Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - my doodle walks me

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do all your doodles do :shock: when they're walking on a leash? Saints or devils? Dexter is still pretty bad on a leash, easily distracted, pulls like a bull (and he's getting very strong...) or jumps, you name it. Martingale collar isn't helping at all, really....unless there's a trick to using it that I'm missing.

So can I have a rundown on who's a nice, mellow leash-walker, and who isn't so nice and mellow? :twisted:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Believe it or not....with a gentle leader, Jonah is an angel on the leash! Miko would be good if she still wasn't so skittish.

I forgot....with Miko when we went to the vet, the wanted to try to get a urine sample...yeah right! She had her harness and leash. When we gave up and went to go in the vet's office, she started up the stairs, realized where she was, bolted the other way almost landing me on my face!! :shock: So, that is the "skittish" part of my little velcro girl! :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hmmm...so Dexter is 90% of the time good on a leash. Kirby needs a lot of work. He's so excited about everything. If we see another dog he goes crazy (he needs work on socialization and leash walking).

We got a EZ walk harness for Dex (and will get one for Kirby). It seems to help a lot. Plus I like that it doesn't go over the face which I think would freak out Dex.

So I have a yes and a no vote...haha

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use the gentle leader easy walk harness on Boyd and it's great. He gets excited to see people and jumps up but w/the harness I can control him until he settles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Uma's good on the leash until another person, especially another person with a dog, walks by. Then she all but chokes herself trying to get to them. I'm mean jumping 5 feet in the air, pulling so hard I almost lose her, garbbing the leash in her mouth, etc.

I'll be interested to see this advice because it's not only embarrasing, but dangerous too.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy starts off really bad - once we get going (after about a 1/2 mile or so) he really calms down and walks nicely at a heel. It just takes burning off his excited energy first! So both answers describe us :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best advice one can give is try the easy walk harness and LOTS of sociallization. Dexter goes to the dog park a lot (usually 2x week, more if we have time) and now he "usually" will just sniff the other dog and keep walking. He still gets excited occasionally, especially when the other dog wants to play, but he is much easier to control than when he was younger.

Kirby went nuts on our walk yesterday (he's 1.5 months older than Dex) when we saw a husky. Dex was like "ho hum". Kirby was leaping into the air and almost flipped into the street. This encited Dex to start barking. 2 barking doods, a scared elderly woman with a husky, and me trying to control the situation. I can't wait until we introduce Kirby to the dog park and he learns when and where he can play. He clearly wants to play with every dog we see but unfortunately, not every dog wants to play with him! Kirby will be getting an easy walk harness soon.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
:lol: :lol: I repeat .... a "Jerry-Cam". :lol: :lol:

Now I know many of you will not like the fact that we use the metal prong training collar. This has been the most effective way to train Ebbe when on the leash ... I don't have to worry about it slipping off ... and it does not hurt her.

Last night during a late night walk, we both heard something ... turned ... and there was a couple walking their 'snack' dog Coco, who went nuts when she saw Ebbe. Coco was on a retractable leash, was pulling and jumping and would not shut up! Ebbe gave her a dignified doodle glance, I gave Ebbe a slight tug with a "heel" and we continued on our way. I praised her loudly for her stellar behaviour.

I almost never use the retractable leash (only for potty breaks) and prefer the six foot leash. This works for us!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Right now, we use an old fashioned choke chain for Charlie. He tends to pull and get overly excited at first like someone else mentioned earlier, but then he settles down nicely. I laugh too when the little dogs go nuts when we walk by, Charlie barely gives them any notice.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Are ya kidding???????
Denver is actually very good as he was trained with
a gentle leader.(Had to as he is a 100lb dog) I have been walking him without it for about 2 months and he is very good but without the leader
if he is distracted and wants to go well it is a tug of war that I can not win.
So I carry the gentle leader and put it back on him when something comes along that I am not sure how he will react. He heels quite well
though.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner started to pull when he was about 7 months old so I switched from Martindale to Gentle Leader for a walk of any length. He hated the Gentle Leader but he did behave and walk nicely....He would do the doodle pout and would try to rub it off for the first while.

After about 2 months I went back to the Martindale, he was happy and for the most part, he walks well. I don't keep him at heel but use the command of "stay close". I also let him run out on the leash and sniff a bit on our walks as well but I decide when...not Tanner. If he gets excited at an approaching dog or person, I have him "sit" and "wait". I treat when he does this so he is good about calming down.

We just this week bought the EZ walk harness, Dexter's mom's recommendation, and I will now use that when hiking with him. I think it will work well now that he is trained.

Just my preference but I don't like the prong collars because I find that dogs pull more against them. I don't find that it teaches them to walk nicely.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tried a choke collar with Abby to no avail because she is a major puller :? When I took her to puppy training they suggested a prong collar, which I have used with my brother's hyper Gordon Setter for years and it worked wonders so I tired it with Abby....what a HUGE difference :D We walk everyday and she walks beautifully. She started advanced traning this week and even the trainers saw a huge improvement. I tried the gentle leader and she didn't respond to it. You just have to try what works best for your doodle.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota is a puller. He has actually drug me down to the ground in his exuberance to get to someone he saw. :oops: I tried a gentle leader on him and it worked but he hated it so that I just didn't enjoy walking him. We then switched him to the prong which actually works quite well. But now that he is in agility, I'm not allowed to use any control collars, so we are back to walking with a flat collar. He's fine when I walk him in a familiar place with no distractions, but anything less than that :shock: !!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Let me know how Dakota does in his training! I bet he will be great :p I love the prong collar because it is like having "power streering" :roll:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm currently using just a flat nylon collar with Chouette, but yesterday when we took her back to the trainer so he could see how we were applying what we'd learned he was concerned about her heeling. Apparently I hadn't mastered the drill and was allowing her too much freedom, letting her walk too far ahead and behind and not stopping her from browsing for enticing sticks and nuts on the ground. He said that she's not paying attention if she's looking down. He reminded me that the leash has to be slack unless she is drifting or not cooperating, and then we do a quick tug/release to remind her. He had to do a couple of stronger ones when she wasn't complying with him as he demonstrated the technique to us, and it was amazing how quickly she responded, walking exactly as she should.

I've tried it at home today and it does work better, but he told me that if I can't make it work we need to go to a prong collar. Right now I can control her but as she gets bigger and learns bad habits we'll have lost that window of opportunity and it will be much harder. Since it's my fault that she's testing, I very much want to be able to handle her without the prong, but I'll use it if I need to.

When she's not at heel I often let her off the leash, since we live in the country and the walk to get the paper is through the woods but on our own property. The trainer says just not to give the command "Chouette, come!" if I can't enforce it, but I can say, "C'mon, c'mon," and that sort of thing to get her to come back to me. He feels that allowing her off leash makes her less uptight about being "free" at other times. I also switched to allowing her freedom for her morning walk, since I was really feeling torn about enforcing the heel first thing in the morning when she had been cooped up all night. So we do a brief heel and if she's good she gets to be off leash. And then we do our training sessions at other times.

When she's not on heel but is still on the leash I let her sniff as long as she doesn't pull; I give a quick jerk/release and say "Don't tug," or sometimes turn and go in the opposite direction. She's getting better at that.

The funny thing is that she was great at all this stuff when she was younger, but right now, at four months, she's evidently testing......

Leslie

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I have always used a flat collar with the gentle
leader. Denver is on leash until we reach the school
where he has his playdates twice a day.
He is very good off leash and his recall is wonderful.
If he forgets to be so wonderful I just have to say bye bye
and head for home and this dog is beside me in record time.
He does not want to be left behind. All do to the time he
thought I left him(a tall person in front of me blocked his view of me)
He was frantic and went charging off to find Mom and did a 180
when he heard my voice and came charging back. Since then
like I said his recall is wonderful.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is an angel on a regular leash and collar.

PEANUT is a horror al of a sudden and needs serious re-training as the past week :shock:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is fine with a choke collar. If she does get unruly I shorten the leash. It took a while to do this, it's not an over night thing. We take daily walks with a once a week in public places - city park, shopping areas, etc. ( I live in the country)

I just found a dog park really close to me - I can't wait until it cools down enough to check it out. I'm not going when it's 100 outside!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OK--I shared my on leash woes; now, how are your doodles off leash? This is where Dakota shines! I don't ask him to stay next to me but always within easy eye sight. At the lake, my friend and I walk our dogs to the lake off-leash. She is always impressed by Dakota because while her dog makes a blind bash for the lake, Dakota will rum 100 yards or so, then look back to make eye contact with me and wait for me to signal him to go the next hundred yards! at home, I play catch with him in the front yard--never had an off-leash problem. Even when other dogs or people walk by!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
seazr said:
OK--I shared my on leash woes; now, how are your doodles off leash?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! You funny kid! With out the gentle leader, Jonah would be a terror! Miko in public I wouldn't worry about. Jonah has never met a stranger and would go meet EVERYONE!!! :shock:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts