Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girls went for lesson 1 last night--they did well. Renee got her click/treat coordination down but still needs some work on her footwork :lol: She also learned how BONKERS and powerful a Doodle can get around other dogs. It was hard for me to watch at times since Abby had no concern for the leash or the human (holding treats!) at the other end--dragging Renee across the field. Holding back my 'need' to help I sat and watched. I'm convinced that just treating and clicking is not enough for some dogs with as much energy (exuberance) and power of a Doodle. The last part of the lesson was walking on leash Abby was wearing a Premium (Martingale) which had 'no effect' at all. After a few tries Renee put some distance between her and the class and had her walking at heel cliking and treating :D like a Pro. After school Abby still had too much energy, Renee was POOPED :lol: We went for a walk before going upstairs and we ran into a neighbor walking her Yorkie, Abby went into her routine and I, tired of feeding this dog for unwanted behavior, gave her a few quick 'sincere' corrections with the leash while walking back and forth past the neighbor who I thanked for allowing us to use her to train with. After 4 passes with several quick corrections she settled down and I was able to then stand and talk to our neighbor without having to deal with a bolting dog. Renee was watching, the Little Old Lady neighbor thought it was wonderful we are teaching our dog to be social with other dogs and looks forward to letting the two of them play together :) After saying goodbye and heading for the door I had Abby do some what they call "technical healing" to show Renee what Abby (and she) can do. There are times when I feel you have to go # for # with teaching techniques. Like matching the hatch in Fly fishing the trainer has to match the emotional committment of the dog for faster results. You can't say please to a dog and expect results! Of course if you have all the time in the world--TREAT/CLIK it works too :lol: I feel there is no steadfast rule to follow they all Milan/Owens/Pryor have their value.
This mornings walk was successful according to Renee. Abby was the best on leash to date :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
thank you for giving me a good pre-lunch chuckle :) I am picturing Renee's experiences as you describe them...I remember the first puppy classes well :)

That's great Abby is making such good progress though :) Doodles are so smart...but their desire for play and being social is equally high :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Congrats ABby and Renee for making it thru class # 1,

I keep thinking I really need to take Annabelle, maybe if it would help with her nervous peeing when people come over, she just gets sooo excited :(

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was a little surprised that the instructor did not show the class how to use a leash in the first lesson. Renee was not the only one being pulled around the field-- :lol: Yesterday the day after, Renee had some pretty sore shoulders and a backache from all that pulling. So in spite of my promise to myself to not 'BUTT IN' and let the instructors teach the class I showed Renee how to correctly use the leash. It was not as bad as I thought it would be since she does not want such a 'physical' workout next class :wink: FLASHBACK: Back in the 70's I hired a driving teacher to teach her to drive because I was unable to do it. That was before our 27 year TRIAL SEPARATION which ended in us getting hitched in 2000--but I digress :roll: Today Abby walked with NO INCIDENTS according to Renee, the lesson worked :D I know my limitations which is why I thought a class would be better then me screwing things up and risk hurting Renee's feelings. I guess my interest in dogs over the years has developed like a good education there are things I know I can do with them and things I can LEARN to do with them. It's People I have the occasional 'issue' with :lol:

G

·
I'm glad Abby is doing well! I bet she wins most behaved in the class! She is a cutie pie! I think we all struggle a little with the social exuberance of our dogs. But it is also a reason why we love them sooo much!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MTD i think it's great your wife is doing OB with Abby and yes it's hard to stand by and watch and keep the yap shut.

I wish my DAVE would do a class with Beau which would only help to reinforce the training as i too cringe when i hear someone ask one of our doodles something 3 times :roll: or my son lets them jump on him :roll:

Abby also sounds like she'll go to the head of the class as doodles are smart dogs though silly at times :D

Looking forward to hearing about class 2

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ubet Annmarie! There are 5 lessons to go :shock: I think that it's going to get better for the wife now that she has some things to practice :wink: Who knows maybe she will wind up teaching the class as part of her therapy program :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts