Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
licking paws A Lot!
JJ has been licking his paws quite a bit . We took him to the vet, he gave us bitter apple spray. That helps, but I'd like to know if anyone has this same problem and why is he doing it??? He just turned a year old yesterday. He is our BIG baby. I also found a red lump on his other paw. I am calling the vet tomorrow about that.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Yes, I had a dog that licked her paws a lot. I thought she had some sort of compulsive disorder ... she licked the fur right off of her foot! It was bleeding...and I noticed that she had a dirt clod between her toes, on the top...not the bottom, where I usually checked.

I had to gently remove the dirt, and it was really packed in hard! Poor thing, must have seriously hurt her... but then I put antibiotic cream (dog type) on her sore and tried to distract her when she licked at it. Soon it healed.

Do you live in an area where your dog could get bites from spiders or something? Burrs? The worst thing in the world for animals is horsetail (weed) because it just keeps working its way in deeper and deeper...it isn't really a season for these things though.

You might want to check with another vet too.

Now I check my dogs' feet all the time, I look at toenails, pads, between pads, clumps of dirt/hair, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe your dog developed an allergy to his/her food. Often dogs are allergic to wheat and/ or corn. Did you change your dog food recently? Just an idea.
tm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has your dog ever been groomed? Sometimes they get lots of hair inbetween the pads. Debris and dirt and things can stick to this area???? Just an idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts