Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi doodle buddies, I have a couple of questions for you. Since I brought Sam home, I noticed that his front legs shudder. At first I thought he was just a bit nervous because of new surrounding and experience but I've noticed it when it's just me playing with him. I've had a vet do a general health check and he gave Sam the all clear. A friend suggested it might be growing pains. Am I just being an over protective and over anxious doodle dad?

Secondly, Sam goes through energy spurts every afternoon where he just runs around silly. I can't get him to do anything and he won't listen to me. While it's sort of cute on an 9 week old puppy, this is not behaviour becoming of an adult dog and I don't want to encourage it. Is this just normal puppy behaviour and I should just accept it? If not, are there any suggestions for what I can do to calm him down?

Once again, a very appreciative novice doodle dad.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We call the running around crazy the doodle 500's!! Best thing to do, is sit back, laugh and stay the heck out of the way. Mine still get them at 16mo, 19mo and 25mo.....just not as often, and for the most part, outside....thank the Lord!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well I will say if you don't want him to continue the Doodle Crazy run at 12 months don't encourage it for very long or you will never break him of it. :shock: The shudders I don't know I will check that out and get back here.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver still does the Doodle 500 at 18 months but not as often.
He also did the leg shudder that you describe and I brought him to
the vet for it months ago but she said there was nothing to be concerned about as he checked out very healthy. Whether it was growing pains or
not she did not say but she did see him do it and said his legs were fine and no bone problems and just told me sometimes in a growing pup they
do things that are not known why but not a problem. Of course have your
own vet check this out, but that was our experience. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max used to do doodle 500 runs daily inside...now its once a week perhapys
But outside....zoooooooooooom he's off and running hahhahaa

Peanut didnt' start till she was 6mos or so

Beau is learning alot right now from Max and Peanut hahhahaha

but i have no idea on the leg shuddders

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a bit difficult to stop the doodle 500 once he starts. I call it psycho doodle :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a really good point I hadn't considered. Thanks for that. Perhaps it is excitement and pent up energy.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Any new pics of Sam ????

Annabelle is 18 months and still does doodle 500's and still doing 360's in about 2 square foot space, she loves to do 360 spins on the bed :shock:

Hopefully the twitch is just a nervous too much energy thing

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Bogie does the doodle 500 more and more at 10 weeks. My husband has been reading this book and tried this.
Do a sharp sound.....like HEY!.........or distract with another thing like a ball or something. When he comes over give praise and a treat.
We actually get a kick out of this. It wears him out. We were working in the yard cleaning up all the summer debris of plants etc and had Bogie out with us for 2 hours yesterday. He was soooo exhausted last night! I picked him up once off the floor and put him on my lap. He was flopping around like a rag and couldn't hold his eyes open. I actually thought he had eaten something and was sick.............lol.......he was just burned out!
I agree that as adult dogs it would be unacceptable to not listen. So, we do need to do things now to stop them from not listening. It's scary to think that if they got out of the door and did the 500 they wouldn't come back or get hit by a car...omg!!!
Looks like we both need to work on this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Abbey drops her tail and butt and runs in circles now and then. My vet calls it the puppy crazies! If you want to discourage it you could distract or just pick up. If you can catch them! I think most pups do it.

Our labs used to do it. It reminded me of Jackie Gleason's "and away we go" dance! You have to be a senior to remember that!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
BAD said:
Abbey drops her tail and butt and runs in circles now and then. My vet calls it the puppy crazies! If you want to discourage it you could distract or just pick up. If you can catch them! I think most pups do it.

Our labs used to do it. It reminded me of Jackie Gleason's "and away we go" dance! You have to be a senior to remember that!
LOL, I bet Abbey isn't a chunkie as Jackie was, used to watch that show all the time :wink:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali's front leg or legs will shake when she's sitting and trying to have self control i.e. do what mom is asking her, but not really wanting to!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tucker never had the shaking leg, but Frankie does. He also seems to do it when he is sitting and waiting to see what we are going to do next. As for the Doodle 500, It 's double the fun with 2. Frankie can't keep up but he can cut Tucker off via the coffee table. Yep sit back and laugh and stay the heck out of the way. We also love Tucker doing the butt drop run. Frankie hasn't done that one yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've saw Pixie's front legs shake when she was sitting, and I was working on some command with her. No idea why. She also gets wild in the late afternoon/evening if she hasn't had a long enough walk - running around, jumping, not listening. A tired puppy is a happy puppy!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I read a study once that said that dogs are most active in late afternoon and that's the best time to train. Of course at my age I'd have to proclaim this as 'old school' lore. I personally find it to be true for our Doodle. Around 3-4 she starts the Doodle 500 behavior which I join in on (we race around the couches)...LOL Between 4 and 8 she seems to really pay attention to her lessons with more verve. Oh, the leg shaking thing can be stress, anxiety, excitement. While on the boat for the first time Abby sat in front of me, groaned and started shaking both front paws. I immediately beached the boat, took her ashore and she eliminated IMMEDIATELY. I routinely consider these incidents 'conversations without words'. I love interspecies communication...mtd :wink:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Darwin. Sam is a little head turner. Everyone who has seen him as been absolutely besotted with him. He has his moments though. The doodle 500 definitely happens more in the afternoon. Every day is a new doodle adventure. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts