Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I work from home and walk the doodles 2 times during the day and my husband and/or I walk them first thing in the morning and at least once after work. Normally they both sleep all day when they are inside while I work. Lately Manchego seems to be slowing down and getting tired much sooner than his sister from the same litter Brie when they are playing outside. I'm not sure if this is because he is a curly coat and gets hot faster now that it's becoming sunny here in Vancouver as Spring is coming. I do recall him getting tired very fast when he was a puppy last summer in the hot sun.

I am not sure if he's just growing up, getting hot or if he may have a health issue. He is very skinny but my vet seems to think its tough to get young active dogs to put on weight. They are on a grain-free diet (EVO switching to Orijen) and seem to do well on it, even though they are always hungry and LOVE to graze out in the park when we go for our walks.

Anyway, just wanted to see what you all think. Is he growing up (they are almost 11mo. old)? Is it a curly coated doodle issue of being hot? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any advice!

Best,
Sarah

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter most definitely got tired more quickly in the summer. There also is a time where they slow down somewhat :) Did the slow down start w/the warm weather? If so, I would think the 2 are related :) If it makes you feel better, give your vet a call.

Can you post some photos of your doodles? :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
you can upload them to a hosting site like photobucket... A lot of people use photobucket, but I've had issues with them so I use flickr.com or imageshack.us

Your doodles are bueaaauutiiifuuullll by the way! :D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hmmm... I have a hard time believing it is that warm in Vancouver in February! Being tired is not necessarily bad. Different doodles have different thresholds, even siblings. It could, however, also be a sign of an infection or illness.

Does Manchego have any other signs of illness? Is he eating, drinking and pooping the same? If he continues to be a slug, I'd get some blood work done. Charlie's best friend, a golden retriever, recently developed some type of infection and the only symptom was lethargy.

I hope its nothing but maturity!

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Sarah

Great photos and cute doodles.

If they are always hungry, maybe they arent getting enough nutrition, I know most dogs will eat and eat if food is there, but if they are always wanting food, maybe they arent getting enough.

AB does not like the heat at all and stays inside more in hot weather, especially if the sun is out.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Your dogs are beautiful....very nice having two different coats.

I think we need more information...like... How warm are we talking about? Did it come on suddenly?

Tanner is also very sensitive to the sun but how he deals with it is to avoid it. He still plays hard when it is warm (not hot or not over 80 degrees) he just tries not to stay in the sun.

I tend to agree with maybe he needs to eat more if he is always hungry.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you are correct that it isn't that hot up here. The day that I really noticed it was when it was around 60F. It was really sunny and since he is blackish brown I thought maybe the heat would affect him.

Right now they are both getting 3 cups of food a day of Innova EVO. They tend to eat grass, some wood (we live on a logging river so there are lots of tasty chunks around to munch on) and sometimes he's eating other dog's poo that he finds, but never his own or Brie's. I've been trying to supplement their diet with steamed and pureed sweet potato, carrot, apples and sprouts (about 1 -2 tbs a day) but my husband said he had a normal poo followed by a not so normal poo about 2 minutes later so I am assuming that was the veggies coming out and am going to try to give them their kibble only for a while and see how they do.

Manchego is still eating normally, drinking water, sleeping normally, getting exercise etc. He still likes to doodle 500 around and play but he seems to get distracted by smells and things to graze on more easily. In the house earlier he was playing tug w/ me and he was also trying to get his sister to play with him so he's not totally lethargic. Not to mention he just now was harassing the cat!

This all hasn't come on suddenly, and he's not lethargic all the time which is why I think he might just be maturing. I'm thinking about taking him to a naturopathic vet that some of the neighborhood dogs use and see what they say.

Thanks all for your advice :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
He sounds pretty normal to me. Tanner goes through periods of less play and more sleep...in fact he is in the I don't want to get up this early mode right now. Some days he wants to sleep alot. I know it won't last so I just enjoy his down time knowing that it will be followed by some highly energetic play on other days.

If you take him to the vet you mentioned, it will be interesting to find out what he thinks of his energy level.

Oh, and they eat about what Tanner eats...3 cups kibble most day with supplements.

It must be lots of fun have the two dogs and you must get lots of comments about their different looks. :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
You know...last month we had some 60 deg days out of the blue. We took the doodles to the dog park and Dex got tired much quicker than usual. I wouldn't think it's impossible the hotter weather is causing this.

They definitely hit a stage where they calm down a bit...yours may be there. Are they drinking a lot more water than usual?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette got so lethargic during the heat last year, when she was a puppy, that I took her to the vet's. There was nothing wrong with her - she just doesn't deal with high temperatures well. I expected her to be a nut in the snow, but she's never done a Doodle 500 in her life, so I guess she's just not a hyper pup even when it's cold. Anyway, keep an eye on Manchego and see if there are any other indications that there are problems. If you don't see anything, I'd assume it's the warmth.

By the way, I love your dogs' names. I like Manchego and Brie as well, but I love any kind of soft chèvre. Great on baguettes.

Leslie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts