Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone... i am soooooooo happy that today i signed Max and me up for Level 1 obedience classes and they start next Monday night!!! they go from 7 to 8pm weekly for 8 weeks.

i warned them however that max is a wildman when he's sees other dogs hahhahaha they said come early we'll helpyou out!! whew!!

8 years ago i went to this same place...they only allow 10 students in a really large hmmm heated one room house set up? don't know how to describe it. it's huge with acres of land. Anyway, you're allowed to let your dogs romp and play in a fenced area before and after class.
All i remember from the past experience of training was both my dog and I were totally worn out after an hour of training hahahhahaha!!!

I had great success in the past but ohhhhhhhhhhh hahhahahhaa i am wondering how MUCH work Max and ME have cut out for us!! :roll: Should be interesting :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Annmarie,
Buffy and I started Obedience I (sounds like a similar class) this past Tuesday. I, too, was wiped out after class. Buffy was exhausted. I think there are too many dogs in our class, but I guess they have to learn while they are distracted. We looked at a private trainer, but $990 versus $95 - we decided on the group lessons. It's fun, and you get to meet alot of other dogs. There's a Bernese Mountain Dog in our class, and she is so pretty. Her mommy asked me what kind of dog Buffy was, and I told her she was a labradoodle. She said she was sooooo cuuuuute (of course). After class, she came up to me and asked "can I touch your dog"? It was her 'first' labradoodle - that was fun for me.
I'm sure only good can come from training.
Betty

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yes training is the way to go for sure.
As Denver is a very large dog I am so glad that he has been through 3 levels of training classes, otherwise I would not be able to control him.
So have fun with the classes Annmarie and Betty and keep us posted.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That is awesome! I can't wait to take little Abby to training, but I have a ways to go since she is only 10 weeks. My brother gave me a name of a trainer that he took his wild Gordon Setter to and I have already contacted them for a schedule in May. I can't wait. Keep us posted on your progress :D

G

·
Hi Annmarie! :D You and Max are going to love class!!! You will be surprised at how much Max will learn and how quickly he'll calm down once class gets started.

Boyd and I are currently in intermediate obedience and he is the least skittish dog in the class. I won't say the most calm :roll: , but in terms of being very friendly and keeping to task he's the best!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Betty how many are in the class? we have a limit of 10 in a really large area/place

thank everyone for the gret vote of confidence hahhahaha
i right now see max doing doodle runs. panting. and sitting there wiggliing with excitement hahahhhahaaa
I hope he proves me wrong. :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK WAS anyone else besides me real nervous the day before the 1st day of class?
I woke up realizing OMG tomorrow is D-day!!! this is not something like i can do a preliminary brush up or study for hhahahahhahaa

Max worries me with his antics, attention span and not enough socialization!!!!

Happy Easter ONE and ALL!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Annmarie,
Hey there. I'd say there are about 18 dogs in the class. It is run by a local training club. I'm sure it will be fine. I think the important part is working with her at home, which is where I fail miserably. For me there are less distractions at training with 18 dogs than at home with Buster and the kids :wink:
I was all nervous last week at class because the trainer lady said "okay, get your dog to sit at your side, then we'll do a down". Okay - Buffy didn't know "sit". I didn't know that was a prerequisite. She did fine though. We have class again tomorrow night, so we should probably practice today and tomorrow. It's like being in college again and cramming for a test :D
It's fun, though. My biggest complaint from the first session was this lady next to me who (and we are wonly a couple feet apart) would not keep her dog to herself. It was this little yippy thing and kept coming over to bother Buffy. I didn't want to be rude, so I didn't say anything, but it was very annoying. Hard enough to keep their attention in that situation.
I'm sure Max is going to do great - he is a doodle, after all!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1st class DOWN 7 more to go!!! if i don't die of laughter and embarrassment first!! Max OMG he never saw so many dogs and went into wild man mode!!! real bad too!!! hahhahaaa

i would stand there acting nonchalant while Max would jump straight up in the air 5ft high do either a twist or full 360. :shock: I am telling you everyone's eyes POPPED out of their heads. I acted like nothing was going on while dying inside. Max seems to like the female bull mastiff alot.

Max is great at home but OMG at class ....he can't sit still.
OH i kept telling one of the trainers DO NOT give him pieces of hot dogs! she did!! I handed them MY CHICKEN ...anyway we got even with all the watchers in seats laughing the whole time when My MAX let off some good SBD's hahahhaha again i acted like nothign was happening :roll:

Anyway, finally the main trainer who i love said Max has alot of poodle in him for sure ....loved when he clicked his teeth at her once when he didn't want to do a command hahhahahha

OH he did great with heel ..hell i had a milllion pieces of chicken in my hand. And OH yes he stands excellent, as dave said anyone puts a hand near a penis he would too!!! I told them i groom max alot so he knows how to stand

sooooooo they admitted to me we have our work cut out for us!! hahahah like i didn't know that hahahhahaha ohhhhhh i laughed so hard tonight! i had too. Max needs socialization bigtime

i am now getting ready for bed as i am worn out! and still laughing

PS do NOT wait till a doodle is 9mos old to start class hahahhaha Dave is in the other room still giggling since he was the spectator :roll:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
You are waaayyy too funny Annmarie! I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall! I can just picture Max 'performing' for his audience! :shock: hahahahaha!
Can't wait to hear next weeks anecdotes! :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I am chuckling here too after reading about your evening. You conveyed the mood perfectly, I'm picturing all the goofiness. You have to post weekly as each class goes...this is too cute....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ellabee said:
I am chuckling here too after reading about your evening. You conveyed the mood perfectly, I'm picturing all the goofiness. You have to post weekly as each class goes...this is too cute....
Ellabee know why it's cute? cuase you aint there with my dog!hahhahaa I cannot stop laughing and dreading next week's class hahahahhaaa

OH they gave us all a folder....WE have homework, or rather i have MORE Homework than anyone else! :roll:

and when we got home...dave decided to try some training with the lead. guess what? Max performed perfectly!! what a little stinker! :twisted:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Annmarie, take heart even if it doesn't seem like Max is paying attention he is!

Years ago I got kicked out of obedience class with my Dalmation who was about Max's age because of her antics and my refusal to use a pinch collar on her. (They wanted me to beat her on the nose with a piece of heater hose for jumping). Once Sam turned five and settled down she magically knew all of the things I had tried so hard to teach her. She was a GREAT dog for the rest of her 15 years.

Just consider Max the class clown - Can your spectator take video for us next time??? :wink:

Heather

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Bhahahaahah Annmarie
I remember it well Denver was a nutcase in class too and he was
a baby. All he wanted to do was play with the other dogs and not listen to nothing. Once we got him home and away from all the distractions,
you guessed it he behaved and listened perfectly. Do your trainors let the dogs play first? Our first trainor did not allow that enough as far as I was concerned and in later classes when they did we he was just so much better.
Thanks for the visuals and the good laughs, can't wait to hear what happens next week. :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OMG this is exactly the post I expected you to write after you got home... I had a feeling you were in for it when we talked earlier!

Good luck next class!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Yet another chapter of doodleology! They're either guide dogs or hooligans...you decide.
Annmarie, been there, done that! Oh the memories (insert cats music). I'm laughing now with coffee safe in cup....but Miko will be starting hopefully soon. I think she's going to be more of a hider under the chair> I'll probably spend all my time saying...."really, I don't beat her, she's just timid!". Maybe I'll have to bring one of my videos with me!
Can't wait to hear (see??) Max's next class. Don't forget your homework..... :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kristen thank YOU so MUCH for that vote of confidence...can't tell ya how great it feels to read that hahhahaaa :wink:

to all others... OK I will do a weekly posting of each class. Why not with today's times we all need a good laugh. And hell if i can provide it with Max,...I will!! i am up for the job hahahh i can complete the task at hand: Describe my horror while acting cool calm collect while fiercely holding onto a over rambuncious mexican jumping bean Doodle---max!

Dave and I laid in bed giggling so much last night!I said my worst fears were confirmed at class last night! and then thought they had better been the WORST! :shock: or i am going to have to wear depends to aid me when i laugh so hard.

Seriously, i felt like the book "Marley and ME" had come to life! When asked, I said MAX was still a puppy PEOPLE"S eyes Popped out again. And the people sitting watching with Dave would ask "which puppy is yours?"""Dave would point and say the black one and shut up! he got alot of " OHhhhh" and silence :wink: hahhahhahahhaha

So folks next Monday i want ya all to do a prayer chain for me starting at 7:30pm going until 8:30pm hahhahahha

1 - 20 of 35 Posts