoughts if any. So farI have only taken him where I know the water, currents etc but what about boating? Can't say I know all the currents everywhere.

Sue

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sue we plan on taking both Max and Peanut out boating this summer and we going to put life vests on them for safety. i was thinking of training them first in our paddle boat or even in the pool to get used to them.

i mean adults and kids have to wear them on boats ...so why not dogs ?
that way heaven forbid an accident happens it does give a bit of protection and/or safety.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We used a life jacket on a dog we had once when we were boating. We used a human one - not the vest kind, but the kind that looks it's wrapped around the neck and ties in the front and has straps to go under the legs. We put in on him backwards - the floatation on top of his back. Worked well and he even learned to climb the ladder back to the boat! He would just quiver with excitement when ever we got out that life jacket. He knew he would be swimming for a long time.

Cinnamon goes swimming in our lake, but it's a very small lake - more like a big pond. She doesn't wear a life jacket, but then we're not worried about the currents. The only current we have she makes.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks for the brand recommendation sessa... I live at the beach and we go boating on both the lakes & ocean - so I was looking for a great fitted comfortable life jacket for Sandy :) I can't wait to take him swimming! Though it will be just my luck to get a puppy that hates the water!

·
Registered
689 Posts
We had one for Chester when he was smaller. It was easier to lift him out of the water and into the boat...now he's just too big to be able to do that.

When we were getting him used to water we had him on his leash and my daughter would wade out a bit and he'd follow. It only took him a few minutes. For Archie he just watched Chester and off he went.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
For Cinnamon there wasn't any hesitation. She took one look and jumped off the dock at about 5 months of age. No getting used to the water at the edge or nothing. Dave said "I hope she can swim!" and she took off to answer that question with a big YES! She did it over and over. She LOVES the water!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Vanessa...I see it now! As the world turns....great bodies of water around the world featuring the world traveling Mija!!From the salt lakes to the dead seas and back again. A whirlwind adventure that is not to be missed!! :lol: Coming to a forum near you this summer!! Rated D for doodleishious!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone :lol: :lol:
I knew you would all come through!!!
I have ordered the Outward Hound for Denver

Sue

·
Registered
53 Posts
Outward Hound! That is just too funny! :D

Darwin has been going in the icy ocean since January...I can't wait to swim with him this summer (we live on an island).
The town has "doggy beach" for year-round doggy swimmers. The public beaches don't allow dogs May -Sept. But there are some 'secret' places that one can go swim with their dogs! :wink:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I just ordered the Outward Hound for Tucker - I'll wait to buy Sandy's until he's a bit bigger. Tucker has a nasty habit of trying to "rescue" anyone (or anything) in the water even though he hates it - so I suspect having Sandy around this summer is going to make for a very wet (and unhappy) beagle!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wet Doodles

Chewbacca (5 1/2 months) has taken to the pool quite well...he knows where the stairs are for easy entry and exit. Since the pool is screened he only gets to use it when we are with him (until he fiqures out how easily he can go through the screen). His website has a couple of videos of his first ventures to the water. I have just ordered a life vest and ramp to use on the boat...our boating season will start in a few weeks so it will be interesting how overnighting on board will go!

Chewbacca & Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts