Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago we had and exercise in LEAVE IT. One of our cats was brave and decided to jump on the back of the couch in the family room where Lani and Toby were. They immediately tried to go after him. I yelled out LEAVE IT and Lani backed off and did not bark, Toby with a little intervention, (a magazine between him and the couch) and repeated leave it did not jump on the couch to get the cat. When Moonee decided not to tempt fate he jumped off the couch to run out Lani started to go after him and I yelled leave it and she turned around and walked away, Toby didn't go after hime either!!!!! :D I am so proud of them because I know how much fun it would have been for them to terrorize the cat!!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
That's great! I'm still working on that with Doc and my little toy poodle. Doc wants to play with her so bad but he's too big and rough. She only ways 7 lbs and he weighs about 70 lbs! She runs from him and then he wants to chase her. I hope I can get a handle on it and it won't be this way for the rest of their lives. I suppose I need to get firmer with Doc and make sure he knows I'm serious.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow, Lisa...congratulations! The leave it command, in my opinion, is one of the most important ones...and a very hard one to teach! Good job!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jac the cats really, really appreciate it also! :lol: It also helped tonight when the neighbor's dog was barking and Lani and Toby joined in. I loudly said "leave it" and they stopped. For now they are listening! :D Who knows what tommorrow will bring?

·
Registered
434 Posts
So how is the best way to teach this command? I am using the tip from "Dog Training for Dummies", with a treat in my hand and rewarding when he looks away. He does it everytime with the treat, but never when I need him too for real. I'll keep pluggin' away...Leslie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leslie, (sorry this will be a long one) the woman who teaches the obedience class we go to teaches it with treats also. First she puts a handfull of trests on the floor (on towling) and everyone walks around the treate giving the leave it command starting about 6' from the pile. We walked around about 5 times and gave the command and corrections as needed. She then came around to each dog and held out a treat we gave the leave it command until we wanted the dog to have it, then "ok" command was given.

At home Imake sure I am in the same area as Lani and Toby and usually the cat. I run interference and give the "leave it" command as they try and go after the cat. I praise as they obey, since they are still puppies it doesn't always work. I think they are doing wonderfully though! :lol: They are so intelligent they really pick up things fast, it is almost scary! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Lisa, good for you guys. I have to really work on that one, thanks for the suggestions. I had to buy more socks, all of them were getting holes. Something about him and socks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toby's weakness is shoes :( He has not managed to destroy any yet thank God! :D He will drop it of I say leave it but he still goes after the shoes if they are left out. I haven't figured out what to do other than put the shoes in a different area. Hopefully he will out grow it.
:?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jac, I checked out the site and it sounds just like our trainer! We really like her and owners keep coming back, some for a couple of years. Mary Ann (teacher) really likes Toby because he will anything she asks him to do. My husband made sure she knew HE HAD NOTHING to do with it, Toby is just that way! :lol: They are wonderful dogs, gush, gush! :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a great trainer, Lisa! (And a pretty darned good hubby too!)
You know, that is one thing I have really noticed about doods...they are pretty easy to train as long as their people are consistent...so long as the dood knows what the owner wants, they are happy to do it!
My puppies even know that when I say their names in "that tone" they should stop immediately...and move away. They are smart!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So much for leave it. Lani was going after the cat and I yelled leave it and she walked away. I was so happy I praised her and gave her a piece of chicken jerky. The phone rang, I answered it, she finished the jerky, the cat appeared, she took off, I yelled leave it, she kept running after the cat, I grabbed her and she kept tring to go after the cat!!!!!! Just like kids once the get what they want and you are on the phone all bets are off!!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Leave it

Can you imagine my house, I have nine cats. The first words Denver learned was Leave it. Mind you all I ever say at feeding time is Leave it nine times LOL

Blueal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts