Labradoodle Forums banner

Let Pups Go at ?? Weeks?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Maureen 
#1 ·
I've gotten different thoughts on when to have pups go to new homes. I thought 7 weeks was reasonable. My vet recommends 8 weeks. I'd like the best for the pups and new families, of course. (Sheesh. If I get them this far, I'd better finish off right!)

Any thoughts?

(By the way--thanks! I've gotten such useful info from you doodle folks.)

#2 ·
Here is KS it is 8 weeks no exceptions however other states might be different. Also the backyard breeders don't follow the state laws most of the times and let them go as earlyas 6 weeks. I do see a big difference in 6 to 8 weeks and even 10 when they are still there. They can hold their little bladders longer and hacve a little longer attention spans.

#3 ·
Hi Cindy,
We got our girls at 7 weeks, but now in California, there is a law that no puppies leave until 8 weeks of age. The reason, I believe, is that the bonding to littermates and parent dogs teaches the puppy valuable socialization techniques. (And we did get littermates so they were not alone.)
I spayed/neutered our litter at 8 weeks so they could not go to their homes until 10 weeks, 2 were "hold overs" until 12 weeks...and I must say that all of our customers have said that these pups are a dream when the transition occurs. So, in my experience, the older the better.

#4 ·
Hi Cindy,
Good for you for wanting to "finish" right!
I will apologize in advance if I sound preachy about this topic.

Here in CO the law is 8 wks and I really believe STRONGLY in waiting until that 8th week. Like Jac said, the 5-8wk age is where they learn to relate differently to their mom, each other, and any other adult dogs, AND how to bond with both other animals and you. And if your puppies haven't bonded with you, how will they know how to bond with anyone?

I've seen near-sociopathic dogs that seem distant to their owners, not unloving, but well, distant....and in every case (including our own) the puppies were released before 8 wks. I've been on that receiving end so I don't do it to others. And hey! You're getting good money for them (sorry to be crass) so one more week won't hurt, ya know?

#6 ·
Puppies Sold?

The pups will be 5 weeks old tomorrow. We have sold 4 of the 7. Three to go! Interestingly, I did have a potential buyer last week who I quickly realized would never be the owner of one of my dogs. A fine salesperson I was--discouraging the buyer from any possible interest in my pups!

By the way, this litter has been so much fun! It seems every member of our family is regularly carrying around a pup. (It'll be even more fun once I know they each have a great new home!)

#7 ·
Way to go, Cindy!
I seem to see a lag in sales between the pre-sale reservations, and then at 6-7wks old I start to see people who know a puppy can be theres in a week or so start to contact me. So I bet you'll find homes for all your babies soon. :D

One more thing, good for you on NOT selling to someone whom you were not comfortable with! That takes courage, but it's best for you and your babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.